South Australian and Nothern Territory Events

Moderators: Andrew, miata

CapitalF
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Australian Motorkhana Champs

Postby CapitalF » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi guys n gals

Oct 5th is the Aust titles in Monarto SA and I'm dragging the weekend thrash-car Roadster, wife and billy lids from QLD to SA to participate (only the Roadster is getting dragged - behind the family Patrol in fact). We are making a 2-3 week family holiday of it and my 12yo boy is competing too.

Some details are here for anyone else interested: http://motorkhana-sa.com/Calendar/calendar.htm

Do any of you local folk compete in the motorkhanas?

Not that Im' looking for more competition... :-)

Peter

BTW - thanks to SuperMazdaKart (?) for the thread on Victor Harbour. I can see a day trip there for the family (in the Patrol). Any other highly recommended SA tourist activities for Mum, Dad and two 12yo's?
90 Silver Roadster 1.6 + GT2554, large IC, MS-PNP, lightened flywheel, HD Clutch, 2.5" exh, Teins, Whiteline, etc etc

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:50 pm

Ah another visitor, I'll let someone else organise a day out for ya 8)

Victor Harbor isn't bad at all. Some useful info at http://www.tourismvictorharbor.com.au/, maybe go for the horse tram ride to Granite Island for a Penguin Tour.

I don't think VH is far from Monarto, which is where the Greenhills Adventure Park is (don't know how good that place is though).

If your going into the Adelaide City, the Adelaide Zoo wouldn't be a bad stop off. Theres a tram which goes directly from the city to Glenelg Beaches too.

Which is where the Beachhouse is, it's a indoor amusement park thing that took over from Magic Mountain from way back. The Buffalo restaurant nearby should be good for a meal too, it's a floating boat (the ol school wooden with high mast & sails type) restaurant.

If you like wine maybe head out to the wine yards in Barossa, & also experience the Adelaide Hills (definately take the Roadster if you can, it's very MX-5 terrain if you know what I mean :) )

CapitalF
Fast Driver

Postby CapitalF » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:22 am

Thx SMK

We shall be pretty busy with days already planned but all local knowledge is welcomed.

A day at VH is def on the cards and another in the Barossa. Also a day at Monarto Zoo - a little closer than Adelaide :-)

Prob the other day into Adelaide / Glenelg or possibly a rest day in amongst the 4000 kms and competition :-D

Any other opinions on "Greenhills Adventure Park" welcomed. NB 2 x chn. I'd not heard of this one.

Thx again.

Peter
90 Silver Roadster 1.6 + GT2554, large IC, MS-PNP, lightened flywheel, HD Clutch, 2.5" exh, Teins, Whiteline, etc etc

redshoes

Postby redshoes » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:50 am

Monarto zoo is fabulous! I was up there a few weeks ago for the first time and was blown away. ZoosSA runs both Monarto & Adelaide zoos and they do these amazing "behind the scenes" tours if you are interested. They aren't cheap but then again, they are incredibly unique experiences. Here are the weblinks... Adelaide Zoo http://www.adelaidezoo.com.au/adelaide-zoo/boileau-animal-encounters/behind-the-scenes-tours and Monarto Zoo http://www.adelaidezoo.com.au/monarto-zoo/behind-the-scene-tours/meet-our-animals - one thing though - the "baby" cheetahs are little anymore even though they are still classed as adolecents! Gorgeous animal.
Greenhill Park is at Victor Harbor isn't it? I have no idea if it's still even running! SA Tourism has a great website that should give you some family ideas. I'd say you should go to Cleland Park (near Belair, up in the hills) but then you are from Oz aren't you? :mrgreen:

Can you provide some detail about what this motorkhana thing is? I am totally clueless (no blonde jokes).

CapitalF
Fast Driver

Postby CapitalF » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 am

Thx RedShoes

Ive already left a ph message at Monarto Zoo re their Behind Scenes Tours. Hopefully with it being school hols they wont be booked out already.

This site probably best describes the sport: http://www.motorkhana.com/faq.htm or this one I'm building for Qlders at present: http://sites.google.com/site/motorkhanasqld/Home

The link mentioned originally spells out the local SA folk running such events over your way.

The MX5 is an ideal car for this sport and also allows junior competitors from the age of 12 up as its classed by CAMs as a "Non Speed Event".

Very challenging, very close racing and no high costs like most motorsport.

Peter

emeseey
Learner Driver

Postby emeseey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:10 pm

I should be there but in a Holden Gemini Coupe. I need heaps more practice in the car though, I have only done 1 gymkhana in it and was absolutely hopeless! The SA champs are not long before the nationals so I will get some practice there and hopefully will be able to keep up with your 12 y.o ;) Good luck and I will come say hi when you are down. Lochie

CapitalF
Fast Driver

Postby CapitalF » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:04 am

Cool! What wheelbase is the Gemini? We may even be in the same class - B.?

Peter

emeseey
Learner Driver

Postby emeseey » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:40 pm

unfortunately the wheelbase of the Gemini puts it In the C class, I am still learning but my mate Alex has a white Gemini in the C class and absolutely tears it up. I could always enter the mx5 but I think it will be Gemini at this stage. CHeers

emeseey
Learner Driver

Postby emeseey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:04 pm

After the SA Motorkhana Champs I think I have changed my mind, I will probably be at the OZ champs in a 5! Look forward to it ;) Lochie

CapitalF
Fast Driver

Postby CapitalF » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:24 pm

Oh no! More competition! :lol:

How did you go in the Gem? A bit of a struggle by the sounds of it? I cant see any results on the Motorkhana-SA web site as yet?

Regards
Peter

emeseey
Learner Driver

Postby emeseey » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:50 pm

The Gemini got a bit hot at Mallala Twilight meet the night before the Motorkhana so I rocked up in my old man's 5, I opted his over mine because of the LSD + suspension etc and had an absolute ball... I put my entry in for the nationals 2 days ago with the mx5.. there are only 80 entries so still no guarantee cos it is a pretty late entry. I just realised there are a few U18 awards... so hopefully i can tell my friends im in top 10 best U18 motorkhana drivers in AUS? haha awesome, look to forward to having some fun on the day ;) Lochie

CapitalF
Fast Driver

Postby CapitalF » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:45 pm

Heh Lochie - you should have hung round for the presentation dinner - you were 2nd in Junior class!

Peter

PS. Our family had a fantastic time in SA - lotsa friendly folk over that part of the world. We visited many cellar doors of the Barossa valley, plus Norm and his Coolie Sheepdogs and the Whispering Wall (amazing) all in one day. We went to many tourist attractions in the Hills incl the Choc factory, cheese place next door, the Toy factory, Handorf farm, another day, a day at Victor Harbour/granite Island/Goolwa, a day at the Monarto Zoo including Behind scenes feeding of Lions - WOW! AND the Aust Motorkhana with a B class win for the MX5!!! yeh! What a great time - home safely now. 4,900kms in 2 weeks - happy kids, happy wife, happy life - we squeezed a lot in! :-)

Boags
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby Boags » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:58 pm

Well done Peter!

You won the class? That's excellent... :D
Spartan Motor Sport : http://www.SpartanMS.com.au

CapitalF
Fast Driver

Postby CapitalF » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:27 pm

Thx Geoff.

Yep - I'm pretty dam happy! ...and 21st out of 68 outright - there was about 40 in the Specials and A classes together so that was pleasing to beat many of them.

Was pretty close in class with a very experienced Sydney guy in a Lancer coming second. Consistency won the day tho. Goes to show the MX5 handling is pretty good stuff - which all of us here knew anyway :-)

Peter.

SuperMazdaKart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby SuperMazdaKart » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:21 pm

good on ya!

glad you had a good time, even if we didn't get to meet ya.

Return to “South Australia/NT”