South Australian and Nothern Territory Events

Moderators: Andrew, miata

thehillsarecalling
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

6 Hour Regularity Relay 4th May - Taking Entries Now

Postby thehillsarecalling » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Hi all,

The MX-5 Club of SA is looking to put 2 (or more) teams in this year's 6 Hour Regularity Relay, and invitations are now open to all who are interested in competing.

What's a 6 Hour Regularity Relay

It's like the 400m Olympic relay, except more cars, and less Olympic.

No seriously, it's a team based circuit race event held at Mallala raceway. Teams of 4 - 6 drivers compete by racing against a pre specified time. Teams score points for completing the most number of laps at the specified time. Laps which are slower (due to hitting traffic etc) or laps that are faster (because your lead food overpowered your sense of control) might not incur points.

Each team has one driver on the circuit at a time, though there can be up to 20 cars on the track at any one time. As it's a "timed" race, and not a "flat out" race, cars, skill level and prior racing experience count for less than consistency, control and team work.

I wanna race my non-5 / Skyline / Evo / Lotus / bathtub with wheels

We'd prefer 5s, but let us know what you've got, and if we need numbers, we might be able to accommodate. Last year the 2nd team ran a non-MX5 in it. Of course they came 2nd bottom because the car experienced mechanical issues and the driver didn't complete the mandatory minimum number of laps for the team. Once again, all the MX5's on the day proved to be break-proof :). Mazda reliability FTW!

Great, let's do it!

Congrats, you're about to have a really fun experience. But before we start driving around in PURE ANGER :evil: , we need to do a bit of planning :roll: . There will be an upcoming meeting (probably at a local watering hole) shortly, where we will organise teams, plan the day, and help out those who need to prepare their cars / haven't raced before. I will update this thread when the meeting date has been set.

At a minimum, you will need a car that is Mallala track ready. If you're itching to race your 5, this means you will require a roll bar to be fitted to your car, which is a requirement of all open top cars as per the Mallala track regulations. You will also need a fire extinguisher / few other signage bits on your car, but these are all easily achievable prior to the day.

You will also need to have raced around Mallala at one of the Super Sprints, or on a practice track day. If you haven't raced before, then get cracking, as there are only a few track days left prior to the 6 hour this year.

So what do I do to get involved?

Firstly, reply to this post or send me a PM so that I know you're interested and can keep you in the loop. There are a few guys in the MX-5 club of SA who are well versed on this event (much more than I am), and I can put you in touch with them. Once the planning date is set, make sure you make it down to there so that we can set you up in a team etc etc.

I really want to be involved, but I lack a car / driving license / desire to drive in pure anger etc

Fantastic. In addition to pilots & vehicles, we also need radio & timing teams, as well as a pit board crew. The drivers are driving to a lap time, but no radio communication with the cars is allowed, so the way they know if they're going too fast (or slow) is via a crew who time laps with a stop watch, and 2 way radio back to the pit board team who hold out signage to the drivers. It's an easy job, and a great spectator role. The race goes for 6 hours, and it's great to have as many hands as possible in the pit crew team to relieve each other for food / dunny breaks / got-distracted-from-doing-your-job-and-started-perving-on-all-the-hot-machinery-in-the-pits breaks.

Further Steps

As things progress, I will keep this thread up to date. Don't forget to post / PM so that I can get you on the list!
Daily: '91 Malibu - NB8B conversion, 6sp, Teins, Whitelines
Terribly Missed: '02 Black SP (#55)
Plus about 12 others over the years..

thehillsarecalling
Fast Driver

Re: 6 Hour Regularity Relay 4th May - Taking Entries Now

Postby thehillsarecalling » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi All,

We've firmed up numbers, and it looks like we'll be entering 3 teams in the 6 hour this year. A serious team, a not as serious team, and a you-drive-a-Japanese-car-and-want-to-go-racing team. Each team has 4 members at present, so there's still scope to upgrade this (max 6 members per team).

Supp regs have been posted, and entry forms are out. If you want to get in on it, let me know ASAP as we're 95% the way to locking in the teams as they stand.

Once again, we're a little short on the pit crew / pit board / timing side of things, so if you want to get involved but don't (or can't) race, let us know so that you can get in on the action :).

thehillsarecalling
Fast Driver

Postby thehillsarecalling » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi all,

Due to various evil reasons that have conspired against us, we're down to two teams. At present, the teams are pretty much locked in, and so we can't take any more entries.

However, we're still on the hunt for pit crew - so if you like MX-5s and live in SA, we would love for you to join us on the day. There will be a briefing session at the MG car club on the 23rd of April - if you want to know a bit more about what's involved, and who the people are, it's the perfect place to catch up.

Looking forward to the day already!

thehillsarecalling
Fast Driver

Postby thehillsarecalling » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:18 pm

Hello again,

So turns out we're back up to 3 teams, and we have had the largest turnout of pit crew / helpers ever (20+). Our showing at the MG Car Club surprised some of the other clubs :).

The last team meeting for the 3 MX-5 teams will be at 7pm on this Thursday @ Cafe Va Bene in Campbelltown. If you're interested, come along, otherwise see you this Sunday on race day!

Best of luck to everyone on the day :)

roket52
Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby roket52 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:44 pm

unfortunately my car isnt quite ready for the track yet but ill be definitely coming out for a look and to say hello. Good luck to all that are racing! Can anyone tell me what time the racing kicks off?
NB8B| MCA Blue 10K/7K |SE Sways| 8lb Flywheel| 4.1 LSD| Lots a Fun!

rossint
Fast Driver

Postby rossint » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:58 pm

11-5. Entry is free.

thehillsarecalling
Fast Driver

Postby thehillsarecalling » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:07 pm

Bit late, but time for a bit of a summary......

Cracker of a day, with the usual thrills and spills of racing.

Thrills:
Our teams placing 2nd and 6th out of a pack of 20 teams!
Great team work amongst all the MX-5 crew

Spills:
Uncharacteristic breakdowns - one team lost two cars (one clutch failure, and one overheating issue)
Rob's clubman going for an excursion through the duck pond.

Results can be found here: http://www.mscasa.com/results/2014/6hour_relay.aspx

Thanks to all the helpers and timing people, as well as the MSCASA and the officials who made the day possible.

Already looking forward to next year :)

Return to “South Australia/NT”