Victorian and Tasmanian Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, miata, bensale

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Fixed-back bucket seats

Postby davekmoore » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:09 pm

JLDM wrote:
davekmoore wrote:* Yes, I should have longer bolts to compensate for this - any offers? Also, both my seats have been in and out so many times that either the bolts or the threads in the car are getting burred. Any suggestions to sort this?

Just in relation to you bolt issue with them getting burred. I've had the seats in and out so many times its a lot of work to get the bolts back in. I just bought a thread tapping kit with some lubricant which I'm hoping can clean up the threads and get them in much easier.

Did you get 7/16 UNF which I've been told about today as being the international size for seat belt bolts?

Or, like me, did you expect them to be metric on a Japanese car?
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StuwieP » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:35 pm

^7/16 also seems to be the size for harness eyelets. pretty sure that's almost totally irrelevant but hoorah for useless trivia.

Has anybody fit a Sparco Rev Plus into an mx? sounds like the sparco rev would fit easily but it's been discontinued. found some of the new seats for a good price but the sizing is iffy. The seat internal sizing (the part you sit in -not sure how else to describe it) is narrower than the sprints (good thing for me) but the external dimensions cut it pretty close to FM's seating guide: the base is nearly identical to the Sprint but the wings are a lot wider. A bloke in the uk said they fit but also that it took several hours work (and he only had one), which i'm not averse to but i'd rather not break my car to get some seats in. of course he might just have been ham-fisted.
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:42 pm

I hear what you're saying Stuwie, but M10 1.25 or 1.5 bolts would have done no good to the threads in the 7/16ths UNF captive nuts, which would have been a pain every time I wanted to swap the seats.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

22Silver
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby 22Silver » Mon May 27, 2013 5:42 pm

I have a Sprint junior fitted in mine. Just a hair short of 6ft and it's about perfect. Average build average shoulders and it's tight across the shoulders, with just the right amount of room for my rear.

If you have long arms just be aware that it is very upright, and to put your feet comfortably on the peddles (able to comfortably and fully depress the clutch without reaching) it puts your arms quite close. It also has very little lumbar support. I am going to make up a small, flatish pillow with velcro to press there for comfort, as it seems the seat is covered in a very tight knit 'soft part of velcro' which is convenient. I may also put a spacer and use longer bolts on the front attachment of the rails to the car, to gently tilt the seat back a tad, if that's safe.
"Don't go crashing into Vulvas. *Volvos"

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Mon May 27, 2013 7:17 pm

Beware that it's incredibly easy to screw up your seat's floor bolt threads, the metal is very soft.

When you're installing the bolts, you should do them by hand as far as possible to ensure that you don't screw them up.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Aussie Stig
Stig

Postby Aussie Stig » Mon May 27, 2013 11:01 pm

Lokiel wrote:Beware that it's incredibly easy to screw up your seat's floor bolt threads, the metal is very soft.

When you're installing the bolts, you should do them by hand as far as possible to ensure that you don't screw them up.

True.

It is a known fact that 50% of people are of less than average intelligence

Return to “Victoria/Tasmania”