Sandown times/speeds

Victorian and Tasmanian Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, miata, bensale

StuwieP
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Sandown times/speeds

Postby StuwieP » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Since it's not really an mx-friendly course, with those two long bits in between the corners, I haven't seen much in the way of times from mx-drivers, save Lightyear's far out of reach sub 1.30s.

Driving a stock mx with 195 width re002s on not-lightweight 15x7s

First track day (John Bowe training thing), went from a 1.55 to consistently lapping in the 1.44s.

v/max was barely over 150km/h, didn't make it out of 4th gear if I pushed for the redline. I found I could more or less keep pace with other cars down the dandenong rd end.

What times (and top speeds) are you achieving, and with what mods?

Cheers
Stu
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Sandown times/speeds

Postby rascal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Hardly a fair comparison between your stock na6 on RE002s and lightyears hybrid rocketship on R specs.

As a more useful comparison the Vic club record at sandown for std NA is a 1:37. This is a NA8 on star specs, so probably a second or two quicker than your car.

StuwieP
Fast Driver

Postby StuwieP » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:58 am

haha I wasn't comparing my time to his at all :) that would be horribly depressing and no good as a guide anyway.

Just looking across the forum there're lots of times from NSW tracks, some at Winton, a few at PI, but not many at Sandown.

I think that most of the time I lost was in the straights [edit: compared to other cars on the day; there was a GTR I'd catch through the corners then he'd open the taps but I don't think he was pushing it, while I was :twisted: ].

That's not to say I couldn't have gone faster through the corners - I'm sure with practice I could, and that's where all the challenge is anyway. I think one of the instructors said "experience has shown that most people are very good drivers in a straight line."

I'm just generally interested in other lap times from Sandown, whether you're driving a turbo mx with slicks and 5 grand suspension or a stock mx like me.

Cheers
Stu
My NA6/SE build
Engine #1 RIP 04/07/2020

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:20 am

Further to this, the lap records for the Vic MX5 club are;

Std NA - 1:37.4 - stock NA8 on Star Specs,
Std NB - 1:35.1 - stock NB8A
Std NC - 1:31.5 - stock NC with high end coilovers, Star specs
Clubman - 1:34.3 - stock 10AE with 15x7.5 6ULs and Star specs
Modified - 1:29.4 - modded hybrid NA6/NB8B on 15x9 & 225 R specs (David Wilkens rocketship)
Restricted Open - 1:28.8 - Dave Wilkens car with added aero, (fastback, splitter, rear wing, side skirts).
Open - 1:23.0 - 200kw Turbo NB8A with aero, slicks, etc, etc.

the list can be found under Track Records hyperlink at http://mx5vic.org.au/motorsport/motor-sport-results/

You'll also find all our results from previous events at Sandown, (and previous years) which lists all the times for each driver (and their class) , so you can get a better/bigger picture of the times.

cheers
Russ

bensale
Racing Driver

Postby bensale » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:53 pm

In my NA6 was doing high 1.36s on 16' Kumho KU31s at Sandown with the only mods being Bilsteins and kings and a catback exhaust. So probably a fairly comparable setup to your car at the moment. I think I hit about 160km/h down the straights.

With really old R888s and a similar setup (+ intake, headers, cat etc) I did a 1.35.2. I think with the car as is now (KW competition suspension, Federal FZ201s etc) it would probably have a 1:32 in it, but I don't think any more.

Personally I don't like the track.. It's pretty boring in an NA6 and the relative laptimes in comparison to guys with NB and NCs who I'm faster than at P.I & Winton is pretty frustrating. The only way you can make up big time in the dry is by attacking kerbs (which the old suspension wasn't good at) or over the top where the risk of hitting the wall is too big for my liking.

This is me also at a John Bowe day (I produce their videos & think they run an awesome course with heaps of track time) chasing down a 911 & R35 GTR which just disappear down the straights. You should book one of their days at Winton, let me know which and I'll try to head up.

www.othersideproductions.com
NA6-Phillip Island 1:57.7, Winton 1:42.9, Winton Short 1:12.4, Sandown 1:35.2, Wakefield 1.15.9, Nurburgring 9:17.0

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:08 pm

bensale wrote:I think I hit about 160km/h down the straights.

Hmm, to think, you're hitting vmax 160km/h at Sandown, and I hit 155km/h speed limiter at Sandown, halfway down the straight.
Next time i'm there (sans limiter) I expect 180km/h+
Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

bensale
Racing Driver

Postby bensale » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:29 pm

It's a bit depressing, Phillip Island at least exit speeds come into it more.. But with simpler corners there is less to gain on exits at Sandown. I did Sandown once with the roof off and was just hitting 150 down the straight (and we're talking spedo speed not GPS here!!)
www.othersideproductions.com
NA6-Phillip Island 1:57.7, Winton 1:42.9, Winton Short 1:12.4, Sandown 1:35.2, Wakefield 1.15.9, Nurburgring 9:17.0

beavis
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby beavis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 pm

I didn't put up a video of the White car at Sandown with the limiter, it was too embarrasing..

I just checked my last time at Sandown in the Black car, GPS data says both main straight and back straight vmax 170km/h.

Turbo NB Build Thread | BeavisMotorsport.com | YouTube.com/bbeavis | Cars: NA6, NA8-VVT, NB-Turbo, ND-2L

Return to “Victoria/Tasmania”