Suggestions for Brake Pads for a 2010 NC2 for Sprints

Victorian and Tasmanian Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, miata, bensale

Jitag
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Suggestions for Brake Pads for a 2010 NC2 for Sprints

Postby Jitag » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:23 pm

I need some good advice on the best brake pads to put on my NC2 for sprints at all the usual Victorian tracks. I've had both Hawk and Porterfield (R4-1) recommended, but need some good advice as to which specific pads would best suit the car. I'm looking for pads that can be used on the road as well, but are better on the track, with minimal fade. It would be great if they would last up to four rounds, but performance on any given day is more important than longevity. Any specific suggestions re specific make and part number would be most welcome. Thanks, Jitag.

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Suggestions for Brake Pads for a 2010 NC2 for Sprints

Postby rascal » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Jitag wrote:I'm looking for pads that can be used on the road as well, but are better on the track, with minimal fade.

You may be better having a second set of pads and swap them in for track days and out afterwards.
Trying to get one pad to handle heat of track work, but also cold stops on road is difficult, You will always have to compromise one way or the other. With two sets the need for compromise goes away..

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Swapping to track pads at the track may be the only way to give you all the stopping power you want at the track. They will avoid the overheating and thus high friction surface wear and weird brake feel and random amounts of deceleration and pedal feel you get at the track with a street pad. You'll also avoid the possibility of wearing out street pads completely within one day and junking the rotors. You'll need to warm up track pads on the out lap.

Swapping back to street pads afterwards will give you safe stopping from cold on the road on the way home and until the next track day.

You might be able to get combinations of road and track pads that will avoid the need for you to do a full bedding in process for every swap.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Lokiel
Forum legend
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Lokiel » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:59 pm

If you're not prepared to swap pads, consider EBC Redstuff pads, they're more track oriented (entry-level) but usable on the street too (EBC Yellowstuff are dedicated track pads, Greenstuff are for the street).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:56 am

A1RM's or Winmax W3's

Good street pads and suitable for light track duties.

I have been using Winmax W5's on the street however cold are a little unpredictable, but hot are very streetable plus they make a great track pads for serious work! On the track ihave been able to gf in dress of 1g braking

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:46 am

Pads suitable for light track duties can still fall apart in one day at Sandown leaving metal to metal contact and at least one ruined rotor as well as a new understanding for different lines and speeds around turn one.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:15 pm

I would suggest Winmax W5's as they can take a beating on the track and can be used on the street provided you understand their properties cold.

http://www.motorsportbrakes.com.au/product/winmax-w5/

A1RM
http://qfm.com.au/page/6/Performance_Range

Jitag
Driver

Postby Jitag » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The most appealing seems to be the Winmax w-5s, but they are not available for the front for NC2s. If and when I actually get competitive, the idea of the two sets of pads might appeal, but until then I would prefer to compromise with pads that can handle both. I've currently got EBC Yellowstuff, as I was advised to hold off on the Reds due to some reported issues with dust and wear. The yellows are fine except for the day after a track day, when they feel gritty and make some funny noises. They appear to put a yellowy-brown build-up on the rotors, which comes off after a day or so normal road use. Thanks again, Jitag

davekmoore
Speed Racer

Postby davekmoore » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:35 pm

In terms of wear and tear on pads and rotors there's no subsitute for 600 brake fluid and running race pads at the track. Maybe add some ducting? In my case at least, add some tuition in using less brake (my best lap ever was AFTER using ALL the pad material in an afternoon -again, so I had no front brakes left).

CPDJ
Learner Driver

Postby CPDJ » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:14 pm

This may be an old thread but I thought it would be worth adding my 2 cents. I have a 2010 NC2 that I have sprinted from new and also use as my daily driver. I experimented with a few pads early on but found the standard pads and rotors are the best. No fade, but high wear on the track- 1 of 2 sprints per set.
Last year I installed coil offers and sports exhaust, my speed raised considerably and so I tried Hawk HP+ on DBA 4000 rotors. On the road they only needed 2 mild stops to warm up sufficiently. No noise but plenty of dust. Lasted four sprints, needing one lap to warm up sufficiently, but disks needed machining after Sandown, and again two sprints later. Pads also show curvature of the backing plates. I'm looking into brake ducts to see if that helps, otherwise will try EBC rotors next.

Return to “Victoria/Tasmania”