Recommended NB sports muffler

Victorian and Tasmanian Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, miata, bensale

Badger
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Recommended NB sports muffler

Postby Badger » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:38 am

I'm a new comer to the MX5 and have a 2001 car with a very quiet exhaust. I'd love to be able to hear the note a little better. Can anyone recommend a sports muffler (not too loud). Somewhere near Hobart, but I don't mind paying postage for the right one. Thanks

SileNceR
Fast Driver

Re: Recommended NB sports muffler

Postby SileNceR » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:05 pm

This might seem like the opposite to what you've asked, but try putting a pod filter on the car and see if it makes the engine louder-enough, before shelling out for a new muffler.
HAD (sold 2010) 2000 Emerald Green Mica NB8B
NOW 2001 Brilliant Black NB8B
OTHER 2010 Mazda 3 BL MPS Luxury

joshuam
Fast Driver

Postby joshuam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:58 pm

As above, that was my first avenue to tide me over for the first year until I get a catback exhaust made. Makes a notable difference, and is cheap and easily reversible.
'00 Midnight Blue NB8B - 4.1 Torsen 2 | Tein Flex-Z | Enkei RP01 :)
Garage Thread: Here

Badger
Learner Driver

Postby Badger » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into it. In not back home for a couple of weeks and still have an ignition barrel failure to solve (now hopefully have a secondhand part to fix her with).
I'll let you know how things go.

SileNceR
Fast Driver

Postby SileNceR » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:52 am

Agreed, pod filter made a bigger noise difference on my car than replacing the rear muffler with a mazdaspeed unit. Maybe from outside the car it's different, but in cabin the pod made the bigger difference
HAD (sold 2010) 2000 Emerald Green Mica NB8B
NOW 2001 Brilliant Black NB8B
OTHER 2010 Mazda 3 BL MPS Luxury

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:52 pm

An intake is a nice option if you want to be very quiet when needed, I have a coldside intake on mine and you can only hear it when there;s some load, free revving it's pretty quiet.

As far as exhaust goes, on the NB there are two mufflers, the large one at the rear bumper, and a smaller one before the diff.
While I've not heard one in person, apparently having the small muffler removed will make it a little louder without going too crazy.

Apparently the muffler from the MX5 SE (the turbo one) is also a cheap way to get a little more sound from a non-turbo car.

I used to have an RSR Exmag muffler on mine, and while it sounded nice it was very loud (idle at 100db per my meter, legal is 90db at 4800rpm or something). the day after I sold it I drove the car with no muffler and it didn't really sound much different volume wise.
Basically, stay away from the cannon style mufflers if you can, they offer minimal sound reduction.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

Return to “Victoria/Tasmania”