Thinking of motor sport but?

Victorian and Tasmanian Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Stu, Andrew, miata, bensale

aupsloptp
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Thinking of motor sport but?

Postby aupsloptp » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi all, first time poster. Would appreciate some help working out if I can do motor sport with my SE. Love to try, but I also love the unblemished stock nature of my car (Yeah, weird huh?)

1. I know a roll bar is pretty much required, but is there such thing as a removeable one?? I want to be able to stow it away for daily drives. And would it require massive visible permanent holes left right and centre to fit?

2. If I use an aftermarket ECU, does that exclude me from the "stock" categories?? I don't mind being the slowest car if not. Just after fun. I'm playing with an Adaptronic just to iron out a few things. You know...

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianoz
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Thinking of motor sport but?

Postby ianoz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:46 pm

if you want to try a toe in the water, there are "Come and Try" days run by MSCA specifically for first timers in their road cars. Next one is at Sandown in June, & Phillip Island in December. These are relaxed non-competitive days with a mix of theory, laps with an instructor, and laps by yourself. Great way to give it a try (put my daughter through two of them, now she's building up her own car). Advantage is that the entry fee includes CAMs licence, & you only need a Helmet and the normal long-sleeves etc. http://www.msca.net.au/

For normal sprint events Roll bars and harnesses aren't mandatory (but a REALLY good idea!). The rollbar would leave bolt holes behind if you remove it. Don't know about all events, but the sprints I've been too all need a securely mounted fire extinguisher - normally on a bracket fixed under the passenger seat front mount bolts so no need to drill holes in the car. (and bl**dy metal tyre valve caps)

In terms of the ECU - it depends on which series you run in. The MX5 vic club events it would affect classes. The MSCA events just run on car age and capacity, not mods. Other clubs may vary..
NA6 '89 red, NB8B '01 silver

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:21 pm

I have the Automotive Plus bar - there will be bolt holes but they will be under carpet. Not easy to install and remove on a regular basis (leave it in).

Come N Try days are the way to go for a first time try. I'd recommend something on a skid pan or a motorkhana as a good starting point for learning car control at lower speeds.

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Have you looked here yet? https://mx5vic.org.au/motorsport/
’95 NA8

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:34 pm

If your just wanting to "dip your toes", the only thing I'd recommend for your SE is a set of brake pads to handle the added heat from track work. Hawk HP+ would be adequate for first timer stuff.

Roll bars, Harnesses etc are a wise move but not mandatory for club track days, go down that path after you get addicted :D

Highly recommend doing a skid pan day first too.

You can have lots of safe fun in a bone stock SE at the track ;)
MeepMeep

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Roadrunner wrote:If your just wanting to "dip your toes", the only thing I'd recommend for your SE is a set of brake pads to handle the added heat from track work. Hawk HP+ would be adequate for first timer stuff.

Roll bars, Harnesses etc are a wise move but not mandatory for club track days, go down that path after you get addicted :D

Highly recommend doing a skid pan day first too.

You can have lots of safe fun in a bone stock SE at the track ;)

Brake pads for sure.

Skid pan is a great idea.

Roll bar can be a good thing but before you commit have a look at other MX5s with bars and see whether the driver's helmet is below the top of the bar. You might not want to choose one that is below the top of your head and/or gives you no shoulder protection.

You'll feel quite busy first time out but you still need to somehow keep a careful eye on the temp gauge. Any sign of it going above dead centre and it may be too late. If you're using full throttle for a lot of the time the little IHI turbo will produce a lot of heat. Consider extra cooling before your 3rd or 4th event.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

aupsloptp
Learner Driver

Postby aupsloptp » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for all your help folks! Will certainly take her out for a spin ASAP & see how she goes. Probably will be addicted soon & then maybe just buy a track NA to play with. Can't have too many MX-5s can you?

hrtvic
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hrtvic » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:06 pm

The next round of the Sprint Championship for the MX-5 Club of Victoria and Tasmania is at Sandown on 23 April. So even if you aren't ready to get on track by then, it is a great way to meet a few people, have a look at a few cars that range from Standard to track dedicated, and generally get a feel for things. It is what I did and I've never looked back!

Just turn up and ask for the Motorsport Captain or his assistant (me) as a point of contact if you need it.

Nuddy
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Nuddy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:45 am

aupsloptp wrote:Thanks for all your help folks! Will certainly take her out for a spin ASAP & see how she goes. Probably will be addicted soon & then maybe just buy a track NA to play with. Can't have too many MX-5s can you?

Absolutely!
Don't bother with the roll bar for your SE unless you want one for looks.

For any turbo engine a EGT (exhaust gas temperature) readout is essential.
As davekmoore says, the coolant temp gauge won't tell you anything until it's probably too late.
I would fit a EGT readout even for a turbo that I was never going to use for motorsport or towing.

Back to motorsport. MX-5 is among a small group of vehicles that are suitable for motorsport 'out of the box'.
You can run any model MX-5 absolutely 'stock standard' as long as all is in good condition. Most would need a 'fresh' cam belt and related ancillaries and a 'fresh' water pump, oil and filter change and good brake pads and 'fresh' brake fluid. Run the tyres you have to start with as long as they have enough tread left to get through the event and back home with at least 2 mm remaining at the end.

I bought a 98 NB8a just after Xmas, not really intending to get into motorsport and then I joined the club (i'm in NSW). Then I went to Tassie for February and drove some Targa roads (in Nissan Patrol) and got enthused.
Came back and took in a track day (spectating) on the way home.

I had the cam belt and water pump replaced + major service and tune + replaced suspension bushes (with rubber not poly) and wheel align.

Fitted fire extinguisher and got a magnetic blue triangle and did my first supersprint at Eastern Creek on 2nd April.
The stock 1840cc engine (non turbo) has adequate power. I won't be looking for more for the forseeable future.

I'd recommend the 'Come and Try' with your SE and if you like it grab a cheap NA8 and run that stock standard.
I think the 1600 engine has to work too hard but the 1840 is 'Just right'. As long as everything is in good conditionyou can just run standard and upgrade tyres as they wear out.
I've added a Torsen diff with 4.3:1 ratio. I've got a club track day next Sunday and a hillclimb on the 30th. Then I'll be upgrading to R-Spec tyres (used). No plans for engine upgrade.
I want to do some tarmac rallies so the NB will be fine for that but If I get into 'door to door racing' I will get a NA8 and build it into a track car with full cage, coilover suspension and lightweight panels. I still thing the 1840 non turbo will be adequate.

Go for it, you'll love it.
NC 2.5 race/tarmac rally car
NC 2.0 race/tarmac rally car Sold
NB8a Sold
Patrol GUIV TD42tdi for touring and towing
BMW R1200R for daily ride

Return to “Victoria/Tasmania”