Save Wakefield Park Raceway

New South Wales and Canberra Motorsport

Moderators: Andrew, -alex, miata, Midori, Charlie Brown

hamx5ter
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Save Wakefield Park Raceway

Postby hamx5ter » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:53 pm

As much as it seems important to the motorsport community, WP is not an issue that elections would be fought over...

I'm surprised he even bothered to make an announcement, and $1m isn't really going to go far is it?

It's just BAC having mismanaged the whole thing.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:06 pm

It is a local issue, so it got some attention. Nothing on the front page of the SMH that I saw, but it will get a good run in the local media, it is a boost for the ALP candidate there.

A million dollyroos will buy a lot of double glazing, maybe a bit of a sound wall (they are pretty useless though). Mostly though it is posturing, the local council is pretty much on-side anyway, but it might mollify the affected residents that they might be going to get steamrollered, but there will be some baubles for them to show the new Govt still loves them - earmuffs for all!!

The circuit still needs to comply with the DA conditions which are too onerous (it seems), so that means a new DA has to happen before anything can restart at the circuit. Over to you BAC (or is it Mr Quinn?) - at least when/if there is a change of government ...

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 pm

In a win for Goulburn and motorsport, the Shelleys (Pheasant Wood) have bought Wakefield Park. Now the hard work starts, getting a new DA that they can operate under.

Bring it on.

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:42 pm

Build thread

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver

Postby CrazyRacer » Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:58 pm

That one seems to be behind a paywall.

Here's another link...

Wakefield Park re-opening proposed

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:47 pm

Thanks CR, that is strange, I have never registered there and didn't realise others couldn't see it too. I think that covers most of territory that the local rag had.

Geeze there are some obnoxious idiots around, reading some of those comments. :roll: :frown:

Build thread

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:59 pm

greenMachine wrote:Geeze there are some obnoxious idiots around, reading some of those comments. :roll: :frown:

Totally agree, Shelley is clearly trying to mend bridges and the idiot brigade are doing their best to burn them down again.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:38 am

Thanks to a poster elsewhere, this came to my attention: Speedcafe report on WP reopening, track changes. Good to see that things appear to be moving forward, and more detail is emerging of what the future may hold for WP.

But. Flat tracks are boring. Earthmoving is expensive. Hopefully a more creative solution is forthcoming, perhaps having the cars face away from noise-sensitive areas when accelerating uphill. Anyway I would have thought that enforcing noise limits would be sufficient.

But if that is what it takes, and the cost is bearable (and it will the participants who pay for it), ...

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Wakefield Park Raceway - saved by the Shelleys!

Postby greenMachine » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:33 pm

Borrowed from the bookFace

Wakefield Park Raceway Secures Future with Acquisition by Pheasant Wood Circuit Owners
Goulburn, NSW – June 6, 2023

We are thrilled to announce the successful acquisition of Wakefield Park Raceway, a beloved motorsport facility in Goulburn, NSW, by the owners of nearby Pheasant Wood Circuit. This momentous development marks a significant milestone in securing the future of Wakefield Park Raceway and fostering a collaborative and respectful relationship with our neighbours.

In the wake of its closure in September 2022, Wakefield Park Raceway faced a period of uncertainty. Recognising the vital role Wakefield Park plays in the motorsport and local Goulburn Mulwaree community, we made the decision to invest in its future, guided by our shared love for the sport. We are humbled by the opportunity to contribute to the preservation and enhancement of this facility, commonly known as "the nations spectator's circuit".

With the ownership transition now complete, our immediate focus is on restoring the circuit and its facilities. We understand the concerns expressed by residents and the council regarding noise levels, and we are committed to addressing these issues in close collaboration with all stakeholders. Our aim is to find practical solutions that respect the needs and aspirations of the local community and motorsport fraternity while ensuring the continued operation of Wakefield Park Raceway.

While there is work ahead of us, we are eagerly looking forward to commencing the necessary repairs and renovations, with the goal of reopening the circuit on a limited scale later this year. Our vision extends beyond that, as we aspire to host substantive events in 2024, delivering exciting experiences for motorsport enthusiasts.

We express our sincere gratitude to the people of Goulburn for their unwavering support and enthusiasm throughout this process. Your faith in Wakefield Park Raceway has been instrumental in making this acquisition possible. We are dedicated to working hand in hand with our neighbours, in a spirit of unity, mutual respect and collaboration as we navigate the path ahead.

To keep you updated on the latest developments and future plans, we will soon introduce a mailing list. By subscribing, you will receive regular updates on our progress, upcoming events, and other exciting announcements pertaining to Wakefield Park Raceway's transformation.
As owners of both Pheasant Wood Circuit and Wakefield Park Raceway, we will ensure that this iconic circuit remains a treasured destination for motorsport enthusiasts.

Steve Shelley
Owner

About Wakefield Park Raceway:
Wakefield Park Raceway is a beloved motorsport facility located in Goulburn, NSW. Renowned for its challenging track and extensive facilities, it has long been cherished by racing enthusiasts and professional drivers alike. Under the ownership of the team behind Pheasant Wood Circuit, Wakefield Park Raceway is poised for an exciting future, fostering a close and respectful relationship with the community.

Build thread

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:15 am

Bit of an update, progress on works is being made.

WIN News (Canberra) story but I can only find a Instaface link to the video...

https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsCanberr ... 8199870451
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

rascal
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby rascal » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:02 am

Nice to see a news story about a racetrack (re) opening for a change rather than the opposite which sadly seemed far too prevalent of late..

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:11 am

Some more news, basically things are still progressing...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-10-07/ ... /102943198
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Nevyn72
Speed Racer

Postby Nevyn72 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:03 pm

Bit of an update if you have Bookface access... :wink:

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1101435497649526

Return to “New South Wales/ACT”