New South Wales and Canberra Motorsport

Moderators: Andrew, -alex, miata, Midori, Charlie Brown

zossy1
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Registration Requirements - Standard Supersprint Classes

Postby zossy1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi guys,

Trying to figure out what to do with the black NB8B and have been giving some thought to running some supersprints.

However, I have noticed that most of the standard or clubman classes require road registration.

The black car is a stat write off so this can't be accommodated with normal rego.

Is there any way around this? Is there some kind of club rego available in NSW for this kind of situation?

Thanks guys :)

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Re: Registration Requirements - Standard Supersprint Classes

Postby manga_blue » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Type 3B and Type SVB are both OK for your car without rego. 1:10 at Wakefield would put you at the front of the field in 3B. You'd need maybe 1:04 to win SVB.

Check out this year's results. http://www.supersprints.com.au/forms/ti ... 0Times.pdf
’95 NA8

zossy1
Racing Driver

Postby zossy1 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:25 pm

Looks like 4B would also work if I caged it?

Not a huge fan of either the CAMS 3J or 3D rule set (for Class 3 and 4 respectively) but gives me food for thought - thanks Phil.

Does the NSW MX5 Club run a Supersprint championship like the Vics? I like the Modified 90kw power limited class rules they run...
Last edited by zossy1 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Penguin
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Black_Penguin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 pm

Yes the NSW club championship is in a supersprint format. Tech regs can be found on the club website.
My Garage Thread WP 1:16.1 SMSP South 1:10.0 WSID 15.6

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:14 am

NSW runs supersprint formats with run group sizes of around 10 cars in 6 minutes of timed running at SMS South and Wakefield. They adopted the Vics' 90rwkw class a few years ago (Class 6). I've been competing in that one for many years in both states. It's usually the class with the largest number of entries. It means you can have a decent daily driver and a lot of fun in a precisely setup but fairly gutless car. Class lap record (mine 8) ) is 1:12.1.

It is restricted to road registered in NSW though. If yours is unregistered then you'd probably be placed in the unlimited modified n/a Class 9 and you'd be running against the likes of Ralph, Phil A and Steve Green at around 1:09.

The NSW club also competes in the state CAMS Supersprint Championship. The 90rwkw Class 6 becomes a problem there because you get completely outgunned in Class 2B by modified Elises and the likes of Ralph. I'm not sure what your goals are but if I were you with an unregistered NB then I'd modify it to around 105-110rwkw with stock intake config, set it to really stop and handle and compete in NSW Class 9 and CAMS Class 3B.
’95 NA8

zossy1
Racing Driver

Postby zossy1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:54 am

Thanks Phil, good advice. Given where I'm going with the car, that is probably quite doable but will take some time to get the car there engine wise, especially given the blue car needs an engine rebuild at the end of the year too. It would have been nice to just leave it stock.

manga_blue
Forum Guru

Postby manga_blue » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Don't just take my advice. Mike tends to play around with club class compliances a little bit to even out the competition and to best place drivers in classes. That's how guran got booted up into clubman class with a bog stock NA6. I suggest you give Mike a call to talk about your options.
’95 NA8

david_syd_au
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby david_syd_au » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:24 pm

With a non-registered (non-register-able) normally aspirated NB, you are limited to classes 3B, 4B and SVB in NSW Supersprints, and class 9 in club track days.

In 2014, Supersprint class 3B was not as hotly contested as last year, and a 1:13 at Wakefield would make you competitive.

Class 4B has been between Ed and myself this year. My car could run in 3B except that the wing is a bit too big, and Ed moved from 3B to 4B this year for "a challenge". To be competitive in 4B you would need to be in very low 1:10s, verging on 1:09s at Wakefield, which is hard with stock engine internals. Ask me how I know :-|

In SVB, you have Roger Heard running 1:04s at Wakefield, so the competition is really for 2nd place, with 1:13s typical.

In club track day class 9, Ralph and Phil are in the mid to low 1:09s.

My advice would be to go for some modest horsepower with bolt-ons, improve the handling, and you should be competitive in Supersprint class 3B. Of course, you never know who might roll up next year!
2011 NC LE "Black Beauty" (ours) | 2006 NC race car "Shazza" (his) | 1998 JDM NB race car "OMG" (hers) | NC Trailer

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:22 pm

It is a bit of a gamble. If a quick car fronts, we are all screwed basically. 1B and 2B have had Type R Integras and the odd Lotus in the past, and then we are hunting for crumbs. I have only recently 'graduated' to 3B, so I am not sure what might have dominated there in the past (a quick look shows - surprise - a Lotus and an Integra), but last year I took 3B with a car that does low 10s at WP. This year David and I fought out 4B, you would think that we are vulnerable to a car that was built to fully exploit the Type 4 (sports sedan) regs as we are just scratching the surface of what is possible.

This link will give you an idea of the completion in the classes this year, but this year is over now and who knows how the fields will shape up in 2015. The other thing is that even the quick cars have to turn up for basically every round, no good being quick sitting on the trailer at home, someone who does every round will knock them off if they don't.

All I can do is suggest you register early, and see what the list looks like when registrations close. Remember in 2014 registrations were closed at 200, well before the first round.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm

zossy1 wrote:Looks like 4B would also work if I caged it?

You will have to cage it (at least a half cage) because you will have to logbook it and that requires an approved ROPS. Unregistered cars will not be allowed to compete unless logbooked.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Charlie Brown
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC
Location: Sydney, Just out of Dragon Territory over the bridge in the "Shire"

Postby Charlie Brown » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:29 pm

2015 entry for the NSW Supersprints have just come out.

They are limiting the contestant number to 200 this year, so get in early to ensure a spot.

As for me, I've entered into SVC. :frown:

Again as Ed says, playing for crumbs as I'll be up against a PRB Clubman, Imprezas, supercharged Exiges, EVO 7 & 8s and turbo MX5s. I'll get close to them at the South circuit but the GP :roll:

Wakefield 1:09.13 Eastern Creek GP 1:50.198 Ext 2:17.538 Sth 1:02.9003
Phillip Is 1:58.50 Winton Short 1:10.7 Lakeside 1:05.7711 MDTC 45.20

Return to “New South Wales/ACT”