NSW Supersprint - What Class Am I?

New South Wales and Canberra Motorsport

Moderators: Andrew, -alex, miata, Midori, Charlie Brown

Roadrunner
coyotes after you
Vehicle: NB SE

NSW Supersprint - What Class Am I?

Postby Roadrunner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm trying to work out what class I would be competing in "IF" I was to enter the NSW supersprints next year.
The thing that has me confused is I have an aftermarket ECU and as far as I can tell, that bumps me with an SE straight into class 4C which is a class allowed to run full race tyres, something I can't see myself stepping up to for quite some time. It also says for turbo cars an intake restrictor or CAMS approved boost monitor is required?

Also looking at the last results for Wakefield, 4C lap times varied from 1:06 to 1:20.00 over 4 entrants. I'm running in the 1:14s with road tyres - a very long way off the pace of the front 2.
While I don't expect to walk in and win trophies, it would be nice to think in the very slightest I have a bit of a chance to mix it up.

I also notice in the natsoft results for that round, there's the classes of "Small Volume C" which I can't seem to find any reference to in the cams Technical Regulations.
In this class I see Ray (SE) and Warren (NB-T) running times around what I would be aiming for and I know Rays SE has the usual SE "bolt ons" inc ECU which is less than my SE has sans ECU, so what are the regulations for this particular class??

To lay it all out, my car and modifications are:
2004 NB SE
Adaptronic ECU
Aftermarket Exhaust
Factory intake and injectors
Coilovers
Larger Intercooler

If running in the appropriate class means running an 'intake restrictor' due to being turbo with an 'EMS modification' and going up against competitors on full slicks, I'm out...
MeepMeep

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: NSW Supersprint - What Class Am I?

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:37 pm

I think "small volume" is actually "special vehicle" and C is the capacity which is the same class you'd be eligible for - this class is SVC for short.

The best class' for you is 6A (WTAC clubsprint rules, 2wd) or SVC (do whatever you want but keep it road registered) which are both classes where only road registered cars are allowed in using Street tyres with SVC probably being the better option.

Saying that they put a rule into SV class now that needs mods to be certified by an engineer if it's not street legal which is sort of laughable but I don't think they'll really enforce that unless you start winning :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

Guran
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Postby Guran » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:46 pm

I wouldn't be too concerned about being competitive in your first season. Many of the MX-5 supersprinters compete in classes well above what they're eligible for just to maximize the points they earn towards the club championship. Just get out there, have a go and learn some new circuits. In any case, study the vehicle regs and figure out what class suits your car. Try SVC as a starting point. It's pretty much open slather for road registered cars.

Technical Regs
Standard 2006 NC - YouTube
WP 1:11.89 | SMP-S 1:05.90 GP 1:54.93 N 1:18.09 L 2:22.49 | PW 1:02.52
PI 2:00.55 | W-S 1:12.44 W-L 1:43.36 | SR 1:33.25

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:58 am

That's the feedback I needed. Thanks.
Looks like SVC is the go. At least it's a class that reflects the cars current state and ability.
MeepMeep

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:31 am

You could run in 2 categories as listed by others.

SVC if you want competition.
Realistically the SV category is come with your road car and what ever parts it has fitted.
There are plenty of road registered forced induction cars that end up in SV as the rules for Type 2 modified road registered cars that have Forced Induction are really restrictive on power mods.
An AWD Turbo is worst off, Standard run in Type 2 and Modified in SV. So yes you can be up against EVO's in SVC. At least you won't have Porsche's like I have as they end up in 2C.
To be honest with your mods, you would probably get away with 2C, I know ECU's are not allowed in a Forced Induction car in Type 2, but how would they know??? But like I said, Porsche's!!!

6A if you are after the points.
Not many cars ever run in the 6A Time attack category.
And you will only ever be up against 2WD cars and I believe exotics are banned from Time attach. No 911 GT3's!!!

Forget Type 3 or 4 as they start looking for extra safety equipment which you may not want to install in your road car.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:10 pm

Good advice, Thanks Luke
MeepMeep

jezman
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby jezman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:56 am

You will have good company in SVC next year as Mike Kelsey is about to modify his SE and move from class 1C.
He will be great competition for you.
Hope you join us , we need the numbers to collect points. The Club is dropping behind this year as we are not getting the big numbers to each round as we did last year.
Look forward to seeing you.
Phil
Wakefield. SMSP GP: SMSP South: SMSP North: SMSP Brabham: Baskerville: MX5 heaven ! Symmons Plains: Winton: Sandown. Phillip Island (wow)

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:09 pm

jezman wrote:Hope you join us

I will second that!

Go here to register your interest as the series has been oversubscribed for the last few years. This will get you an opportunity to register, after current registrants have renewed (probably about February next year). It will be first-come, first-served for the limited slots available so you will need to be quick. Registration is $50, and necessary to compete in the series. You can compete in individual events, if you can get an entry, but obviously without being registered you will not get championship points, only whatever result you get in the event.

we need the numbers to collect points. The Club is dropping behind this year as we are not getting the big numbers to each round as we did last year.

True, but for Rd4 (SMP GP) I have 17 names on the garage list, and probably (hopefully) more who aren't part of the garages pool. Hopefully it is the start of a resurgence.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “New South Wales/ACT”