Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

NSW Supersprint Round 4 SMSP South 10th August

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:56 pm

NSW Supersprint Round 4 SMSP South 10th August
To be hosted by NSW RRC

The reason i am putting this up is:
a) MX-5 Club of NSW has had very poor participation rate in this years Supersprint series. We used to almost get 2 exclusive MX-5 run groups, now we can barely fill 1. We are only 4th in the championship because of this.
b) The entry for this one is cheap. Get in now and it is only $195, + $17 for Dorian hire if you don't have your own.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: NSW Supersprint Round 4 SMSP South 10th August

Postby StillIC » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:56 pm

My excuses last year were:
Health (initially unable to walk/drive).

They are now:
Time, money, separation from mother of my children, hence, time and money.

Sorry. Maybe one day.....
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:04 am

Just had a look at entry numbers for this round whilst entering Round 5 to be hosted by us(Mx-5 club).
Only 44!!! 11 are MX-5's, I believe 10 are MX-5 NSW members.
This represents the best opportunity for the club to catch up points wise for registered Supersprinters.

At this rate it will be a nice quick day. Will run out tyres by lunch if there are only 3 to 4 run groups.

We are past early bird entry period(28/06/2019 cut-off was too early if you ask me), but considering the low entry numbers I'm sure if you ask NSWRRC, they will give to you.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:27 am

So in the end there were 85 cars that ran. 23 of those were from the Women in Motorsport program. Lots of 900 numbers, ie not registered in the championship as well. Been a lot of that this year. There were 6 groups with 13 to 15 cars and it flowed well. Bugger all were MX-5's.
We ended up getting a total of 6 runs which is pretty good going since the sessions were 7 minutes.

I got down to a 1'01.1 which left me 12th overall. Could definitely be faster when I put a diff in the car as inside wheel traction was a issue in every corner with the stock unit on this tight layout.
I did 44 laps out of the total 47 I could have done as I pulled in early in Session 1 and 6 as I was suffering brake fade in my 2 fast runs on new tyres.
Session 2 to 5 were more like car control testing with an old set of tyres. My right rear was a slick by the end with the other 3 not being far off.
I even got my own private session in Run 6 as I was in Group 1 which had only sports cars such as open wheelers, Porsche 911's/Caymans, S2000's and Lotus'. None bar me did the last run and the stubborn rule enforcers would not let me run with other cars in the preceding groups. They said I was too fast for other groups??? Yet they combined group 2,3 and 4 after me which had a Silvia in it that did 1'00.7 and I know there were 3 other cars that were in those groups that ran faster than I did but did not do the last run. I think that they have forgotten the ruling was that they can't mix the open wheel cars with the big cars! MX-5's can run with other cars. It was a good outcome for me at least.
It is really a bit trivial when the time variance in group 1 was 52s to 1'06!

I learnt something new as well as I was 1 of 3 people on a list of people to check.
Apparently if you break 1'05.1 at Wakefield or 1'42.9 at SMSP GP in a road registered car you are required to have CAMS approved rollover protection.
I have no idea if that is a CAMS requirement or NSW Supersprint requirement. I can't find it in the CAMS manual.
I'm fine as I have a log booked car with a Brown Davis Roll bar registered with CAMS. But it got me thinking, there are some super cars that can quite easily break that. Do you really think someone with there carbonfibre and glue 500k toy will be willing to butcher their car just to comply. That will be just another way turn those people off from running those cars which honestly most people would like to see running out there. One of the GT4 Cayman's running on the weekend was a prime example.

I'm sure Rob will post up his photo link soon enough as well.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 pm

That's a cracker time Luke, very well done!

Luke wrote:Apparently if you break 1'05.1 at Wakefield or 1'42.9 at SMSP GP in a road registered car you are required to have CAMS approved rollover protection.
I have no idea if that is a CAMS requirement or NSW Supersprint requirement. I can't find it in the CAMS manual.

NSWRRC. Nuff said. Remember the window nets one? The 'windows up' one? And others before that. They make it up as they go along.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Luke
Racing Driver

Postby Luke » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:09 pm

greenMachine wrote:That's a cracker time Luke, very well done!

Luke wrote:Apparently if you break 1'05.1 at Wakefield or 1'42.9 at SMSP GP in a road registered car you are required to have CAMS approved rollover protection.

NSWRRC. Nuff said. Remember the window nets one? The 'windows up' one? And others before that. They make it up as they go along.

Don't think so. This sounded more like a CAMS or NSW Supersprint thing as I was approached by a Supersprint panel member. Nothing to do with NSWRRC.

Trust me NSWRRC have run their State Supersprint Rounds very well over the last 2 years.
A lot of their key personnel have changed in that period for the better from what I have experienced. It's nothing like the events run 3+ years ago.

If you want to go to a bad one these days, go to a ARDC run event. You pay more just to wait in 40 minute queue's to sign on, then repeat for scrutineering, including a queue for log booked cars, then suffer the worlds longest drivers briefing where they are more worried about threatening drivers with fines than talking about the actual driving, start the event late, have a crap load of bureaucracy when it comes to officials making decisions slowing down everything and then end the day early because they think 4 runs is enough for the day because its the required amount in the regs and it's just past 3PM.
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:28 pm

I stand corrected regarding NSWRRC then, and glad to do so!

I just had a scroll through the Supersprint tech and sporting regs, nothing there that I saw. Like you I am logbooked, but unlike you I doubt I will trigger the 'rule'.

I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “New South Wales/ACT”