Car Trailer Hire

New South Wales and Canberra Motorsport

Moderators: Andrew, -alex, miata, Midori, Charlie Brown

gsu003
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Car Trailer Hire

Postby gsu003 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 am

I would like to tow my MX5 to Phillip Island for the 6 Hour. Does anyone know of a place in Sydney that hires trailers that are suitable? I have looked at a few and they are not well maintained, inadequate tyres, over-ride brakes that are not adjusted correctly etc. Generally, they don’t instil confidence to tow 2000km. I am near Hurstville and would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance, Greg

gsu003
Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Car Trailer Hire

Postby gsu003 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:15 am

Just an update...……….I managed to hire a trailer from U-knowWho (I assume you can guess) at a local service station who had only been appointed as an agent a few months ago. All of their trailers were new then and still in very good condition. The car trailer, like all of the others that I saw, didn't have the cable override brakes adjusted to work so I bought it to their attention about 3 weeks prior to the hire. They were reluctant to have the mechanic adjust the brakes unless I booked the trailer and they guaranteed that the brakes would be adjusted prior to the booking date. They immediately took the money ($499 for seven day hire) from my credit card so I asked "Do I get my money back if the brakes aren't adjusted correctly?"...."yes but you have to pay a $20 cancellation fee"...……"What?, even if the mechanic claims they have been adjusted?"...…"yes". I then said "oh well, at least $20 is better than having an accident with an unroadworthy trailer"...…..she said "yes". At least that's one thing we agreed on.
Anyway, I arrived there last week to pick up the trailer and I am pleased to say that the brakes had been adjusted correctly and for cable override disc brakes they worked quite well, suppose because the rotors and pads were almost new and probably hadn't had much contact with each other. The jockey wheel/stand was stuffed so I sent them an email to inform them but I could work around that. They offered me another trailer from another agent but I wasn't going through all of that again.
We did 2,150km and the trailer towed and performed flawlessly, in fact, really nice to tow.
Would I hire a trailer from them again?...….Yes, as long as it was that trailer and I was able to inspect it beforehand.

yertimer
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: Car Trailer Hire

Postby yertimer » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:07 am

Thanks for the overview. I have sold my tandem trailer (not enough use) and will instead use hire trailers (very occasionally), and it's good to know your hire trailer worked ok. Recommendations like this are very useful.
NA8 94 Clubman

Return to “New South Wales/ACT”