Save Wakefield Park Raceway

New South Wales and Canberra Motorsport

Moderators: Andrew, -alex, miata, Midori, Charlie Brown

hamx5ter
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Save Wakefield Park Raceway

Postby hamx5ter » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:44 pm

I didn't see this posted here (maybe my search-fu has failed me) but there's a petition going around to get 20,000 signatures asking to save Wakefield Park https://savewakefieldparkraceway.com/

If you don't want to put your name down to those people (because stuff like Optus), you can sign the petition directly. Clicky linky below.

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/la/Pages/ePetition-details.aspx?q=JEhjemCnHmr7OpIXen8-4w

I haven't been to WP in years and it's all a bit iffy with track days for me, but I kinda assumed that this racetrack was a keeper and it would still be there once i was ready to get back to the track. It's a shame that it's come to this. I know it's a long time since our glory days here at cartalk, but if the 5 of you (and your mates) could perhaps put your names down, we might just be able to get to the 20,000 signatures so this can be tabled and debated in Parliament.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Save Wakefield Park Raceway

Postby greenMachine » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:10 pm

I think that signing that is rewarding/supporting bad behaviour by BAC/WP management.

I would like WP reopened, but I don't thing BAC are the right managers, they seem to think they rule the roost and the rules don't apply. For the moment I am content to sit back and watch developments.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

PaulF
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby PaulF » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:37 pm

A poorly managed racetrack is better than no racetrack. The petition is calling for government support, which that venue needs if it's ever going to operate again, regardless of who operates it.

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:46 pm

PaulF wrote:A poorly managed racetrack is better than no racetrack.

I'm going to leave that one alone ...

The petition is calling for government support, which that venue needs if it's ever going to operate again, regardless of who operates it.

What support? Changing legislation/regulations on noise presumably. But the noise regs are there for a reason, and the residents who took BAC to the LEC are that reason.

You know there is a court judgement here? You can't just pretend it isn't there and go off and do your own thing. That is exactly what got BAC into this hole - ignoring DA conditions. They have managed to hiss off the locals including at least some of the councillors, when the smart move would have been to recognise the thin ice and work with the residents, even if it meant some events could not be held (drifting is a particular problem with its tyre noise), and enforcing effective mufflers on competition engines. Instead they tried the 'crash through or crash' technique, and we know the result.

I have just returned from the Alfa 12hr regularity relay, the team I crewed for stayed about 12-15km outside Winton, and on Monday morning as I was loading the car I could hear the noise, and we were behind a range of hills. The circuit is effectively surrounded by houses, and there is a primary school a stones throw from the circuit gate. Winton. It is therefore unsurprising that as they apparently operate freely there, they did the same at WP.

The only people who can fix this are the circuit owners/operators. Right now they show no signs of recognising this fact, and until they do, and act accordingly WP's gates will remain shut.

Build thread

hamx5ter
Racing Driver

Postby hamx5ter » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:24 pm

Yep I didn't know BAC were operating outside of the '93 DA until i read about WP closing. Until then i thought the LEC went a bit overboard with the 4 days / month ruling. I think they only took it to the court because their new DA was not approved, and then the LEC basically shut the place down.

I get it that BAC may not be doing the right thing here (operating outside the '93 DA) but the idea of the petition is just to put the issue on the table. I'm sure the track can be re-opened and operated under better conditions than 4 days / month until the broader issue is resolved. Otherwise, it will just wind up going to the developers to build more houses (which may or may not be a bad thing) :D

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:02 pm

The issue is already on the table. The council and local businesses are unhappy, they want a fix. But this petition is just another BAC strong arm tactic, like they used before, and where did that get them?

No way will the circuit open before
hamx5ter wrote: the broader issue is resolved.

Either some special precinct will be created where they can make as much noise as they like (really?! what about the residents, is the state government and the local member going to tell them to put up and shut up?), or they negotiate a new DA with council and the residents (noise limits, restricted events, noise insulation for residents etc etc $$$$!) which the LEC accepts with few modifications (because the residents having one win there will surely take it back there). Remember BAC is not local, they are blow-ins, and remember the circuit is/was operating very differently than it was back in 1993.

Otherwise, it will just wind up going to the developers to build more houses (which may or may not be a bad thing) :D

No way. It is 10 or so kms from town, if anyone wants to build housing there are much better sites much closer to town than WP. The developer would have to provide water and sewage, at a much higher cost than a site on the fringes of town. One day maybe, but neither I nor my children will see it.

It is a sad situation, we all miss it but reversing this closure is not going to be easy. BAC, if they are serious about reopening it, are going to have to bend their backs to the task, and probably eat some humble pie to boot. Both will be new experiences for them.

ETA:
I am not trying to talk anyone out of signing the petition, I am just elaborating on why I will not.

Build thread

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:19 am

I have read that in the UK some tracks require cars to meet 85db for track days. Dropping from 95db to 85db reduces sound by half.
Surely most drivers would agree to that, with a few race meetings each month still be 95db??

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:58 pm

Epa says a road car is allowed 90db and a motorcycle 94db.
Can't see any serious track car meeting 85db.

RS2000
Racing Driver

Postby RS2000 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:54 pm

Would the average road car reach 85db at 30m, which is the distance from edge of track for measurement??
You don't need a serious track car for track days, & you can get power without loud exhausts.

StillIC
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby StillIC » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:56 pm

I signed the petition the other day when my mechanic told me about it.

But I do appreciate the points you put forward GM.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:07 pm

Not dead yet ...

Build thread

Roadrunner
coyotes after you

Postby Roadrunner » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:28 am

RS2000 wrote:Would the average road car reach 85db at 30m, which is the distance from edge of track for measurement??
You don't need a serious track car for track days, & you can get power without loud exhausts.

Totally agree. I recently went from a loudish 2.5inch exhaust to a larger 3inch exhaust made more power yet is much much quieter.
It's definitely doable, just requires a change in mindset that "loud = power". If it's the difference between quieter mufflers with trackdays all year round VS loud mufflers and no racetracks.... I'll take the trackdays thanks.
And from a competitive standpoint, if everyone is held to the same standard and there is "loss of power etc from quietening down" then everyone is in the same boat so it's still even...
Reminds me of a few years ago I was doing start line timing at a NSW supersprint. 2 honda civics were basically dead even timewise but one was so intensely loud as it went passed I had to request a set of earmuffs as it actually hurt. If that thing was running around every weekend I'll get jack of it eventually too :lol:
MeepMeep

Luke
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Luke » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:47 pm

Off topic but on topic.

Was just reading the requirements for the Whiteline Rally Sprint events at SMSP which are held during the evening on weekdays from October through to March once a month.
The noise restriction is as long as your car is lower in noise level than a Top Fuel Dragster you are good to go. Thats like 150dB

Seems ridiculous considering the location. Amazing what you can get away with when it is on Government land and uses part of a Dragway, although most of the course is through the car parks!

BTW does the requirement of noise level get measured in dB or dBA for racetracks. To me dBA would be the correct way of measuring it as that is a weighted measurement based on actual human hearing. Our hearing is not equal to all frequencies like the way dB is measured. We are not robots
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:41 pm

Picked this up on the bookface:

NSW Labor Leader Chris Minns has announced a $1 million lifeline to save Wakefield Park.
“ An elected Labor government will work with the local council and stakeholders to resolve these issues and get this important facility back on track”, Mr Minns said during the announcement.
To achieve the re-opening Wakefield Park Raceway, NSW Labor will:
Provide up to $1 million to support noise mitigation works at the track to ensure key police driver training and safety programs can resume.
Order the Department of Planning, Goulburn Mulwaree Council and Office of Sport collaborate on a plan to re-open Wakefield Park Raceway.
Prepare a motorsports strategy to help ensure that Wakefield Park can remain open for recreational and competitive motorsport operations.

Good stuff (if it happens, has be an election first), but it still needs a new DA to be granted. The 'noise mitigation works' will be the key ingredient, and it may be that they have to happen off-circuit as well as on-circuit.

It is good to see some movement even if it is only rhetoric ATM.

Build thread

greenMachine
Forum Guru

Postby greenMachine » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:23 am

Seems official ABC News item

I don't know about 'internationally embarrassing', what I find embarrassing are overblown claims, but I guess that is par for the course in the contest for the public's heart and mind, not to mention their votes ...

I am not sure that I find what could be described as bullying of residents and councillors to be particularly edifying, but overall the commitment goes to the heart of the problem.

I think this raises the stakes for BAC, they now have to get with the program. Hopefully, having been thrown a lifeline, they can use that to rebuild their relationship with council and residents - not regard it as a 'get out of jail free' card. The proof of that pudding will be what they bring to the table in developing a new DA application.

Be interesting to see what the LNP response is, if any - they may choose to let that one alone and fight other battles.

Build thread

Return to “New South Wales/ACT”