Re: Anyone up for a Barbagallo day?

Postby deviant » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:19 am

Need more power and a LSD. Jebus a stock MX5 is a slow thing on track :lol:

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Sat May 05, 2012 1:09 am

I'm a WASCC member again, need plenty of warning but keen to do some of these.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

deviant
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby deviant » Sat May 05, 2012 1:21 am

Good to hear...I am planning on going on the 19th of this month.

marcusus
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby marcusus » Sat May 05, 2012 5:30 am

The car's due to get put in to KYP in the next two weeks (actually, it's once the rain holds off for long enough so I don't need to ride my bike in the rain to work :P ), so once that's done, I'm more than happy to go on a semi regular basis. Gotta make the most of the membership!

marcusus
Speed Racer

Postby marcusus » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:55 am

OK, there's a Saturday tuning day on the 24th of November. Basically, I'm going, because I'm not letting another free tuning day pass expire this time round :P

Anyone else keen? Also, what's the format of these tuning days? Do you need to be there at a specific time for scrutineering or anything? Is there a driver briefing? Any other useful info?

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:00 am

Okies, i'll see if I can make it too.

Gonna be hard to keep up with you.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

deviant
Racing Driver

Postby deviant » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm

marcusus wrote:OK, there's a Saturday tuning day on the 24th of November. Basically, I'm going, because I'm not letting another free tuning day pass expire this time round :P

Anyone else keen? Also, what's the format of these tuning days? Do you need to be there at a specific time for scrutineering or anything? Is there a driver briefing? Any other useful info?

I will try to be there, doing the Rallysprint on 1st Nov and 13th Dec so will see how the wallet feels.

No scrutineering at all on the day and no set time to be there. The track is live from 9am-4pm. Usually it gets quiet 2-4.

When you arrive at the main gates (you will find them as the road ends there) drive in to the circuit and past the buildings on the left and along the fence and after some parking spaces you will see a big gate with a booth. It is not manned, just drive in but watch for cars crossing. Head towards the big building directly in front of you and park under one of the covered areas, there is a long bench to put your stuff on but no power under the covered areas.

Sign on is done in the big building. They take eftpos / credit card if you need to pay anything. Take your membership card and L2S.

If it is your first time there you are supposed to watch the 10 minute movie about track etiquette. There are normally instructors floating around. Take note of the arrows painted on the ground in the paddock, there is a one way system.

As you face the big building where you signed on access to the circuit is at the right hand side of the paddock, drive down the slope and turn left at the bottom to get in to pit lane, give way to cars coming off the track.

They have sessions for open wheelers and if the numbers call for it they have sessions for log booked cars only. They put announcements over the PA system so keep an ear out. If there is a race day on that weekend I believe they have the afternoon only for people competing that weekend.

The circuit food outlet is complete shite so take your own lunch. At the clubhouse there is a chilled drinking water fountain in the patio area. There are planty of toilets around.

Barbagallo is hard on brakes with 3 big stops in to turn 1, Kolbe and turn 7. It is not so bad on tyres for light cars like ours.

Make sure your mirrors are well adjusted to give you a good field of vision. There can be some mighty quick race cars out on track at the same time as road cars and novices. There are some very good drivers in WA and they will generally wait for you to point them past but I have had a few go around the outside of me as I had already committed to the corner when they caught me. Biggest speed differences will be in to turn 7 (last corner). There are some real Perth drivers there to...indecisive, slow, on the wrong side of the track, not watching mirrors etc so you might find yourself having to hold behind someone to get a feel for their level of observation etc.

Finally...relax and have fun. I normally get there 9.30-10.00 and leave early and still get 30-40 laps in without rushing around.

marcusus
Speed Racer

Postby marcusus » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:41 am

Thanks for the in depth response! I'll watch the videos as it gets closer to the day to get a feel of how the track is.

I had a quick read of the WASCC website too which had some good info. It did say that sign on was from 8:30, but I'm guessing that's just when people can start signing on, rather than a strict "be here at 8:30 to sign on". Also, do you get a garage or anything to park up in when you want a break? It'd be nice to be able to have somewhere to put all my in car crap (mainly spare tyre) there, as you never know when you might need it.

deviant
Racing Driver

Postby deviant » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:24 pm

Yeah you can rock up whenever and sign on. Some people do not even arrive until the arvo.

Not garages as such and you certainly can not reserve a space in advance. There are long covered areas you can park under...like flat roof patio. There is a bench running the length of it that you can dump stuff on or just dump it on the floor. There is normally enough space at tuning days and generally if you have a pile of stuff and a jerry can people do not park in 'your' spot but if it is really busy you will just have to have a bit of patience and make space for each other.

The concrete floor of the covered areas slopes slightly so you will need to leave your car in gear when you switch off or take something to chuck behind a wheel to stop it rolling. You dont want to be using your handbrake with hot brakes.

I tend to head to the covered areas to the right of the big race control building, the garages are open backed and the ones to the right are more shaded and protected from any wind blowing in the back.

marcusus
Speed Racer

Postby marcusus » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:38 am

Yeah, certainly not gonna be putting the handbrake on. Haven't had to learn that lesson the hard way, and I hope to keep it that way.

Thanks again for all the useful info. I'll have to go over it all again as it gets closer to the day.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Spewin,

Booked Monday off work to go to the tuning day, figured being a Monday it would be very quiet and i'd be able to get in lots of laps.

Shooting the drift all weekend I didn't have time for my TAFE homework so had to spend Monday doing homework instead of being at the track. :frown:

marcusus
Speed Racer

Postby marcusus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Bugger. Looks like you'll just have to make up for it by coming along on the 24th :P

deviant
Racing Driver

Postby deviant » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 pm

So is anyone going to this?

Thinking I might head up and just tool around on my road tyres, not sure I can afford another set of semi's and want to save them for the rallysprint series....but having said that I will be sad without the grip!

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:17 am

I'll try, might be to busy trying to regain brownie points and sell a few cars. :oops:

johnnyreble
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Supercharged

Postby johnnyreble » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:17 pm

I'd like to come and have a play too .. gotta get the day off work though .. fingers crossed

:)
Johnny
Supercharged NA6

Return to “Western Australia”