mx5 club at kwinnana

Western Australian Motorsport

Moderators: timk, zombie, Andrew, miata

rodsmx5
Driver
Vehicle: NA - V8

mx5 club at kwinnana

Postby rodsmx5 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 pm

looking foward to the next mx5 club motorsport event at kwinnana soon and was sick looking at marcusus as the last post way back in nov , so thought i would start something new :lol:
90 mx5 jrsc trackdog intercooler crank pully.. 90 mx5 ls2 6liter 6 speed tremec cts lsd rear..ss dash

M1474
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - Turbo

Re: mx5 club at kwinnana

Postby M1474 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm a little bit afraid of binning it into a concrete barrier.

Have you raced there before? Have I anything to beware of?

Seanan.
GHETTOCET

rodsmx5
Driver

Postby rodsmx5 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm

yep ,it is abit scary ,, but go at your own pace and learn the braking points first ,,, but this is coming from someone who binned it into the wall at the last mcrae rallysprint :lol: ... it was due to a big 50 amp fuse blowing causing me to have no powersteering!!!! car was fine..
done a fair few rallysprint now at the motorplex ,and i love it due to it is perfect for all mx5,s :D
90 mx5 jrsc trackdog intercooler crank pully.. 90 mx5 ls2 6liter 6 speed tremec cts lsd rear..ss dash

deviant
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby deviant » Tue May 07, 2013 1:51 am

I am not entered for this event but have done two seasons of McRae Rallysprints there.

Make a mental note of where the curbs are particularly on the inside of the corners, it is very different to circuit driving as you cannot approach all corners with what you would think is the best line and your certainly can't cut any corners. This is driving fast on public roads 101! Not all of the corners are very visible on approach.

Build up to really pushing the braking points. We are always warned at the Rallysprint series that it is all just for fun and it is not worth binning it....but every round someone does!

Looking at the map that was emailed out there is a chicane that will break up the really fast bit before going through a 90 right...and then another 90 right. That second 90 right is VERY tight and has a bump in it, you go through a gate barely wider than a parking spot and there is a fence dead ahead of you. You see it in the video below...I go around a right hand hairpin and up a steep hill before making a left-right at the top.

What is the club using to prevent cars coming in to conflict? Or are they running single cars only?

See the roudabout that you turn left at before heading up to the big right hand loop? at the rallysprints there is normally a row of concrete barriers placed across the roundabout so you cant get to cars on the other side.

Again thinking about multiple cars I hope like hell they dont end up with two people in the car park!

Okay in that car park...the entry gate is narrow. On the first loop around you go across the front of the stop garage and then turn 90 right. You will be driving straight at a fence there (seen in the vid below as a red sign with three !!! on it) and the 90 right is in to a very narrow bit of tarmac.

Compare the map to google earth.

Keep in mind that the surface is NOT race track surface and varies in quality and cleanliness around the place.

This video is not the same course and is in reverse but you will see how narrow some of the gates are and how many fences you are dealing with in the car park.

As a side note...watching that video again I can't believe how slow and roly my car was in stock trim!

EVLGURL
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby EVLGURL » Tue May 07, 2013 11:34 am

This will be my first event in my MX5.
I have done the rally sprint a couple of times in my old EVO IX & also done it as passenger so I know the circuit but not the car.
Should be interesting to compare the 2 cars though.
Shannon
Mitsubishi EVO 7
Honda EK Civic
Eunos NA8 MX5

M1474
Racing Driver

Postby M1474 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:40 am

rodsmx5 wrote:yep ,it is abit scary ,, but go at your own pace and learn the braking points first ,,, but this is coming from someone who binned it into the wall at the last mcrae rallysprint :lol: ... it was due to a big 50 amp fuse blowing causing me to have no powersteering!!!!

Oh no! I don't have power steering, are you saying I'm doomed?
GHETTOCET

deviant
Racing Driver

Postby deviant » Tue May 07, 2013 12:15 pm

No...A 50amp fuse failed on his car killing the electrics totally and turning the engine off. With the engine off the power steering stops assisting and gets very very heavy very quickly.

He came off on the big loop that goes past the ticket booths. It get tighter as you go around and with a sudden and unexpected loss of power steering you would not be able to turn the wheel hard enough and fast enough to keep the car turning in.

M1474
Racing Driver

Postby M1474 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Sorry, I was being facetious. I won't do it anymore.

I guess the safest approach is to build up speed over the day.

Is this scored as a best lap time only or averaged with a dropped worst lap?

XMX555
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby XMX555 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:27 pm

M1474 wrote:Sorry, I was being facetious. I won't do it anymore.

I guess the safest approach is to build up speed over the day.

Is this scored as a best lap time only or averaged with a dropped worst lap?

It is a best lap of the day, so you have plenty of time to start cautious and build up speed / delay your braking as you gain confidence
"Without the Roof the Sky's the Limt"

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Tue May 07, 2013 6:03 pm

deviant wrote:

That car sounds fantastic!

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

deviant
Racing Driver

Postby deviant » Wed May 08, 2013 1:07 am

Yeah some bloke posted me an exhaust for it. Seemed to fit okay and makes a decent noise :lol:

Sounds better in this video

rodsmx5
Driver

Postby rodsmx5 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:33 pm

what a great day of racing,,had a ball and got faster and faster every run .. the circuit was fast flowing with just a few tight bits to test the brakes..it was run to a incredible standard which is the norm for the mx5 club..and it really does have a club feel when everybody is doing there bit to help out.. extra thanks to warwick gates for running the event like a major in the army ( firm but fair ) ,, its great cause it keeps us in line :lol: .... so thanks again to everyone that made this event possible,, it was a cracker!!!!

M1474
Racing Driver

Postby M1474 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:43 pm

^ +1.

Thanks to Warick and also Art. The day ran like clockwork, Value Motorsport at its best.

Damn Rod that thing is fast!
GHETTOCET

Waz man
Fast Driver

Postby Waz man » Sun May 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks for the kind words boys.
Yes I do like to run a tight ship but even better I like to run a fun & value for money motorsport event.posting.php?mode=reply&f=70&t=57952&sid=43150f701d178063c267d7372b3ac446#
Could not do it without the support of the committee and like minded club members.
McRae Rally Sprint has 10.5 minutes of driving for $175
MX5 Club of WA Motorplex Sprint (same venue) just delivered 16 minutes of track time for $50
WOW, what a club.posting.php?mode=reply&f=70&t=57952&sid=43150f701d178063c267d7372b3ac446#
Barb's Short 57.83 Long 70.45
Motorsport Manager of the MX5 Club of WA (11 years service)

Waz man
Fast Driver

Postby Waz man » Sun May 19, 2013 7:33 pm

[quote="Waz man"]Thanks for the kind words boys.
Yes I do like to run a tight ship but even better I like to run a fun & value for money motorsport event.
Could not do it without the support of the committee and like minded club members.
McRae Rally Sprint has 10.5 minutes of driving for $175
MX5 Club of WA Motorplex Sprint (same venue) just delivered 16 minutes of track time for $50
WOW, what a club.
Barb's Short 57.83 Long 70.45
Motorsport Manager of the MX5 Club of WA (11 years service)

Return to “Western Australia”