Here is the fastest run of our morning.

And the quickest run of the afternoon, cone eats sh*t at 1:46:

And a drive by from the afternoon:

sticky nicky
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Re: McRae Rallysprint mid-year rally

Postby sticky nicky » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:15 pm

Nice run Deviant, glad to see you got your brakes sorted. I like the way they did the run under the bridge, better than having the dogleg under there as they normally do. Im planning on trying a summer run down there, November or December, depending on tyre condition :D

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:25 pm

At 1:54 on vid 2, Fuark yeah.

Thanks for sharing that was great to watch, you are much more sensible than I would be out there :mrgreen:

You didnt kick the clutch once.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

deviant
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby deviant » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:10 pm

sticky nicky wrote:Nice run Deviant, glad to see you got your brakes sorted. I like the way they did the run under the bridge, better than having the dogleg under there as they normally do. Im planning on trying a summer run down there, November or December, depending on tyre condition :D

Yep brakes are sorted now. Did a rebuild with new seals and rubbers which seems to have sorted it. One of the pistons was sticking which would have cooked the brakes nicely.

The run under the bridge at this event was much better than the usual dog leg...fast, narrow and bumpy. On the reverse run on vid two I think I pulled 4th gear through there and pulled 5th gear through the burnout pit, quick enough for the car to go light through there. Far more technical than it looks on the video thats for sure!

Unfortunately it looks like open cars are not going to be allowed to run anymore :(

The rallysprint standing regs specifically state that open cars must have a FULL roll cage built to Schedule J specs. This has been allowed to slide so far but is going to be cracked down on by CAMS and the guys running the McRae series. The regs do not make any mention of an open car with an added on roof or soft top so at the moment the organisers will let a car run with a roof added on however they will be clarifying this with CAMS before the new season starts. Rod Willis has been told he won't be allowed back without a roof.

NitroDann wrote:At 1:54 on vid 2, Fuark yeah.

Thanks for sharing that was great to watch, you are much more sensible than I would be out there :mrgreen:

You didnt kick the clutch once.

Dann

We call that bit of the layout 'the goat track'. Properly narrow and the gate at the top with tyres on it has claimed a few cars over the years.

Honestly I could pull another second or so out of these times but I would prefer to get the car home in one piece, it is not unusual for at least one car to be damaged at these events and if you are unlucky enough to wipe out some infrastructure the owners of the facility charge you for it!

M1474
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - Turbo

Postby M1474 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Nice laps.

Fingers crossed a hardtop counts as a roof, I'm keen for next year.
GHETTOCET

deviant
Racing Driver

Postby deviant » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:05 pm

The problem they have is that in some areas of the CAMS manual it specifically states that an open car is an open car even with a roof on it. The rally section of the manual does not make any such mention so we are working on the assumption that if you add a roof it becomes a closed car.

Roll cage regs are different for open rally cars so it really needs to be clarified by CAMS.

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:01 pm

CAMs understandably are concerned about convertibles after navigator Paul Flintoff died when an Elfin MS8 Clubman crashed on the Buller Hill Climb.

This problem is only going to get worse, I know some tracks overseas only allow convertibles if they have a rollbar.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

sticky nicky
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby sticky nicky » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:39 pm

deviant wrote:Unfortunately it looks like open cars are not going to be allowed to run anymore :(

The rallysprint standing regs specifically state that open cars must have a FULL roll cage built to Schedule J specs. This has been allowed to slide so far but is going to be cracked down on by CAMS and the guys running the McRae series. The regs do not make any mention of an open car with an added on roof or soft top so at the moment the organisers will let a car run with a roof added on however they will be clarifying this with CAMS before the new season starts. Rod Willis has been told he won't be allowed back without a roof.

Gee that would be a bummer! I always run my MX5 with the hardtop on for track events and I have a B & D Rollbar, I would have thought that would have given as much protection as a sedan with no roll bar/roll cage. I guess Rod will be doing all he can to adjust his car so that he can still run down there.
It will be interesting to see if the rules change down at the MC Motorsport track at the airport, as I have done every round this year.
Let us know if you hear on a decision Deviant :?

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 pm

MX5 Club events are a load cheaper, Rod might just choose to do these.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

NitroDann
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NA6

Postby NitroDann » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Do they do rally's? Cos that's an awesome looking event.

Dann
http://www.NitroDann.com

speed wrote:If I was to do it again, I wouldn't even consider the supercharger.

deviant
Racing Driver

Postby deviant » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:19 pm

sticky nicky wrote:Gee that would be a bummer! I always run my MX5 with the hardtop on for track events and I have a B & D Rollbar, I would have thought that would have given as much protection as a sedan with no roll bar/roll cage. I guess Rod will be doing all he can to adjust his car so that he can still run down there.
It will be interesting to see if the rules change down at the MC Motorsport track at the airport, as I have done every round this year.
Let us know if you hear on a decision Deviant :?

As it stands you can run like that. There exists a hole in the Rally regs in that it does not specifically state that open car + hardtop still = open car as it does in the Race regs.

I am amazed MC Motorsport is still running to be honest. Prime land and it is hard to rent the place now.

I will certainly be watching closely what happens to the regs.

NitroDann wrote:Do they do rally's? Cos that's an awesome looking event.

Dann

Kinda sorta trying. They have been running something similar, sans co-driver on a shorter section of the facility.

Personally I reckon the rallysprints represent great value. They are a real deal CAMS tarmac rally that a ton of supercars show up to and the organisation of them is top notch.

Waz man
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby Waz man » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Open top vehicles must have suitable roll over protection fitted.

A 1kg or larger fire extinguisher must be fitted (with metal fixing bracket)

These are in the standing regs for the MC Sprints.
I have managed to exclude these requirements from our events therefore allowing 98% of our members to compete in these type of events.
It is one of the reasons we run our own events, the other is we can run them for half the cost and more time on the track.

They are a real deal CAMS tarmac rally that a ton of supercars show up to and the organisation of them is top notch.

So what are you saying, we are not the real deal?
Barb's Short 57.83 Long 70.45
Motorsport Manager of the MX5 Club of WA (11 years service)

deviant
Racing Driver

Postby deviant » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:00 pm

Waz man wrote:
Open top vehicles must have suitable roll over protection fitted.

A 1kg or larger fire extinguisher must be fitted (with metal fixing bracket)

These are in the standing regs for the MC Sprints.
I have managed to exclude these requirements from our events therefore allowing 98% of our members to compete in these type of events.
It is one of the reasons we run our own events, the other is we can run them for half the cost and more time on the track.

They are a real deal CAMS tarmac rally that a ton of supercars show up to and the organisation of them is top notch.

So what are you saying, we are not the real deal?

Of course I'm not saying that! I am just trying to put across that I find the series to be good value and exciting to be involved in.

Return to “Western Australia”