Tips and Pointers Wanted

Western Australian Motorsport

Moderators: timk, zombie, Andrew, miata

JordanMackay
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Tips and Pointers Wanted

Postby JordanMackay » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:23 am

hey guys, so i had my first event on the weekend and i think my times didn't do me justice. i kept managing to catch up to the guy in front so that also dragged my times down a little bit but i also think i could be doing things a lot better. i would love for tips etc from you guys so i made a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epom1V9 ... e=youtu.be

david_syd_au
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Tips and Pointers Wanted

Postby david_syd_au » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:42 am

I can't be specific as I don't know the track nor the car.
A few things I noticed:
1. Get rid of the dangly thing on the mirror. You don't need distractions in your eyeline when on track
2. There were a couple of spots where you let go of the steering wheel for it to spin back to centre. As a general rule you don't let go of the steering wheel, however, if the track is so tight that it is necessary, well so be it
3. You were see-sawing the wheel around what seemed like a long right hand sweeper, but the car didn't seem to be sliding. Why?
Again, it is hard say more without being familiar with track and car.
Don't worry too much about laptimes, yes, they are great for boast value, but until you gain experience and consistency they just tell you how many stuff ups you made in a lap, not how well you drove the rest.
Most of all, have fun!
2011 NC LE "Black Beauty" (ours) | 2006 NC race car "Shazza" (his) | 1998 JDM NB race car "OMG" (hers) | NC Trailer

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:38 am

As above. Consider driver coaching before you develop bad habits as well as more seat time.

What were your hot/cold tyre pressures/temps, alignment settings, suspension settings. Get a notebook (paper type) and keep note, write down changes made and then how the car felt. That way extract day you set the car up from your notebook and start the process again.

Dan
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:48 pm

I agree with the above advice about seat time, driving instruction and talking to people faster than you.

The other thing I think is important is off track preparation in learning the theory. Search for 'skip barber going faster' on YouTube and watch that, it's a bit old but the fundamentals still hold up well. There are also plenty of books out there by people like Carroll Smith that can help with learning more about driving techniques and car set up.
2009 NC2 - Ohlins (7kg/5kg), Whiteline Sways, Weds TC105N (17x8), OEM Hardtop & 2009 987.2 Boxster

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Take my advice with a grain of salt, I still have lots to learn but this is my impression from the video.

At the start you should be able to do the slalom with your hand at 10 and 2, not shuffling on the wheel

29s you changed gear mid corner, that's only going to unbalance the car and slow down you ability to get the power down.

45s You didn't seem to be getting power on early going onto the back straight, perhaps slower in and faster out but use more of the corner, its hard to tell from the camera angle but it doesnt look like you used all the track

1m 14s same here use all the track

Take a look at one of Rod's or Simon G's videos, they're probably have the right lines.

These are the ones I took ... still learning too.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Return to “Western Australia”