Post you motorsport videos here! WA Motorsport

Western Australian Motorsport

Moderators: timk, zombie, Andrew, miata

madjak
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Post you motorsport videos here! WA Motorsport

Postby madjak » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:54 pm

CAMS Speed Event Series - Round 13 - Barbagallo Long Track.

My first run was a 66.94, which was nearly 2 seconds fast than my previous best time but I was so focused I forgot to turn on the GoPro! My next run on the track I remembered the GoPro but I only managed a 67.40. Since my run earlier in the year, I've added my rear wing and lightened the car a little.

NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks
Barbs L: 64.12 | S: 58.62 | Collie: 49.72

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Stunning lap times ! Congrats
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

pepejesus
Fast Driver

Postby pepejesus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:39 pm

Video from the 'Track Battle' event on 22 March 2017. New PB by 0.2 secs, 70.488

Still searching for that 69 sec lap... new tyres would do it for sure. These ones are second hand NT01s from Lightyear (cheers Dave!) and are just about down to the canvas now.

2004 SE - stock ECU, stock engine, BEGi intake, FMIC, BC Racing 10/6, 15x8s, 225/45 NT-01s
Barbagallo long: 70.488
Barbagallo short: 58.999

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 pm

Great driving Sam :mrgreen:
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:26 pm

Looks great. You have all the right lines and braking points. I take a straighter braking line down into the basin almost running out of track then turning last minute for a full throttle run out onto the straight. It might be different in a turbo car though. I need as longer run into the straights as possible.

Here is a video of my new fastest lap at Collie. 50.30

NA8: N/A 200whp | Haltech | Skunk2 Intake | S90 TB | RCP | 5 speed c/r dogbox | 4.78 diff | AST Shocks

pepejesus
Fast Driver

Postby pepejesus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:30 pm

madjak wrote:Here is a video of my new fastest lap at Collie. 50.30

Nice one, was talking to a guy the other night at Barbagallo that races an S15 in a wheel-to-wheel series, he was talking about this massive bump at Collie that's a bit of a car-killer - I can see what he means from your vid! Looks like you really need to attack the kerbs to be quick there as well.

The bowl at Barbagallo is a tricky one, I've tried a few different lines. Early turn-in just results in understeer and losing speed on exit. Late turn-in kills too much speed on entry that I don't get back on exit. So I've settled on something in between, just to try and carry as much speed as I can.

Generally I find that the line that allows me to carry the most mid-corner speed is the quickest line. The car is too underpowered/heavy to really benefit from a late-apex exit speed style. I just don't get the speed back that I sacrifice on entry.

Got the car on the scales just before hitting the track and was 1212kg, that's with a just about full tank of fuel and me (95kg) in the drivers seat. Probably making about ~150-160hp at the wheels.
2004 SE - stock ECU, stock engine, BEGi intake, FMIC, BC Racing 10/6, 15x8s, 225/45 NT-01s

madjak
Racing Driver

Postby madjak » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Mobile post fail.... this is my 3rd attempt!

pepejesus wrote:
madjak wrote:Here is a video of my new fastest lap at Collie. 50.30

Nice one, was talking to a guy the other night at Barbagallo that races an S15 in a wheel-to-wheel series, he was talking about this massive bump at Collie that's a bit of a car-killer - I can see what he means from your vid! Looks like you really need to attack the kerbs to be quick there as well.

Yes the bump at Collie is well known for throwing cars off the track. It's very challenging to hold the car through the bump when you are at the limit of traction. The MX5 handles it better than most especially mine with the rear wing. It's far more scary in my dads 1963 mini at 2/3rds the speed.

I love it actually as it really shows up any issues with suspension setup.

The hillclimb sprint down at Collie is also challenging due to the wide but bumpy road. Pushing too hard on that course will result in car damage nearly every time.

pepejesus
Fast Driver

Postby pepejesus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Long time no post, but I was going through some old videos tonight and found these from the stock NA days.

This is out at the RAC Airport track. Completely stock 1989 NA with 15x7s and Toyo T1Rs :lol:

Autotest:

How about that old single-spinning open diff? :lol:

Sprint track:

I think this shows just how well the stock, soft sprung NA handles. Mild mid-corner understeer but for a stock production car that's about as good as it gets imo.

Dash protector has to be worth 15hp atw.

This next one is after I installed some AFCO coilovers. Car then had mild mid-corner oversteer which would probably have been fixed by a bigger front sway. This was my first time with this setup so I don't quite have the same confidence. I reckon it was over-sprung for those tyres as well. Never did get to find out whether the sway would've helped as I sold it shortly after this.

In other news, I've been doing a bit of karting and will be having my first race in TaG 125 restricted soon. Practice times have been ok so I should at least be in the pack, but we will see. I'll report back and post some vids once I've had a race.

Return to “Western Australia”