Fire extinguisher A$14.95

Queensland Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ, JBT

ljs18
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Fire extinguisher A$14.95

Postby ljs18 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Aldi has 1kg fire extinguisher for A$14.95 on Wednesday.

AndyT
Driver
Vehicle: NC

Re: Fire extinguisher A$14.95

Postby AndyT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:02 pm

Great tip. Also bought one from Bunnings a couple of weeks back for $15 even. December 2016 dated

adidistyle
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby adidistyle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 pm

Most el-cheapos are designed for hanging up in the laundry or shed, where dynamic loads don't exist.

If you don't already have one, ensure what you buy has a STURDY METAL BRACKET & RETAINER, and mount it securely using bolt/nuts/decent size washers.

You do not want to get out to Morgan Park, get knocked back by the scrutineers, and have to buy and fit whatever you can find in Warwick on a Saturday Morning.
Or worse still, get smashed by it when it's flying around the cabin in an incident.

Just my 2 cents.
Adam Shipway
NA6 for track. NA8B SE (in slow progress)

StillIC
Racing Driver

Postby StillIC » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:38 am

I have an Aldi extinguisher that I bought late in 2015. It has a bracket which is just as robust as any other brand...similar to some, better than others. Plus, you can use whatever bracket you want as they don't go out of date.
WP:1.12.492 SMPN:1.16.403 SMPS:1.05.473 SMPGP:1.53.256 SMPB:2.22.181

ljs18
Fast Driver

Postby ljs18 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:40 am

adidistyle wrote:Most el-cheapos are designed for hanging up in the laundry or shed, where dynamic loads don't exist.

If you don't already have one, ensure what you buy has a STURDY METAL BRACKET & RETAINER, and mount it securely using bolt/nuts/decent size washers.

You do not want to get out to Morgan Park, get knocked back by the scrutineers, and have to buy and fit whatever you can find in Warwick on a Saturday Morning.
Or worse still, get smashed by it when it's flying around the cabin in an incident.

Just my 2 cents.

They have a metal bracket and double metal straps. CAMS scrutineers have been happy with them. Tested one too. Dated 10/16 so good until October 19.

MattR
Racing Driver

Postby MattR » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Also worth taking the extinguisher out of the bracket every couple of events and turn it over end on end until you can feel the powder moving around.

This ensures that if you have to use it you will actually get the full charge of powder out of the extinguisher when you need it.

Sitting in a car tends to pack the powder.

This is also useful to do with any extinguishers you have at home.

Hoolio
Fast Driver

Postby Hoolio » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:15 pm

adidistyle wrote:Most el-cheapos are designed for hanging up in the laundry or shed, where dynamic loads don't exist.

Just my 2 cents.

To add to that, the CAMS manual stipulates that the extinguisher must remain restrained under an acceleration of 25 G. As a guide for non-engineers, that means you should be able to hang a load of about 50 kg from it (in any direction).

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Aldi rules!

Postby greenMachine » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:36 pm

Back on the shelf at Aldi this week. You'll pay a buck or two more this time, but still great value, providing ...

greenMachine wrote:
Okibi wrote:Oh and ALWAYS open the box and make sure the gauge is still in the green. :mrgreen:

... and that the date is not a year or more ago (Aldi warehouse unsold stock, and trot it out again (together with new stock) a year or so later).

:mrgreen:

and that it will fit your (or has a metal) mount. These come in a couple of shapes, some are short and fat, others are long and skinny.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:17 am

Hee hee!

Return to “Queensland”