Queensland Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ, JBT

MossRatt
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Where to go, to bed-in brakes

Postby MossRatt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:44 pm

So here's a silly question:
Since my race car is not road legal, and I don't want to bed the brakes in around my local streets, where are some good places to go to bed the brakes in?
I think a general practice session at Lakeside or QR would be the best bet, but whats the etiquette when constantly decelerating from 120 to 20 several times over so the other cars don't rear-end you?

Thanks in advance.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Where to go, to bed-in brakes

Postby Magpie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:58 pm

At QR I normally ask if I can go out early to bed brakes in. Sometimes they let you sometimes not. Lakeside is probably not a good place to bed in rotors, not many straights and too many blind corners.

If at general practice I let people know that I will be bedding brakes in and turn on my rain light to flashing so it warns others.

However, if you are installing new pads of the same type there is no real bed in required. Bed in is making sure that there is a layer of material on the rotors. If you are using old rotors with the same material on them, then it is more about not thermal shocking the pads. If bedding in new rotors then this is a different.

MossRatt
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby MossRatt » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks Magpie, awesome info as always.

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 pm

I have bedded brakes at lakeside... it's not a huge deal. You can just pot around at the back of a gp, just stay off the racing line.
Cheers,
plohl

Return to “Queensland”