ICC Track Day - Morgan Park

Queensland Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ, JBT

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

ICC Track Day - Morgan Park

Postby JBT » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:24 pm

The annual MX5 Club trek to Morgan Park is on again. But this time it's different.
Due to "circumstances", Porsche needed to make their July ICC Sprint day a round of the CAMS State competition. "So what?" you say. Read on...
https://mailchi.mp/8abd77fa0d60/morgan-park-21-7-early-entries-required-or-risk-missing-out-2797321?e=0b0a1aeb54

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: ICC Track Day - Morgan Park

Postby Magpie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Get in quick, the CAMS entry list does not have all the Porsche club entries!

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:44 am

I’m in
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 pm

10 MX5's will be there on Saturday :)

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:07 pm

See you there. Should be fun!
Lakeside 62.3

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:51 am

Custardtart wrote:See you there. Should be fun!
And it was! Times are up https://speedhive.mylaps.com/

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:01 pm

Magpie wrote:
Custardtart wrote:See you there. Should be fun!
And it was! Times are up https://speedhive.mylaps.com/

Great track, thanks for the tyre pressure advice. Had a fun drive back through the range with the top down. All round good day!
Lakeside 62.3

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Custardtart wrote:Great track, thanks for the tyre pressure advice.
Happy to help. Try them between 28/29 hot and see how it goes!

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:55 am

Looks like a good day, albeit a bit cold :)

Really need to line something up and get back out to MP soon.

adidistyle
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby adidistyle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:36 pm

He he he. Some of you guys will get a chuckle out of this.

I had a great day at MP. Tootled of home about 4:30, planning to stop at Aratula round about dark. All going sweet until the first turn to start going down the range at Cunningham's Gap and there's a bit of vibration. Hmmmm. That's a bit strange. Must be the change of surface. The vibration stayed with me all the way down the range. It didn't seem engine or brake related. I pulled over, had a look at the tyres and for anything obvious. Nothing. So I decided to limp on to Aratula, at 80kph, with this rather high frequency vibration. More like a hum you could feel through the steering wheel really.

At Aratula I pulled over at the Shell, pulled the front wheels, checked the tyres, gave the hubs a bit of a check but everything seemed OK. So I decided to push on at 80-90 kph, pretending I was on my way to bowls. It was now dark. Surprisingly, there was very little traffic that overtook me. When I got to Willowbank there was a huge backlog of cars leaving the V8 Supercars. I was almost glad to have my speed restricted to 60kph until Collingwood Park or thereabouts. Eventually I got home, with no apparent degradation. Three hours door to door. I didn't even unpack or garage the car or trailer.Straight to the couch. Next day I unpacked, put the car away, and did other stuff.

A week later I decided I better start checking out what the problem was. Went for a drive to refamiliarise myself with the problem. Pulled the wheels again, changed tyres, checked bearings, looked for bits hanging off. Still nothing conclusive. Went for another drive. The only hint was that the vibration was definitely speed related and that it momentarily disappeared when turning left. Hmmm.

The forum hinted that it might be a wheel bearing, probably front left. My records indicated that I had replaced that 2 years ago. It is the hardest working corner on my car so I decided to replace it with a new one. Nope. Repco no go, and $300+ anyway. So I decided to replace it with my spare.

You know, the one that I sold to Keith and Tim at Morgan Park, temporarily elevating myself to God status. And the one that I fortunately bought back when they diagnosed Operator Error as the problem. The one I have carried back and forth to track for six years. And the one I was fully expecting to use at the Shell servo in Aratula. Lucky for me. When I opened the box I found my spare bearing and the 29 and 30mm sockets that I thought I had lost. They were in there for when they might be needed.

So I replaced the bearing. Took less than one hour. Went for a drive. Problem solved.

Now I can go to Lotus DTC this weekend.

20180729_153150.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Adam Shipway
NA6 for track. NA8B SE (in slow progress)

Return to “Queensland”