Last Ever MX5 Track Day

Queensland Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ, JBT

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Last Ever MX5 Track Day

Postby JBT » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Magpie wrote:My suggestion was to do similar to the 86 club and run a grid on a street/open sprint day on the weekend, this is what a lot of clubs are doing now.

I'm sure that's possible. $150 per car for a half day of 4 runs per car for street sprints. A good price for a weekend.

If the club wanted to do a weekend half day day, you'd be looking at least double that as an entry fee to cover track hire costs. Another reason why club run events are being undersubscribed in the face of this competition from the track owner.

The Club would have to pay the grid price up front ($150 per car) and hope that all grid spots are filled...or lose money. I imagine that it would be a case of dipping the toes in with least financial risk to see the response.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:53 pm

JBT wrote:I'm sure that's possible. $150 per car for a half day of 4 runs per car for street sprints. A good price for a weekend.
The 86 club normally gives me a ring if they need to fill a grid or even fill a second grid. If it is done on a day of general practice the cost is about $200 for all day racing.

Maybe a discussion with the 86 club about running 2 grids? Not sure what the solution is to be honest, however there are enough track days available to keep most people happy. Hopefully will see the club host some ICC events even if it is non track based.

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:02 pm

So the 86 Club was caught out and called because they needed entrants to cover their spare pre-paid slots?

The problem with all this is that everyone expects the (insert name here) Club to stump up the money (for track/facility hire or grid spots), take all the financial risk and then wonder why it all goes to pieces when events are continually undersubscribed.

One thing contributing to the loss of interest in club organised events is the supplier undercutting the fees clubs have to charge to break even on the supplier's track hire charges which increase significantly every year. Club track days started to decline as soon as QR started running mid-week and weekend sprints at prices the clubs could not hope to match.

Maybe the penny will drop with the supplier when clubs can no longer afford to hire the facilities.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:11 pm

JBT wrote:So the 86 Club was caught out and called because they needed entrants to cover their spare pre-paid slots?

The problem with all this is that everyone expects the (insert name here) Club to stump up the money (for track/facility hire or grid spots), take all the financial risk and then wonder why it all goes to pieces when events are continually undersubscribed.

One thing contributing to the loss of interest in club organised events is the supplier undercutting the fees clubs have to charge to break even on the supplier's track hire charges which increase significantly every year. Club track days started to decline as soon as QR started running mid-week and weekend sprints at prices the clubs could not hope to match.

Maybe the penny will drop with the supplier when clubs can no longer afford to hire the facilities.

Food for thought.

JestingPluto808
Learner Driver

Postby JestingPluto808 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:01 pm

I am very new to the MX5 club QLD member 1596. My wife and I enjoy the social club run days but I have more of an interest to get on track. Headed out last Sat to spectate ICC and observe how it happens. I have been part of the happy lap brigade this year. 1 x Lakeside, 1 x QR ONLY. Still testing out to see if this track day thing is for me. Happy to RDO a Monday and $ value. I will be attending Last Ever MX5 Track Day and am nervously looking forward to it in my street NC. Lets see how that goes. I have the club Calendar and looks forward to increaseing my interest an participation. I'm not young but not yet retired.

Excited to share the track but will have the virtual L plate on.

Cheers Rick.

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:27 pm

JestingPluto808 wrote:I am very new to the MX5 club QLD member 1596. My wife and I enjoy the social club run days but I have more of an interest to get on track. Headed out last Sat to spectate ICC and observe how it happens. I have been part of the happy lap brigade this year. 1 x Lakeside, 1 x QR ONLY. Still testing out to see if this track day thing is for me. Happy to RDO a Monday and $ value. I will be attending Last Ever MX5 Track Day and am nervously looking forward to it in my street NC. Lets see how that goes. I have the club Calendar and looks forward to increaseing my interest an participation. I'm not young but not yet retired.

Excited to share the track but will have the virtual L plate on.

Cheers Rick.

Welcome. I run a mostly stock NC. There’s a track day on 14th Sept at lakeside run by the BMW Club Qld which is part of the ICC. Should be a fun day and will be run in sessions so novices don’t have to worry about super fast cars. Happy to chat more if you have any questions
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 pm

JestingPluto808
Learner Driver

Postby JestingPluto808 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Great. Thanks very much for taking the time to comment and the effort i nposting all the track time links. Much appreciated.Next time. you guys looked pretty occupied. Next time.

JestingPluto808
Learner Driver

Postby JestingPluto808 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:20 pm

Thanks again . Lakeside makes me pretty nervous and cant get the ime off due to my having the 10th off for "Discovery Laps" but sounds like the go for future. I will keep an eye out on the events suggested in posts/

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Custardtart wrote: There’s a track day on 14th Sept at lakeside run by the BMW Club Qld which is part of the ICC.
???
Next one is - September 29 Hillclimb Mt Cotton (same date as King of QR)
Then October 14 Khanacross (I will be in Sydney)

JestingPluto808 wrote:Lakeside makes me pretty nervous
That is a good way to think about it. Lakeside is a fun track, however I do not have enough seat time there to push mine or the cars limits. QR and Morgan Park are places where you can push and not be too badly punished...

Best advice is make sure the car is in good condition, tyres at the correct pressure, brake pads that will last the day and go out and enjoy :)

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Magpie wrote:
Custardtart wrote: There’s a track day on 14th Sept at lakeside run by the BMW Club Qld which is part of the ICC.
???
Next one is - September 29 Hillclimb Mt Cotton (same date as King of QR)
Then October 14 Khanacross (I will be in Sydney)

JestingPluto808 wrote:Lakeside makes me pretty nervous
That is a good way to think about it. Lakeside is a fun track, however I do not have enough seat time there to push mine or the cars limits. QR and Morgan Park are places where you can push and not be too badly punished...

Best advice is make sure the car is in good condition, tyres at the correct pressure, brake pads that will last the day and go out and enjoy :)

This is the link below for the 14th Sept. It was originally planned for the 7th but they changed the date to 14th.
https://www.bmwcq.com.au/event-2839345
They just added an afternoon session for $115 if people can’t do the whole day.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:23 pm

Custardtart wrote:They just added an afternoon session for $115 if people can’t do the whole day.

...and because they are having problems, just like the MX-5 Club, getting enough entries. Clever marketing which, as a BMW Club member, I fully support. :)
Unfortunately, I cannot attend either event next week.

project.r.racing
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby project.r.racing » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:18 am

I remember attending my first ones in say 2008ish. They were on random days throughout the week. And I had regular RDOS on mondays and vocalized as such. At some point they just became always mondays. I remember it suiting others also. But their was only 4 per year back then. Was it still 4 per year in 2018?

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:47 am

Well, that was a heap of fun. Thanks Brian and QR crew for making this run so smoothly. Lots of tracktime and some really interesting cars.

CrazyRacer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby CrazyRacer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:Well, that was a heap of fun. Thanks Brian and QR crew for making this run so smoothly. Lots of tracktime and some really interesting cars.

I'd echo that. I had a ball.

Good to get out on track again after a 15 year absence.

A few of us spoke to Brian about the "Last Ever MX5 Track Day" and his attitude was that it would likely be the last run exclusively for the MX5 club only. Any future ones would need to include other clubs (most likely ICC clubs) to prop up the numbers.

Return to “Queensland”