Qld Raceway Sprints - Full Day

Queensland Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ, JBT

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Re: Qld Raceway Sprints - Full Day

Postby JBT » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:50 pm

my preference is not regularity even if it is cheaper than a 'normal' sprint day

Regularity events cost just as much as sprint - the track hire is the same.

Regularity, as in most consistent lap times in any run - worked out by looking at the least difference between any set number of laps in a run, are easily done concurrently with sprints as nothing is changed.

Anyway, this is a sprint day.

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:57 pm

JBT wrote:Regularity events cost just as much as sprint - the track hire is the same.
Anyway, this is a sprint day.

I was thinking the difference between the cost of a QR sprint day (or others) compared to the cost of a club track day.
Was not aware it was a sprint only day, my bad because I may not have read the email fully.

I just looked on the club web site and this event is not listed :(

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:15 pm

Perhaps the club could look at why numbers are down. There’s a great bit of software called Survey Monkey that they could use to ask members questions about why they’re not attending and what they like or don’t like about the way events are run.
Facebook and Instagram are used widely by younger owners who may not currently be members. Perhaps a digital strategy might help broaden the member base?
All suggestions are meant in a positive spirit.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:25 am

Custardtart wrote:Perhaps the club could look at why numbers are down. There’s a great bit of software called Survey Monkey that they could use to ask members questions about why they’re not attending and what they like or don’t like about the way events are run.
Facebook and Instagram are used widely by younger owners who may not currently be members. Perhaps a digital strategy might help broaden the member base?
All suggestions are meant in a positive spirit.

Good idea.

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:34 am

I just looked on the club web site and this event is not listed

This round is not part of the MX-5 Club competition series - ask Brian why.
Perhaps the club could look at why numbers are down....

They've been there and done that. Things change, people move on. Some won't commit until it's too late and some would rather talk about it and melt tyres.
These (BMWCQ) events are widely broadcast - BMWCQ website (MX-5 Club website when the club is involved), targeted emails to past entrants, BMWCQ wide emails, Facebook (BMWCQ and MX-5).
All clubs seem to be suffering the issue.
Qld Raceways is also our biggest competitor by running their own sprint events which, as I recall, only require a commitment 24 hours prior the event. The clubs cannot hope to match QR's prices and the clubs cannot sustain losses in the thousands of dollars.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:05 am

Yes, I understand about the monopoly that the track operator has. That is very tricky to deal with. On a brighter note I think that Mr Custardtart has some in depth professional knowledge around online marketing.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:54 am

Red_Bullet wrote:On a brighter note I think that Mr Custardtart has some in depth professional knowledge around online marketing.

This is not a marketing issue, at least in my opinion. Whilst it could be argued that QR has the monopoly if you look at the QR calendar it is not 100% full. The issue is a shrinking base in the club, but not all clubs. Have a look at the numbers attending from different clubs for the inter club Challenge...

As I mentioned previously the MX5 website does not even have this event. No amount of professional online marketing will help if you cannot help yourself. I just looked on the Facebook page, nothing as well for this event, actually almost no motorsport related posts recently. Sorry, happy laps is not motorsport.

Maybe the solution is to save the club some money and drop motorsport. Whilst some current members will leave the loss of their membership fees should be less than the loss made on the motorsport events. Hence the decision is needed if motorsport is a part of the MX5 club before professional online marketing can be considered. Also, online marketing takes a Hughe commitment to stay CURRENT AND RELEVANT.

On a personal note it has taken me a long time to build a half decent online presence, this was worth the effort as I have again been selected on Team Racepak based on part for my online contributions to the Racepak brand. It was a conscious decision I made to improve my online profile that helped. So, a decision is needed first.

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:12 pm

As I mentioned previously the MX5 website does not even have this event.

As I said previously, it is not a part of the MX-5 competition rounds so, its not there - ask Brian. Its on both MX-5 Club Facebook pages and the BMW Club's website and Facebook page. I think QR are also going to put it up on their Facebook page.

Remember, all MX-5 Club members are welcomed and are offered BMW Club entry fee rates. $195 for a full day is great value and BMW Club will loan you a timer at no charge.
Maybe the solution is to save the club some money and drop motorsport....

This is a problem for all car clubs for individual motorsport events - we need to combine forces and thus the advent of Inter Club.

Anyway, back to this event - the brother of this car will be running at this track day. Its Frank Gardner JPS E30 M3 build #1 of 6. Running with number 87 - the year of it's birth (1987). We saw it today on a BMW Club drive and visit to a private collection on the north coast hinterland where it was getting some TLC and final prep. Managed to avoid drooling. So come out and see this rare car running where it was meant to be.

M3 JPS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:50 pm

Wow, that's nice. I'd almost cancel my holiday to have a drive of that. :wink:

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:41 pm

A half day (afternoon) session is now available for $125 (club member) and $135 (non-member). Grab that while you can. 8)

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:54 pm

That's really great value! Cheapest track time I've heard of in the five years I've been involved with club sprints.... :shock:

Custardtart
Racing Driver

Postby Custardtart » Wed May 01, 2019 1:03 pm

If I get the car back from the tuner I’ll do this day if I can still get in.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

adidistyle
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby adidistyle » Thu May 02, 2019 6:17 pm

The MX-5 club used to offer early bird specials, did that help to get early entries?

In 2015-17 when I was looking after the MX5 events the Early Bird offer made a huge difference. 95% or higher were entered by the Thursday prior, and maybe 80% by two weeks prior (there was early and super-early bird offers). The late entries were usually from outside the club and often people needing to practice or test, versus actual track day participants. They provided the very modest profit margins. I don't know if that is still the case.
Adam Shipway
NA6 for track. NA8B SE (in slow progress)

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Tue May 07, 2019 3:24 pm

There were some late entries and the list looks good with 41 starters, including 5 x half dayers. Many thanks from BMWCQ to all entrants for making it a success.

Don't forget the ICC Sunday regularity charity challenge at Lakeside on 9 June 19. Only $195.00 per car.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Sat May 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Just looked on Natsoft, not many MX5's :(

Return to “Queensland”