MX-5 Club of QLD 2020

Queensland Motorsport

Moderators: timk, Andrew, miata, AJ, JBT

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Re: MX-5 Club of QLD 2020

Postby The American » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:42 am

I think several already exist in one way or another.

Roadster Nakame Mx5 Club Of Queensland - like the real one, but for younger people who like memes and bagging Baby Boomers. They do meet ups, trade parts and have a community of people (and occasional sausage dogs?)

Dodgy day(ers) - another group of friends who associate around the shared love of DIY, sweating on their backs on concrete and skinning knuckles.

Prodsports - Mx5 owner graduates of Other Groups who actually want to race.

The OG Mx5 club of QLD - which requires no further explanation (happy laps on Friday morning, cruise to The Location for coffee on Saturday)

Stance potato racing - the dark underbelly of Mx5 clubs which is run like a cult, complete with charismatic leader and the occasional ritual sacrifice. This one was a little too dark for me.

The gap is really around organised but not door to door Mx5 Motorsport - the rest is catered to. It’s this that requires a stack of commitment from a core group and effort (and some money) to make work. The easy option is to piggy back, and perhaps find an existing motorsport club to associate with (for CAMS membership and event organisation). One of the key organisers of the SCMSC events just bought an MX5...

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Magpie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 am

The American wrote:Stance potato racing - the dark underbelly of Mx5 clubs which is run like a cult, complete with charismatic leader and the occasional ritual sacrifice. This one was a little too dark for me.
Has the Carrot Topped leader surfaced again? Last know activity was in 2017 when it was at 2.0...

The American wrote:I think several already exist in one way or another.
Being slightly cynical, these groups have grown and consolidated (with the exception of Stance Potato Racing) because the MX5 Club QLD did not feel a need to be inclusive of ALL MX5 owners no matter their age or interest. When a species becomes too exclusive they just fade away as they loose their genetic diversity.

Custardtart
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby Custardtart » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:49 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:Random late night idea.

Maybe we could take part in a greater and more varied loose affiliation as the "MX-5 Motorsport enthusiasts group." God no, sounds like a splinter group. Pretty much runs along the lines that you have all identified anyway in previous posts. Just needs a co-ordinator/s. Word of mouth and some kind of loose modern communicative structure to keep the news and ideas flowing.

Anybody use whatsapp? It's good for group communications.

In fact, I'm starting to think that the whole concept of "club" is outdated and cumbersome. Very much a last century concept.

I actually think you might be on to something. I don't think the younger generation have any real interest or concept of a "club". I'd happily put my hand up to maintain a championship table and organise beers every now and again. We could easily set up a group Whatsapp, I have one for my soccer club and few other social clubs and we could use the Facebook page to host events we're all going to. Why would I bother? I actually enjoy meeting other MX5 owners on track and that seems to be getting harder and harder.
NC1 - 2.5 opposite lock device
Lakeside 62.3

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:50 pm

There are always a complete of dodgy days each year...

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby Red_Bullet » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Hmmm, this is all starting to sound pretty positive, It shouldn't be too hard to put together. Combines well with the dodgy day concept too. It's pretty easy to find events with the likes of Skid Control, SDT, Sunshine Coast Motorsport Club and QR's general practise and sprint sessions. I've already contacted SDT and Skid Control during my brief foray into the car club committee failed experiment.

I agree a simple facebook page, will need some kind of moderation to make it idiot and negativity proof. Whatsapp to create a level communication structure. Shouldn't be too onerous at all.

It just occurred to me that we may have gone full circle. Didn't car clubs originate with this very idea? Duh!!

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:47 am

I think where the clubs might have gone wrong is when they decided to become incorporated, anything run by a committee becomes tiresome, inflexible and overly constrained by red tape. It also creates an unlevel us and them structure with the committee seen to be the tyranical but useless overlords. Too many administrative hoops to jump through for those trying to run it. Whole thing becomes bogged down and stagnant, interested only in maintaining the status quo. Inflexible, hanging on to outdated ideas, "well it used to work so it should still work now" mentality.

Anything run by a committee doesn't have the flexibility it needs to adapt to a changing environment. It's the club incorporated onerous and legalistic structure that's the problem, not the people in it. They are just doing what they can in the best way they know how within the constraints of all those damn rules.

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:37 am

Red_Bullet wrote:It's the club incorporated onerous and legalistic structure that's the problem, not the people in it. They are just doing what they can in the best way they know how within the constraints of all those damn rules.
DISAGREE, the articles of incorporation are almost the same for every club! It is the people that run the club that eventually become the problem either through length of service or nobody wants the position so the current position holder keeps it in perpetuity.

Here in lies the problem, the longer the people in power remain the less chance there are for people to challenge. The people in power then surround themselves with like minded people and hence the dynasty is started. General apathy sets in for the rest of the members who believe that nothing will change so get even more apathetic. Think the 5 monkey experiment...

Positions of power need to have max terms and the elections offset. For example if max two year term, then half the executive are changed each year.

Then again, because the roles are voluntary not too many people will stand up and give up their spare time. Especially if their spare time is for a lost cause.

Red_Bullet wrote:I agree a simple facebook page, will need some kind of moderation to make it idiot and negativity proof. Whatsapp to create a level communication structure. Shouldn't be too onerous at all.
KISS You can still do this with people being in other clubs...

SKYHI
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby SKYHI » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:15 pm

I only just stumbled across, and joined, the "MX5 Motorsport Australia " FB page. Not sure if you guys are on it, but maybe you could just try and organise to get a few locals together at a event via this page?

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:53 pm

SKYHI wrote:I only just stumbled across, and joined, the "MX5 Motorsport Australia " FB page. Not sure if you guys are on it, but maybe you could just try and organise to get a few locals together at a event via this page?

Thanks SKYHI, I'll have a look at it. No point reinventing the wheel.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Magpie wrote:
Red_Bullet wrote:It's the club incorporated onerous and legalistic structure that's the problem, not the people in it. They are just doing what they can in the best way they know how within the constraints of all those damn rules.
DISAGREE, the articles of incorporation are almost the same for every club! It is the people that run the club that eventually become the problem either through length of service or nobody wants the position so the current position holder keeps it in perpetuity.

Here in lies the problem, the longer the people in power remain the less chance there are for people to challenge. The people in power then surround themselves with like minded people and hence the dynasty is started. General apathy sets in for the rest of the members who believe that nothing will change so get even more apathetic. Think the 5 monkey experiment...

Positions of power need to have max terms and the elections offset. For example if max two year term, then half the executive are changed each year.

Then again, because the roles are voluntary not too many people will stand up and give up their spare time. Especially if their spare time is for a lost cause.

Red_Bullet wrote:I agree a simple facebook page, will need some kind of moderation to make it idiot and negativity proof. Whatsapp to create a level communication structure. Shouldn't be too onerous at all.
KISS You can still do this with people being in other clubs...

I'm trying to be conciliatory and appreciative to those who went before. Repect thy elders..hahahahha :P :P :beer:

Magpie
Speed Racer

Postby Magpie » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 pm

Red_Bullet wrote:I'm trying to be conciliatory and appreciative to those who went before.
I choose my words carefully :) I was tempted to go US postal, but it would have come out like sour grapes. I think I just came across as jaded, bitter and twisted. Probably why my children give me T shirts with "Grumpy Old Man" on them...

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Magpie, you aren't even old enough to be described as a grumpy old man. Leave it to us experts mate :beer: :beer:

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:23 pm

But he get's extra points on grumpy to make up for what he lacks in old :mrgreen:

plohl
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby plohl » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:16 pm

Prod sports has a new president - he races an mx5, and is keen to help grow the club and get more peeps racing.
Cheers,
plohl

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks Shane, too scared.

Return to “Queensland”