Natmeet - 2008 - Victoria

MX5 National Meet

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, AJ

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:59 am

After a great deal of expense, stress and drama the W.A. group made it to Natmeet only a few hours late.

I have a few comments, it will take awhile to pen my thoughts, there were some rule changes, people and activities that spoiled what was a well planned and well run event.

Much of the event is really suited for the "older" crowd, from all indications the Vic club made a fair change to previous Natmeets but think it's going to take awhile to shake the stigma.

While I don't want to turn the event into a contiki tour we need to strongly reconsider events like a costume party (Our entire group decided that car space was at a premium and couldn't justify trying to compete at this event).

There were lots of great evening dinners but with events the following morning starting at the crack of dawn (some times before dawn) it added extra strain. Perhaps it's almost a safety issue when you don't give people the opportunity to get a decent nights sleep. For the W.A. group this was compounded because we'd had to depart Adelaide at midday and drive to Beechworth direct, arriving late evening and having to be up to clean our cars to concourse standard at dawn the next day. We had begun a packed weekend away already exhausted.

It's quiet easy to pick holes and make issue from everything that didn't run smoothly or suit my particular expectations. Any feedback needs to be considered constructive and not a rant or criticism.

For those in NSW and the host state it's a weekend away for us in W.A. it's a major expense and a lot more planning is involved. For that reason I think we have a bigger expectation, it was nice to be welcomed by the majority and to make some great friendships. In particular the South Australian club whom really looked after us especially Lynne and Roger Trethewey who gave us their house to live in for the extra days we were stuck in S.A. and their cars to use.

There were one or two unannounced rule changes that really soured the event for our entire group. We need to make sure a national structure and a certain level of professionalism is maintained rather than leaving decisions to the whim of an organiser.

It is very important to decide on the structure and the rules for the event before deposits are taken so that club members nationally know what to expect.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:11 pm

Just received our DVD of NatMeet 2008 today. OUTSTANDING :!:

Thanks Roady et all who contributed. Such great memories of a terrific event. :D

Bring on NatMeet 2010. :mrgreen:

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:31 am

Glad to see they're on their way :lol:
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:21 am

I expect a full copy of the results from Grant and Murray some time soon, each competitor has received their score so all the data will have been tabulated.

Return to “Natmeet”