QLD Convoy to Natmeet 2010

MX5 National Meet

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, AJ

TheMissus

Postby TheMissus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:50 pm

We went down and back in convoy last time and would love to do the same again because we had so much fun thanks to Colin & Di, John & Marion and Tony and the others we collected along the way!

We're thinking we would like to do the same again and are starting the planning and saving now. We want to do a "quick" drive down staying at Coonabarabran on 29/3, Hay on 30/3 and then somewhere close to the Adelaide International Raceway on 31/3 for the yet to be confirmed track day on 1/4. That's about 700km a day and we should be able to do that comfortably with some stops and some looking around.

From what we understand if you're doing motor sport then you will have a slightly different and more expensive accomodation package including accomodation at McLaren Vale on 1/4. If the track day doesn't happen we would leave on 31/3 stay Coonabarabran that night, Hay 1/4 and check in at McLaren Vale PM 2/4.

On the way back we'd like to take the scenic route taking as long as we need to and doing the GOR and a trip through Koziosco National Park and some of western NSW checking out some off the beaten track places, little windy roads, small towns and great characters.

Our return trip last year was deliberately off the highway and was so much fun. Tiny little winding roads with no-one on them, tiny little one pub towns (where we bought a cooler from every pub we had a beer at) with fabulously friendly country folk (strange but lovely characters). What we're looking forward to most about Natmeet 2010 is actually the trip down and back!

We're open to suggestions from fellow travellers on the exact route home and places to stay and see. So now we're looking for an idea of who is interested. We figure the earlier we book the better the discount and the more likely we are to get to stay the places we want to (it being Easter and all).

So are you in? Let us know here or PM me or ASE05 if you'd prefer ...

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby JBT » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Yep, the run down and back last year was great. :)

We're thinking of a 3 night trip to McLaren Vale but we're not doing the track day. For us, this means leaving Brissie on Tuesday 30 Mar 10 to Gilgandra, Wednesday 31 Mar 10 to Hay, Thursday 1 Apr 10 to Nuriootpa or Tanunda, Friday 2 Apr 10 to McLaren Vale down through the Barossa.

This leaves a bit of time for hiccups enroute and a chance to clean up the car and clothes at Nuriootpa/Tanunda for a short touristy drive down to McLaren Vale on Good Friday. I'd hate to get to McLaren Vale after an 8 hour drive and then have to clean the car for concourse on 3 Apr 10 - I'd collapse at the welcome BBQ. :roll:

We're also looking at GOR etc. for the run back. Not sure yet which way to go after the Melbourne area.

CapitalF
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby CapitalF » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:50 pm

When we (the whole family) towed the MX5 behind our Patrol to SA and back last September (for the Motorkhana Nationals) we did a slow trip there and came back in 3 days - from Murray Bridge to first night at Hay (the RSL club for dinner was OK but there may be better around), second night at Dubbo, and home third night. They were long days but we had time to spend at the Dish (near Parkes) and also to the Cotton Centre at Narrabri - very informative.

Peter

PS We had a ball in SA with lots of tourist things done. Monarto Zoo and pre-arranging feeding the lions was a highlight for the whole family. Of course the Barossa was great, although expensive for us :-)

Have fun!
90 Silver Roadster 1.6 + GT2554, large IC, MS-PNP, lightened flywheel, HD Clutch, 2.5" exh, Teins, Whiteline, etc etc

TheMissus

Postby TheMissus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:22 pm

JBT wrote:Yep, the run down and back last year was great. :)

We're thinking of a 3 night trip to McLaren Vale but we're not doing the track day. For us, this means leaving Brissie on Tuesday 30 Mar 10 to Gilgandra, Wednesday 31 Mar 10 to Hay, Thursday 1 Apr 10 to Nuriootpa or Tanunda, Friday 2 Apr 10 to McLaren Vale down through the Barossa.

This leaves a bit of time for hiccups enroute and a chance to clean up the car and clothes at Nuriootpa/Tanunda for a short touristy drive down to McLaren Vale on Good Friday. I'd hate to get to McLaren Vale after an 8 hour drive and then have to clean the car for concourse on 3 Apr 10 - I'd collapse at the welcome BBQ. :roll:

We're also looking at GOR etc. for the run back. Not sure yet which way to go after the Melbourne area.

If there is no Track day then the 3 night run down might be the plan. I'd forgotten about the mad rush to clean everything for concourse and knowing what a perfectionist himself is then we want to allow time and be well rested :roll: . We thought that after Melbourne we could try the road through Kosicosco from last time only without the rain this time. It was a great road but would be better without the foot of wet stuff out of the sky! We can recommend some of the back roads after we split at Cowra ... they were great fun and we met some awesome people. Perhaps we can compare maps at a run some time soon?

We're thinking if we aim to book accomodation for down and back by about when the second Natmeet installment is due we should know whether we are planning for with or without track day.

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Sounds like a plan. Coonabarabran might be better on the way to SA rather than Gilgandra which we stayed at last time.

Not sure about which way to go from the GOR still. There's the road up to Corryong from the Sale/Bairnsdale area but then there's also the route up through Bega and across to Cooma etc. Too many roads and not enough time. :)

It sure would be nice to run the roads we used up through the snowies again but without the pouring rain and the roadkill. :roll:

TheMissus

Postby TheMissus » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:43 pm

:lol: Yeah the roadkill wasn't a highlight and thank goodness for the cold and rain or it could have been (smelling) a whole lot worse for longer ... poor Tony and poor you guys to a slightly lesser extent!

MINX
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby MINX » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:22 am

All sounds terrific.
We have never dríven these areas at all.
Not doing track for us either.
Lakeside 1:02.94 Clubman 1:04.61 Sprint 1:00.81 Sportsman 1:04.27 National 1:28.36 WP 1:15.45 MtCotton 0:51.13 Symmons 1:12.2 Baskerville 1:08

MX5-SP
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby MX5-SP » Tue May 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Ann and I will meet up with youse guys at McLaren Vale as we will be traveling to Adelaide from Sydney and back to Sydney as I expect to be based there around that time, so I'll be trying to hook-up with the NSW chaps. Your plans sound great (...other than the Hay Plain).

One of the reasons for wanting to go to Natmeet this year is McLaren Vale used to be my old stomping ground in the days when Ann and I were driving Honda S600s, and then later a '73 Datto 240Z. If the roads are as good as I remember them, then we're in for a good time amongst the vales and the vines.
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

lil red rocket
Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby lil red rocket » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi All
:wink: Brian & June and Pat & Linda are also coming in our new rebuilt turbo NA's. We both paid our deposits today. Should be a great time coming and going as well as the Natmeet if our Coffs excursions was anything to go by. Anyone know if Tony Doust is going? John are we going to hook up with the Newcastle club?

I don't know all the forum names, however, I believe this is the Group so far:
I apologise if I've missed anyone or got the models wrong .

Steve and Eve NB
Frank and Liz ND
Peter and Brenda NC
John and Marion NC
Brian and June NA
Pat and Linda NA
Stewart and Lisa SE
Andrew and Ann SP
[color=#BF00FF]I like it! I like it a LOT!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3368773/3

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Additions to the list:

Derek & Michelle SE
Craig & Michelle SE
Tony & ? NC
Col & Di NC

Note: The MG National Meeting for 2010 is also scheduled for Easter in Adelaide. 200-300 cars from all over Australia typically attend the event, so enroute accommodation may become scarce. Early bookings may be a wise move. :wink:
Last edited by JBT on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Postby MX5-SP » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:35 pm

JBT wrote:...Note: The MG National Meeting for 2010 is also scheduled for Easter in Adelaide. 200-300 cars from all over Australia typically attend the event, so enroute accommodation may become scarce. Early bookings may be a wise move. :wink:

That's a good point John.

...er, has anyone accepted responsibility for coordinating this trip? I'm getting a bit confused as there seems to be a number of versions floating about (i.e. 'MX5 Club QLD Forum', 'Rag-Top Review', and this thread) all showing different start dates/routes. It would be good to know if there is a central focal point, or persons to contact if there is more than one group!

Also, in case the point has been missed... Snow White will be leaving from Sydney (not Brisbane) early on Thursday morning (06:00). It would be good if we could catch up with 'a convoy' (although a non-MG variety is preferred) at Balranald on Thursday evening - but don't make any special plans around us though as our preference is to head to Tailem Bend and cross the Murray by the punt at Wellington and come into McLaren Vale via Paris Creek/Dashwood Gully.

Back to John's point, I'd like to make a booking at Balranald sooner, rather than later, so it would be appreciated if an early decision can be reached - otherwise, we'll see youse all at McLaren Vale.

P.S. If anyone wants a map of Snow White's intended route then send me a PM.

Cheers

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:58 pm

As you point out Andrew, there is some information/thought about coordinating a group run to McLaren Vale in the latest Rag-Top Review. However, that is based around a departure from Brisbane on Saturday and arriving McLaren Vale on Wednesday. The timings don't suit us at all though.

Mrs JBT and I plan (as per my post on 22 Mar 09) to leave Brisbane on Tuesday to arrive McLaren Vale on Friday via the Barossa. The firmed up plan is: Day 1 (Tues) to Gilgandra, day 2 (Wed) to Hay, day 3 (Thur) to Nuriootpa and day 4 (Fri) to McLaren Vale. I've sussed out sub $100/night motels and will be making our bookings next week. Anyone who wants to run with us is more than welcome; just email me to indicate your interest and we'll coordinate things from there.

Normally people make their own way to NatMeet and run in groups if convenient/as required. There is no club run organised as such. Last time, four QLD cars ran down in one group, I think another three or four went on different days in another group and one went as a single. The four in our group all made their own bookings but we agreed on places to stay on the two overnights.

So Andrew, I guess we'll see you at McLaren Vale because we'll be passing through Balranald for breakfast on the Thursday.

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Postby MX5-SP » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:38 am

OK... We'll see you there.

TheMissus

Postby TheMissus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:58 pm

We booked our accomodation for the trip down today! I'm starting to get excited about Nat Meet now ...

MINX
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby MINX » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Good to hear Michelle.
It will be Easter before we know it!
Lakeside 1:02.94 Clubman 1:04.61 Sprint 1:00.81 Sportsman 1:04.27 National 1:28.36 WP 1:15.45 MtCotton 0:51.13 Symmons 1:12.2 Baskerville 1:08

Return to “Natmeet”