MX5 National Meet

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, AJ

Charlie Brown
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC
Location: Sydney, Just out of Dragon Territory over the bridge in the "Shire"

Natmeet Luggage - A guide to what fits

Postby Charlie Brown » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 pm

I thought I should provide some luggage information for those travelling to Natmeet and always finding it hard to pack everything for a 5 day event plus those extra days travelling to and from the meet.

I was looking at importing some of the bags specifically designed to utilise every square millimetre of the MX-5 boot but by the time I factored in the shipping costs, those soft bags started to look expensive.

Out with the tape measure and into the boot to check what will fit. After much searching, and this site has a mountain of bags and plenty of information http://www.bagworld.com.au/
I headed off to the local store to carry out a test check to ensure that what I selected would actually fit the NC boot with a helmet included for the track day.

We settled on two Samsonite Duralite 52cm bags, international flight carry on bag size. The helmet fits on the left, then the two bags. There is still a small space on the RHS for a toiletries bag, shoes, drinks etc. This bag had the biggest volume of the many international flight bags available. It’s expandable from 37 – 47 litres. The domestic flight bag is 4cm smaller and only expands to 38 litres.

This leaves the “well” area of the boot to be filled with another bag. We ended up with two Antler Zotec shoulder tote bags. One for him and one for her.

The four bags weren't cheap but they are excellent quality bags that can be used for travel trips other than those in the MX-5.

Hope this information will help those with an NC. I’ll leave it to other to post what’s best for an NA and NB.
Last edited by Charlie Brown on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wakefield 1:09.13 Eastern Creek GP 1:50.198 Ext 2:17.538 Sth 1:02.9003
Phillip Is 1:58.50 Winton Short 1:10.7 Lakeside 1:05.7711 MDTC 45.20

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 pm

We took the easy way out and used four cloth (Woolies/Coles) type shopping bags and a couple of flat suit bags. Only need to take out one for the overnight stops enroute. Filled my helmet with sox and jox. The rest of the stuff like shoes (and squirrel secret car detailing stuff :mrgreen: ) gets poked in all the spare spots.

Sailor
Racing Driver

Postby Sailor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:20 pm

Removing the boot liner opens up an enormous (in MX5 terms) amount of extra space.
Rob

05 NCLE, Cosworth SC,PF01,Ohlins,Selby,GWR exh
"We're only given a tiny spark of madness.We mustn't lose it"(Robin Williams)

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Okibi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:30 pm

Sailor wrote:Removing the boot liner opens up an enormous (in MX5 terms) amount of extra space.

Yup but then you'd be marked down on the concourse ... so would keeping your service manual safely at home or adding extra tools to the tool kit for the long drive. :P
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:45 am

....and rightly so.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:42 am

JBT wrote:We took the easy way out and used four cloth (Woolies/Coles) type shopping bags and a couple of flat suit bags. Only need to take out one for the overnight stops enroute. Filled my helmet with sox and jox. The rest of the stuff like shoes (and squirrel secret car detailing stuff :mrgreen: ) gets poked in all the spare spots.

You may want a new helmet after stuffing your used "sox and jox" in it on the way home :twisted:
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

Okibi
Speed Racer

Postby Okibi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:55 pm

I don't understand why they continue to insist on having a "fancy dress" night, it's difficult enough to fit all your luggage into your car, especially people who're travelling for several days to get to Natmeet.
If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

broady
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby broady » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Okibi wrote:I don't understand why they continue to insist on having a "fancy dress" night, it's difficult enough to fit all your luggage into your car, especially people who're travelling for several days to get to Natmeet.

I put forward a motion to replace "fancy dress" night with "no pants" night.

Who's with me? yeahhh!
人馬一体 NA8
Tein SS, Torsen T2, BD, Maxim Works→RS*R, ARC, Koyo, SSR, Sparco, Flyin' Miata & bling!

6/5/2010

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:17 pm

broady wrote:I put forward a motion to replace "fancy dress" night with "no pants" night.

Who's with me? yeahhh!

Motion not required - someone from Qld did it :!: :shock: :lol:

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:06 pm

broady wrote:
Okibi wrote:I don't understand why they continue to insist on having a "fancy dress" night, it's difficult enough to fit all your luggage into your car, especially people who're travelling for several days to get to Natmeet.

I put forward a motion to replace "fancy dress" night with "no pants" night.

Who's with me? yeahhh!

You could have put some bear ears on your head, coloured your nose black, attended without pants and tell everyone you've come as Humphrey Bear (he never wore pants).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

CoffeeBoss
suntory

Re: Natmeet Luggage - A guide to what fits

Postby CoffeeBoss » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Just updating this thread, this is my luggage, which fits perfectly in the NC (is designed to do so)

The large bag fits a helmet in one end.

More here

Return to “Natmeet”