Road Trip from Brisbane to NatMeet 2012

MX5 National Meet

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, AJ

JBT
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Road Trip from Brisbane to NatMeet 2012

Postby JBT » Tue May 31, 2011 7:48 am

I'm looking at options from Brisbane to Canberra over two days.

Day 1: Brisbane to Gunnedah via Texas, Warialda, Lake Keepit - happy with this one
Day 2: Gunnedah to Canberra via Mudgee.

After Mudgee options in preferred order:
1. Lithgow, Hampton, Jenolan, Oberon, Taralga, Goulburn - long day but potentially very good and unfamiliar roads
2. Bathurst, Oberon, Taralga, Goulburn - shorter day with familiar but good roads
3. Bathurst, Cowra, Yass - shortest day but booooring as
4. Bathurst, Trunkey Ck, Crookwell - not viable with large sections unsealed.

Are we likely to run into any problems with traffic jams going through Jenolan on the Thursday prior to Easter :?:

MX5-SP
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Re: Road Trip To NatMeet 2012

Postby MX5-SP » Tue May 31, 2011 8:53 am

Do you have any time/distance estimates for options 1 & 2 John? Given that we're heading to a 4-day car related event I think the noise from the BOV will be a bit too much to bear if Option 1 is chosen. So I'm inclined to vote for Option 2 otherwise the risk total deafness in my left ear.
Snow White: Torsen 3.9 LSD, A/Sway Bars, R/Bar Plus Clear Reflectors!

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 am

Two words Andrew - ear plugs :mrgreen:

Day 1 - 640 km - approx 8.0 hours plus stops - scenery for BOV and some fun for you

Day 2
Option 1 - 680 km - approx 9.2 hours plus stops - very scenic drive for BOV and fun for you
Option 2 - 640 km - approx 8.6 hours plus stops - scenic drive for BOV and some fun for you
Option 3 - 660 km - approx 8.3 hours plus stops - BOV can sleep and you can be bored
Option 4 - forget it.

Tony
Racing Driver

Re: Road Trip from Brisbane to NatMeet 2012

Postby Tony » Tue May 31, 2011 9:53 am

John,

I'm extremely familiar all the rodas you've mentioned, particularly those around the Central West. I'll give you a call this eveing to discuss if you like.

Regards...
'09 NC2

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Postby MX5-SP » Tue May 31, 2011 9:59 am

JBT wrote:Two words Andrew - ear plugs :mrgreen:

Day 1 - 640 km - approx 8.0 hours plus stops - scenery for BOV and some fun for you

Day 2
Option 1 - 680 km - approx 9.2 hours plus stops - very scenic drive for BOV and fun for you
Option 2 - 640 km - approx 8.6 hours plus stops - scenic drive for BOV and some fun for you
Option 3 - 660 km - approx 8.3 hours plus stops - BOV can sleep and you can be bored
Option 4 - forget it.

The difference between options 1 & 2 is hardly worth mentioning. I thought it might be more.

BTW - I've already tried ear plugs to no avail - hence the hearing problem. The situation is much worse when driving LHD vehicles.

MX5-SP
Racing Driver

Postby MX5-SP » Tue May 31, 2011 11:43 am

Davex3 wrote:
MX5-SP wrote:BTW - I've already tried ear plugs to no avail - hence the hearing problem. The situation is much worse when driving LHD vehicles.

Suck it up old man, if its too loud you're too old. :lol: My car has a 3.1" exhaust and a bov, it shouldn't be too bad.

I once did a Gold Cost to Sydney and back again drive in my old 98 VTiR Prelude with a 2.5" straight though exhaust (no mufflers), now that was loud. :mrgreen:

...The fish are biting early today :)

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Tue May 31, 2011 12:27 pm

Tony wrote:I'll give you a call this eveing to discuss if you like....

Ha, you read my mind :mrgreen: . I'll call you about 7:30pm if that's OK. I have some other car things to talk to you about too.

Davex3 wrote:I like your plans JBT! Personally i'd preferr option 1 for day 2 as i would love to take my 5 though the blue mountains.

Well then, that's Plan A :D .
Day 1: Brisbane-Texas-Warialda-Gunnedah
Day 2: Gunnedah-Mudgee-Lithgow-Jenolan-Oberon-Goulburn-Canberra

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Tue May 31, 2011 10:17 pm

Plan B. This is Plan A plus a twist or two worth taking according to Tony:

Day 1 as per Plan A. 640 km. Approx 8.0 hours plus stops. Easy day. http://tinyurl.com/4ywpz5p
Day 2: Gunnedah - Muswellbrook - Sandy Hollow - Bylong - Rylstone - Jenolan - Goulburn - Canberra. 740 km. Approx 9.6 hrs plus stops. A slightly longer Day 2 than Plan A. An early getaway from Gunnedah would make it comfortable.http://tinyurl.com/3no3mnc

JBT
Speed Racer

Postby JBT » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:43 am

So it's all over and we got back last night. What a trip :!: :D

Brisbane to Canberra. Two days with an overnight stop at Muswellbrook. Via Inglewood, Texas, Warialda, Kandos, Jenolan. Route --> http://g.co/maps/xuaa9.

Canberra to Brisbane. Three days with an overnight stop at Wollongong and Port Macquarie. Via Bundanoon, Kiama, Royal National Park, Toronto, Williamtown, Lake Cathie, Oxley Hwy, New England Hwy, Gwydir Hwy and Pacific Hwy. Route --> http://tinyurl.com/bpehnbl 820 km with heaps of twisty roads yesterday :!:

After travelling the routes above, plus all the runs around Canberra, plus the run to and track day at Wakefield Park, our little car ran up just on 3600 km over 9 days. Now I'd best get out and clean it up - better get started now if it's going to have any hope of a class Concours win in 2014. :mrgreen:

"Tough Guys" award goes to VSP90 and Mrs VSP90 for doing all the above with us - with a continuous folding hardtop warning beeper :shock: after a roof malfunction on Good Friday :!:

Return to “Natmeet”