What to look for buying an MX-5 - Which should I buy?

MX5, Miata and Eunos Cars For Sale

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

Okibi
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

What to look for buying an MX-5 - Which should I buy?

Postby Okibi » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:10 pm

If you had access to a car like this, would you take it back right away? Neither would I.

paueee
Learner Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Re: What to look for buying an MX-5 - Which should I buy?

Postby paueee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:56 am

G’day fellas,

Instead of starting a new thread, thought it’s better to just ask in this one.

I’m looking to get myself into a ‘16 or ‘17 soft top ND MX5 soon. Really excited actually!

Are there any specific things to look out for when inspecting the car? Any known gearbox issues? Common soft top wear and tear?

I would assume the engine is generally bulletproof given how strong the NA engines are still going strong. So Mazda knows how to make an engine reliable.

Also, during very hot days (35*c and above), can the airconditioning cope with the top up?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:11 am

Mazda Technical Service Bulletins will give you an idea of some issues: https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/
From what I hear there have been gearbox issues, but I don't know if that applies to both the 1.5 & 2 litre models, which raises the question of which motor you're going for. Also, initial reports were that the auto transmission compared really well the the manual, but I've not heard how that's gone in the longer term.

paueee
Learner Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby paueee » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:27 pm

93_Clubman wrote:Mazda Technical Service Bulletins will give you an idea of some issues: https://www.miata.net/garage/tsb/
From what I hear there have been gearbox issues, but I don't know if that applies to both the 1.5 & 2 litre models, which raises the question of which motor you're going for. Also, initial reports were that the auto transmission compared really well the the manual, but I've not heard how that's gone in the longer term.

Thanks for the info. I’m looking at the 2.0 Manual Soft top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YeahYeahYeah
Learner Driver
Vehicle: ND - 1.5

Postby YeahYeahYeah » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:54 pm

The A/C will cope. The 1.5L zings and is really rewarding as it revs. The early 2L doesn’t, 118kw vs the 135kw update.

Return to “MX5 Cars - For Sale”