** For Sale 1993 rod millen mx5 roadster **

MX5, Miata and Eunos Cars For Sale

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, The American, Lokiel, miata, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: ** For Sale 1993 rod millen mx5 roadster **

Postby 93_Clubman » Fri May 01, 2020 3:38 pm

93_Clubman wrote:Mazda MX-5 Miata: The book of the World's Favourite Sportscar 2006 book by Brian Long mentions the US Rod Millen offering on p95 in The MX-5 'Industry' chapter. It then says: 'The package was sold in Australia under the Racing Dynamics name.'
Mazda Miata MX-5 Performance Portfolio 1989-1997 book contains the Australian Modern Motor April 1991 four page article on the Racing Dynamics (headed by Rod Millen) MX-5.

The Racing Dynamics MX-5 NA that was the subject of the Australian Modern Motor April 1991 article was all cosmetic except for exhaust & suspension mods.

Australian Rod Millen kit was slightly different from the US Rod Millen kit, ie different wheels & tyres etc, & the car Modern Motor tested in Australia was red.

Australian Rod Millen kit comprised thicker front & rear sway bars (F: 25.4mm & R: 19.1mm) with adjustable end links & better end link bushings, & stiffer springs which lower front by 25mm & rear by 19mm. 15x7 Venette V5 wheels with Yokohama 008 195/50ZR15 tyres. Recaro Proffi seats & Momo Systima steering wheel - Momo leather gear knob was considered, but thought too big, so original retained. New two piece exhaust system, & of course body kit comprising: front lip spoiler, side skirts, deck cover, rear wheel arch extensions, rear spoiler & front Racing Dynamics badge).

Possibly has the Viscous LSD as opposed to the TorSen LSD.

Racing Dynamics built them - they left the Mazda factory as a standard NA6. Bob Roman of Roman Autotek were the importers of Racing Dynamics here. These weren't a Mazda factory special edition, which is why in Brian Long's 2006 book they are included in the later The MX-5 'Industry' chapter.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Clear as muddy water in a beer bottle ...

Postby greenMachine » Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 pm

So, it's not a 'Rod Millen' really, it is actually a 'Racing Dynamics mx5 Roadster'? Or maybe 'Rod Millen by Racing Dynamics MX5 Roadster'? That's got a catchy ring to it! 8)

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

KevGoat
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby KevGoat » Fri May 01, 2020 7:41 pm

Minus (according to the article) the wheels, Recaros and possibly the steering wheel (looks like stock Momo from photos). Wonder if it even has the suspension upgrades? Appears to be just the body kit, roof cover and a couple of signature stickers. It's all very confusing...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craig
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby Craig » Sat May 02, 2020 10:21 am

Okibi wrote:Missed you Craig :)

Still lurking the forums! :mrgreen:
*** Audi A5 Sportback - back in black! ***

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby Mr Morlock » Sun May 03, 2020 1:27 am

The book article may refer to a completely different car and the subject car was advertised as 1993. I still reckon it is a standard NA just fitted almost certainly by the dealer with a body kit. The VIN will tell the story but that's not forthcoming. The guy who posted it in the first place is not interested in giving out defining information.

Red_Bullet
Speed Racer

Postby Red_Bullet » Sun May 03, 2020 10:41 am

At least is provided a topic of debate while in lock down, very much worth it. 8)

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun May 03, 2020 12:36 pm

Mr Morlock wrote:The book article may refer to a completely different car and the subject
car was advertised as 1993.

I'm not saying that the MX5 advertised by coupekid is the one tested by Modern Motor - I'm
saying that Modern Motor tested a Rod Millen MX-5, the article of which appeared in their
April 1991 issue. The 1991 v 1993 discrepancy can be explained in a number of ways, which is still not to say that the MX5 advertised by coupekid was the one tested by Modern Motor in their April 1991 issue. Indeed, the Modern Motor tested Rod Millen MX-5 in the article has different wheels, & coupekid notes in his 2018 Gumtree ad, 'that dealer equipped 15" alloy mags' have been fitted.
Mr Morlock wrote:VIN will tell the story

The two Rod Millen MX-5s weren't produced by the Mazda factory, they were produced by Bob Roman of Roman Autotek, who were the Australian importers of Racing Dynamics, headed by Rod Millen, so the VIN may not be able identify the car as one of the two Rod Millen MX-5s, just as the VIN of an MX-5 SP will only identify it as an NB8 P2 aka NB8B:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41971&p=908450&hilit=SP%2A+VIN#p908450

bootz
Racing Driver

Postby bootz » Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 pm

93_Clubman wrote:
Mr Morlock wrote:The book article may refer to a completely different car and the subject
car was advertised as 1993.

I'm not saying that the MX5 advertised by coupekid is the one tested by Modern Motor - I'm
saying that Modern Motor tested a Rod Millen MX-5, the article of which appeared in their
April 1991 issue. The 1991 v 1993 discrepancy can be explained in a number of ways, which is still not to say that the MX5 advertised by coupekid was the one tested by Modern Motor in their April 1991 issue. Indeed, the Modern Motor tested Rod Millen MX-5 in the article has different wheels, & coupekid notes in his 2018 Gumtree ad, 'that dealer equipped 15" alloy mags' have been fitted.
Mr Morlock wrote:VIN will tell the story

The two Rod Millen MX-5s weren't produced by the Mazda factory, they were produced by Bob Roman of Roman Autotek, who were the Australian importers of Racing Dynamics, headed by Rod Millen, so the VIN may not be able identify the car as one of the two Rod Millen MX-5s, just as the VIN of an MX-5 SP will only identify it as an NB8 P2 aka NB8B:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41971&p=908450&hilit=SP%2A+VIN#p908450

Soooo this is actually interesting. If you owned or bought a SP and it had a shunt, you could buy a 2001 mx05 and transfer the engine and cosmetic bits and there would be no way of telling the car was not the original SP - $$$

So all I am looking for is written off SP and I can put it into my 2002 and register it as a genuine SP. Cackles fiendishly.. :lol:
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

yertimer
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby yertimer » Sun May 03, 2020 6:02 pm

You may be right Bootz.

The same was true for many old cars. I have owned a couple of Morris Cooper S's. They often had compliance plates missing - and mismatching parts from the factory. You can't beat British build quality. It can be really hard to tell a real one from a replica - not that there is any real difference anyway if all the modifications have been made. It is said that of the 7,000 Coopers made, 8,000 are still on the road!

Likewise how could anyone tell what was a real rod millen if there is no real difference aside from bodywork?

On the other hand I would love an SP. I don't know how many were made, but they would be a great drivers car, and something worth keeping.
NA8 94 Clubman

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Sun May 03, 2020 8:40 pm

They say that after all these years only 500 GTHOs remain. Factory produced only 300 or so...

Mr Morlock
Speed Racer

Postby Mr Morlock » Mon May 04, 2020 12:03 am

This is getting pretty silly. Mazda made Mx-5 nobody else. Cars can be modified of course. If it's a car imported by Mazda Aust it will meet the requirements required for ADRs etc. and a dealer arranging a body kit for show purposes or whatever has been done before. Bear in mind that if the car was sold new which is likely then it would be backed on warranty except for the body kit.

yertimer
Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby yertimer » Thu May 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Actually, I don't think it is silly at all. The OP is attempting to sell his car at a reasonably high price because it is purported to be some kind of rare version of a very popular car.
This a well worn path for popular cars as mentioned previously re Falcons, Minis, Holdens etc. However, the reality (usually) is that rarity in and of itself is not the sole reason for an everyday car price going up. It is often associated with the car being rare AND being full of good bits. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part this is where the GTHO, Cooper S, Brock Commodore and Valiant Charger come in.
This also where replicas come in - to try and increase a standard cars value. But, genuine special versions are worth more than copies. Paperwork and matching numbers become very important for most of those wanting such cars.
So...... if the OP wants a particularly high price for his car, the debate will focus on a number of factors.....Is it genuine? Is it special? And if it is, why it so special? And, why it is worth the extra money - does it come with lots of good bits? If it doesn't it probably won't get the high price requested.
To my reading this is exactly what most of the previous posts have been all about.
NA8 94 Clubman

bruce
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby bruce » Thu May 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Let's put this to bed and wait another 4 years when OP thinks it is worth $50K.

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

1993 Rod Millen MX5 $35k

Postby 93_Clubman » Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:19 am

Not mine etc - for sale again: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaid ... 1279093451
1993 Mazda MX-5 Rod Millen Roadster 1 of 2 made $35,000
1993 Mazda MX-5 Rod Millen Roadster Convertible.
Only 2 ever made for the Australian market.
1.6L fuel injected, 5 spd manual. Limited Slip Diff.
A one owner car from new & meticulously well looked after vehicle with only 60,000kms.
Factory issued 15" wheels, Momo wheel, glass rear window, alarm, car bra.
Comes with all log books etc.
Runs like new & a true collectors car & Real Head Turner!!
John, Exchange Place, Adelaide

bootz
Racing Driver

Postby bootz » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:52 pm

Lordy, not really chasing the car afficionados:

"Will also suit buyers of..
Camping paint exercise tools boat carpet tank compressor heater rug curtains furniture kitchen bathroom fence landscape gym collector cards bowser tins oil sign pump water table tennis soccer football fishing rods motor engine performance race kit dress puzzle puppys dog cat pet aquarium fire roof lounge vacuum sports hunting cards knitting kids games computer clothes washing machines baby pinball video tv record playing drum guitar cymbals horn shoes hats coat watch gold silver hose wall plant digger train yacht wood flooring vinyl rods reels bike wheel hair glasses toys flower ski jewellery air CD portable bowser mags net rope bbq grille pot plates fridges train lights necklace ring mobile phones entertainment brass statue jig saw light rings hair masks band seat fence garden roof cupboard cleaner restaurant shop display fishing truck work job office brushes gas cast van"

No wonder Gumtree searches are such a nightmare.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

Return to “MX5 Cars - For Sale”