Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, PUR157

tbro
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Tips on making some jobs easier

Postby tbro » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:10 am

Hi all,
Thought I'd share some odds and sods I picked up over the years,

1/ You know how bloody frustrating it is trying to use a multimeter, trying to hold a good earth with one hand and trying
to probe a power with the other, try this, bolt up an eyelet terminal that your earth probe will fit into and bolt up to a good close earth

2/ Sick of trying to make the probe fit into the back of the connector your trying to test, try this one, grab a bullet terminal, remove the
plastic cover, cut a paper clip to approx 25mm long and slide it into the front of the bullet,solder it in and now you have a proper probe
to back probe those connectors. A word of advise, go easy when feeding the probe into any connector especially ECUs, it very easy
to damage wiring if your hamfisted.

3/ The suspension bush tool, not something anyone can make at home but i thought I'll post anyway, materials req 60mm steampipe with a 52 mm i/d x 85mm long, washer to suit with a 10.5 center hole ( I used a hardened washer from a Hendricksen shocky) 10mm bolt 200mm long with a thread 100mm, can use booker rod with nut welded to one end, 10mm nut welded to a piece of heavy wall tube 110mm long and a nut head welded to the other end, you can skip this part and just use a 10mm nut and a deep wall socket. I have tried to make this as user friendly as possible. Weld with mig or stick weld washer to end of steampipe. To use, cut off rubber around the end of bush on the outer end of arm, fit outer sleeve and bolt through bush and screw on pull through end, tighten the long bolt while holding the end nut and bush will pull through the arm and Bobs your uncle!!!

4/ The bloody dash lights come on when I put the brakes on!!! this one is simple but catches many out. One of your stop light globes has blown a filament and dropped one side onto the park light filement. So when the apply power to the brake lamp the power shorts across the park lamp circuit powering it up. Check and change globe!!

If anything isn't clear PM me and I'll try and explain a bit better.

I'll post up some more as time goes by.

Terry
"Racing shouldn't be for rich idiots, but for all idiots"

corners
Racing Driver
Vehicle: ND - Supercharged

Tips on making some jobs easier

Postby corners » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:33 pm

As per usual very good tops from an experienced and wise enthusiast / mechanic / dodgy brother :P

Cheers
Steampunk wrote: Oh you've got Ohlins? You must like drugs too!!!

Return to “MX5 Technical Guides”