Re: MX-5 Wheel Alignment Specs..

Postby Nikki » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

apsilon wrote:Nothing revolutionary. I asked for:

Front:
4.5deg of caster
-2deg camber
0 toe

Rear:
Half a degree less than front (so if front reached the requested -2 then rear -1.5)
1.5mm of total toe in (0.75mm each side)

Wasn't able to get more than -1deg of camber in front for some reason. Everything else was spot on what I asked for. I'll look into it more in the new year, try a more reputable alignment place to make sure it wasn't the operator and/or calibration of the equipment as it looks to my eye to be a lot more than -1deg and if necessary order some extended lower ball joints in order to get more.

Hi, looking to get an alignment done for the first time on my first car.

Just wondering why u got 1.5mm toe in the rear when all the other posts recently seem to recommend 0 toe. What is the benefit/disadvantage?

apsilon
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby apsilon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:04 am

Mostly because I'm out of practice having dríven 4WDs a lot in the past decade. Toe in, in theory at least, will have slightly less tendency towards oversteer so should be a little safer. Alignment is also set when the car is standing still. In theory when the car is moving forward there's likely enough play in the suspension that drag will pull the tyres back out reducing toe in towards neutral toe. If you're already at neutral it could become toe out.

All theory and guess work and I'm far from an expert so don't take my actions as highly informed but I figured it couldn't hurt to have a small amount there.
'97 Neo Green limited edition

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:00 am

Toe in (static) on rear to contain snap oversteer on roll. Roll movement produces/increases toe out on the loaded wheel. So I believe.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

Return to “MX5 Technical Guides”