Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Which MX5 is best for me?

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:57 am

manga_blue
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NA8

Postby manga_blue » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:33 pm

Just a warning for those who are sourcing parts direct from Japan. People on places like yahoo.co.jp use a confusingly different system there:

AU...............Japan.....
NA6..............NA6CE
NA8..............NA8C
NB8A.............NB8C (that's the really tricky one that catches everyone out!)
NB8B.............NB8 NB2
NC1..............NCEC ???

Browse through this for examples: http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/20 ... 0jp&mode=1
’95 NA8

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:38 am

Vat
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Vat » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:39 am

Nice - have you got a bigger copy of that?

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:05 am

Not personally, but original poster might have.

T200
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby T200 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:54 pm

I read this on another post but can't find it....but is it correct that all the NB8A's in Australia have an open differential? Am I right in saying that I can purchase an aftermarket LSD and install it into the NB8A's stock diff housing?

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Only the 10th anniversary edition (10AE) had an lsd.
And yes, lots of options to lsd an nb.
Most people swap in JDM rear diff assemblies.
Have a search and see which option is best for you.
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

tomli123001
Forum sponsor
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby tomli123001 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:44 pm

ND now should be added
NA6-Rolled off Mt Nebo
NB SE-Sold for investment property deposit, then crashed by the buyer months later
Now Black NB SP #31.

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:10 pm

Ok, since no-one else has had a go:

ND - from late 2015 -

Adds over the last of the NCs:

Lower pricing - 1.5L Roadster manual under $36k drive away compared with $55k for the last of the NCs (adjusted for inflation it's the same price as an NA was in 89)
Weight back to nearer the NA - base model 1.5L ND is 1009kg - yet stiffer, stronger and safer and with more equipment
Size back to nearer the NA - 3,915 x 1,735 x 1,225
Skyactiv motors with 13:1 compression ratio for more torque
Availability of MZD big screen audio system with rotary controller, GPS, bluetooth streaming, USB etc (and reverse camera and/or sensors available as options)
Glovebox now between the seats with extra storage behind each seat
"Soft" top convertible only, with manual operation
Solid front portion of roof
Easier single handed roof operation
LED headlights
Electric assistance for the steering
Active bonnet - helps reduce injuries to suicidal pedestrians
Servicing, as with all Mazdas, now 10,000kms or 12 months whichever comes sooner
Boot will take 2 x regulation sized aircraft overhead locker cases

2 engine sizes - 1.5L with 96kW @ 7,000rpm, 150Nm @ 4,800rpm. 6.1L (manual)/6.4L (auto) per 100kms. 737/703kms per 45L tank.
2.0L with 118kW @ 6,000rpm, 200Nm @ 4,600rpm. 6.9L (manual)/7.1L (auto) per 100kms. 652/633kms per 45L tank.

1.5L likes revs if you're looking to make serious progress but will happily pull a higher than expected gear at low revs if you're taking it easy.
2.0L has 33% more torque and 23% more power so has more grunt again and at less revs, and has lower rev limit.
2.0L has bigger brakes.

Pros

Steering, handling, roadholding
As refined as an NC and as fun as an NA
Fully usable and perfectly comfortable as a daily driver
Accommodates a larger proportion of sizes and shapes of drivers
More gender-neutral styling than previous models
USA tuners are already all over it - brake, exhausts, intakes, ECU options already on the market
The cup holder that goes where a passenger's right knee would be is in exactly the right place for the driver
Only 2 seats

Cons

Only 2 seats
No LSD in auto
Its lower price had an immediate negative effect on the values of NCs
Still won't accommodate the largest and tallest people
Auto-blip of the throttle on start-up
Silly tube to make pretend induction noise (GT only)
The (removable) cup holders get in the way of gearchanges, and if you have a passenger, re-siting one of the cupholders by their right knee will annoy them within 5 minutes
If you're planning a trip across a desert in an MX-5 you might be upset that there's no spare wheel (or 4 wheel drive, or space for a bed, or external jerry can brackets, or provision for fitting a winch etc, etc)
The bulge in the transmission tunnel looks odd (but is actually not in the way, ever)
Some people say they dislike some of the styling
If you smoke you'll find the 12V socket doesn't handle the heat of a lighter, and is quite difficult to reach while you're driving
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

93_Clubman
Speed Racer

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:35 am

Great NC1 details from Luke, including some NC2 info:
Luke wrote:Somewhere in 06 all MX-5's got DSC as standard. Before that not available at all.
DSC is debatable in NC1's. NC2's are much better.
Personally I found the NC1 DSC to be the most unrefined system in any car I have dríven.
I really question how well Mazda calibrated it.
In normal on mode I find it activates under normal driving conditions with little to no provocation and pulls hard or kills off the power when it does. It doesn't always do what you hope it would.
The first stage off mode is better. Its more like a race mode though. It would allow a little bit of sliding.
It needed something in between for the normal mode.
Full off is awesome. It is actually off.
There are track guys that aim to make sure they got early cars without it at all. So 05's and early 06's.

Also, I gather you are looking at a soft top and not the hardtop roadster coupe???

There is actually 4 soft-top models from 05 to 09 for original NC1's.
You have the 2 normal ones worked out. Base = Cloth Trim. Top = Leather. The Touring name was introduced from late 06 to better distinguish the leather clad model. It may also be the same time they introduced that ugly brown interior option as well.
There is also 2 LE soft tops that were only sold as Manuals.
05 Release LE which had a lot of Shiny internal and external bits. Unique wheels. Only colours were Velocity Red or Brilliant Black with Red Leather Interior. Individually numbered out of 3500 worldwide. No DSC.
07 LE. Only in Three colours. Radiant Ebony(Unique to this model in Aus), Highland Green and Stormy Blue. Sand Beige Interior. Bilstein Shocks. BBS Forged Wheels. Unique Full Chrome headlights, blinkers and centre stop light. Only 110 sold here. Definitely has DSC. This model was sort of missed by the media as they were more interested in the hardtops fancy folding roof.

There is only 1 hardtop model for NC1's. Roadster Coupe, which is essentially a Soft top touring spec car with the hardtop roof.

You have to keep a keen eye to see LE soft top's for sale.
A lot of people either don't know they have a LE and list them as a normal MX-5 or list their normal MX-5 as a LE.
This applies to any model. A lot of hardtops are listed as soft-tops and visa versa.

The other good soft top choice is trying to find a NC2 base or Touring. These are hard to come by as most bought Hardtops by this point in time. They were sold from 09 to 11 before being dropped due to poor sales.
The most annoying this Mazda did was not offering the NC2 soft top with the Recaro Seats and BBS rims like they did for the Hardtops. :cry:

Return to “MX5 Technical Guides”