Technical Guidance for doing those Tricky Jobs

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, PUR157

meta
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

NEED help How to remove the tie rod?

Postby meta » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

Basically, i've had a crash and i'm in the process of removing the broken parts, however, one of the dilemmas i have now is the tie rod, which, unfortunately is the last piece that needs to be removed! :twisted:

Anyway, i have an NA6...don't know if that makes any differences, from what i can tell, the rod pivots on a ball joint which is connect to the steering rack thing?
I can see a nut type of thing which kinda of looks like a locking nut? I'm not sure, my point is, we can't get the damn thing off! lol, if there is a guide online or anyone can give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks meta
Red is best

kazjim
Fast Driver

Postby kazjim » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:04 pm

hey Meta (Funny, thats my Granny's name!)

You will need a tool called a "tie rod splitter" - also called a "Ball joint Splitter"

There are really two types - the simple

and the good

The first type gets 'bashed' into the joint and forces it apart .... can sometimes bend other stuff ...

The second type is pushed into place and then the nut turned ... eventualy the joint 'pops' and you can take everything apart ...

The reason the joint holds on so well is a perfectly matched set of tapers ... one that is about 1/8' different .. so that they 'lock' together ...they are designed not to come apart !!

Update your location in your profile and maybe a member near you can help out....in fact, if you are near the Central Coast, NSW i have the second type sitting in a toolbox here right now ...

Cheers
J
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour ... you're gonna see some serious s**t.

meta
Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby meta » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi there J,

thanks for the reply, that helps to clear things up alot :D , thanks very much mate, unfortunately, i'm located in newcastle, though if i could borrow/rent it off you for one afternoon, i'd be more than happy to travel your way to grab it, but yes, thanks heaps mate, i really appreciate the feedback

and lol for the granny comment, didn't think they'd be another meta lol
Red is best

kazjim
Fast Driver

Postby kazjim » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:51 pm

Hey No problem, I'm in Wyoming, just north of Gosford.

Yep, My granny's name is Meta - she's Irish and its short for Martha ...

I'll actually be heading up to Newy on Sunday. taking the kids to see the princesses on ice ! (11AM)

PM me your details and I'll bring it with me...

Cheers
J
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour ... you're gonna see some serious s**t.

Return to “MX5 Technical Guides”