Wheels in air vents- How to

Technical Guidance for doing those Tricky Jobs

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, PUR157

ED_MX5
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Wheels in air vents- How to

Postby ED_MX5 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Just did this today, thought I might do a quick write up as I could not find anything on here on how to do it. It has been done many times, you can find many more guides on other forums.
This is just one for people on here on how I did it.

It just so happens that 1/10th scale RC wheels are almost an exact fit in the air vents.
So just jump on EBAY and find something you like, preferably with tyres (I'll explain why in a sec).

Tools:
-Screwdriver
-Two old credit cards or similar
-Beer

Now, to remove the air vents from the dash, have a swig of beer and then insert an old plastic credit card or similar around the edge of the vent. It will be pretty tight to get in there. Wiggle it around until you can get it down one side of it (approx. 9 and 3 o'clock position) and push in, you should here a click. The click is the catch on the air vent releasing. now, use the other card, and wedge it just beside where the current one is. This is to prevent the side you just did clicking back into place while you do the other side. So after it's nicely wedged in, move your other card to the other side and move around until it clicks again and the vent will just pop out.
Sorry, didn't take any photos of this process.

Repeat process with all of them.

When all the vents are out, you will see the little tabs

Press and release these, they can be stubborn but they will come out with some enthusiasm.

After the dress ring pops off, you have access to the ball vent. This will just push out from the back pretty easily.

Now, have a good swig of beer.... and another.
Ok, grab your new wheel vent. match it up with the dress ring, you will notice a small ridge on the inside of the dress ring. My wheels just happened to be perfect size and just clicked into that ring with a little push. You may have to sand the outer edge of your wheel to make it click into the same hole. But don't do it too much, you want it tight because its a free way of making sure it does not go anywhere with out using adhesives.

Now, the reason for buying tyres with the wheels. Most wheels come with a little bit of foam inside the tyre to give it some structure when being used on rc cars. So pull off the tyre, remove the foam inner layer and place foam over the back of the new vent. Like this.

Then tuck the front edge of the foam into the dress ring, this make sure that the wheel stays centred. Even though the rim is clicked in, it can sit off centre, the foam just adds packing.
It should end up like this.

Now insert the trim ring with wheel in it into the casing.

Use your screwdriver to help tuck the foam in, then when all the way down, the dress ring will just click back into place.

Then walk outside, clip them back into place.
Now you have some unique air vents.
Mine look like this

Now enjoy your new vents.
-PRAISE THE LOWERED-

Magpie
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Wheels in air vents- How to

Postby Magpie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:54 pm

Very nice!

ED_MX5
Fast Driver

Postby ED_MX5 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Cheers mate, I'm happy with it.
Next is to paint the centre console white.
-PRAISE THE LOWERED-

Dundy2456

Postby Dundy2456 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:10 pm

They look great! Can you still rotate the wheels? Obviously wouldn't affect airflow direction.. purely for OCD :)

ED_MX5
Fast Driver

Postby ED_MX5 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:13 pm

The wheels will rotate so you can have them all look the same.
Yes I am ocd too, I noticed they were not aligned after photo and sat the for 5 minutes making sure they were all the same.
If your referring to still moving like factory, not at the moment. I didn't see the need for mine to move. The direction they face is fine for me.
-PRAISE THE LOWERED-

Dundy2456

Postby Dundy2456 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Nah, I meant just turning the wheel, not OEM movement.. but good to know

meanmx
Racing Driver

Postby meanmx » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:00 pm

Looks great and it looks different. Well done.
2014 VW Mk7 Golf R
2001 Black NB8B viewtopic.php?f=57&t=58136
1986 Mazda Luce Royal Classic (13BT Mazda 929)

ED_MX5
Fast Driver

Postby ED_MX5 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks MEANMX, I'm happy I did it. I have been trying to think of something different.
It's so easy too, and only $10 from ebay including shipping.
-PRAISE THE LOWERED-

Return to “MX5 Technical Guides”