Cleaning Power Window Rails

Technical Guidance for doing those Tricky Jobs

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata, PUR157

Cus
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Cleaning Power Window Rails

Postby Cus » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:10 pm

I decided to make a video, because I'm a "Learn by Doing" kind of person, and I want to know how to make videos. It's definitely a first attempt. But also, a good visual run-down of the process, so here it is:

"How to dissassemble, clean and reassemble power window mechanisms on an MX5"

Before (left) / After (right):

The actual "tutorial":

The best nugget of information in the video isn't actually in the video, and that is when you're putting the rails back in, don't do the bolts up tight until the window is in - then tighten the top bolts while the window is up, and the bottom bolts while the window is down, and it'll line up the window rails correctly. If you don't the motor needs to push or pull the rails slightly as the window moves, creating stupidly slow windows.

Oh, and put the window up to the top carefully (it can over-run and smash into it's own mechanism) and then tighten the end-stops at the top, where they were is probably not where they should be (the rubber ends up indented from years of having a window stopepr smashed into it)

Next step is to learn how to do over-dubs, and/or record audio outside without the wind ruining minutes of dialogue at a time.

Return to “MX5 Technical Guides”