URGENT HELP! WATER LEAKS! (not roof)

Technical Guides primarily to do with the NA series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Mr nanotech
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby Mr nanotech » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Just infront the right rear wheel arch there is a run off tube coming from the body of the car. That tube connects into another one. Well the problem I have is that the one visible underneath has come out from the tube it connects up to. How the hell do I get it back on there??? It's not just a matter of pushing it up and *click*.. I can't see anything once the tube goes in the hole.
ANd this is a real problem because I need to have the hard top on 24/7 now because without it, water will drain into the body of my car and I can hear it sloshing around when I'm driving. The water is gone now and I've had the hard top on the past month but I cannot work out how the hell I'm suppose to fix this and I'm at the end of my tether here. I don't want to have to keep driving with the hard top on because weather is too good now!!!

I know this is where the problem is, but I just can't see a way to fix it. I was thinking if I put a wire or a small tube up through that drain hole right up to the pipe inside and then thread the one I want to fit into it, over the wire and follow it up. But you can hardly see anything up there so it makes it damn hard to even do that!

*******************EDIT******************************
Fixed the problem so false alarm, but i'm not going to make this thread entirely useless.
This how I fixed it:
I pulled out the drain pipe from under the car after first taking out the gromet securing it in place.
I was looking around the parcel shelf to discover a drain under the carpet at the far corners. You can only really get to those drains with the roof up so it was quite awkward.
I had some old rubber tubes lying about the garage so I cut the end of a a coat hanger, straightened it out and threaded it through the tube so I had a solid rod with soft rubber sides (so as not to damage the inside of the drain). I threaded this through from the top until the end came out the bottom of the car (the hole left after taking out the drain).
Then it was just a matter of threading the drain tube over the coat hanger I'd put down there and following it up to the top where I managed to push it back into place.
Although this is easier said than done, as you are working completely blind and have to feel your way through the whole thing.
Lastly I used an old beer bottle filled with water and poured it down the top drain to double check if the water would find it's way to the ground now.

I know this is a little convoluted and not the best description (i'm heading out now and am a little strapped for time!) but I hope it helps anyone with similar problems!!!!
Okibi wrote:Abusing Police because of a few corrupt or power hungry idiots is like calling all car enthusiasts hoons. :roll:

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 am

nanotech wrote:And this is a real problem because I need to have the hard top on 24/7 now because without it, water will drain into the body of my car and I can hear it sloshing around when I'm driving. The water is gone now and I've had the hard top on the past month but I cannot work out how the hell I'm suppose to fix this and I'm at the end of my tether here.

Water sloshing around inside the doors of the NA6 is reasonably common - it drains eventually & leaves a tide mark on door speakers if fitted.

johno

Re: URGENT HELP! WATER LEAKS! (not roof)

Postby johno » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

removing water from inside panels

Can anyone help me with the process for removing water trapped inside panels. I know there are some drain pipes somewhere that have to be cleared. Thanks johno

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: URGENT HELP! WATER LEAKS! (not roof)

Postby 93_Clubman » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:58 am

johno wrote:removing water from inside panels

Can anyone help me with the process for removing water trapped inside panels. I know there are some drain pipes somewhere that have to be cleared. Thanks johno

There are two drain pipes, one either side of the car exiting under the vehicle just ahead of the rear wheels, which drain water which falls onto the soft-top, but for water trapped in panels see here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=45630

Water also sometimes gets trapped inside the doors, either because drain holes get blocked or they get covered by the nearby rubber seal, but opening the door solves this until next time.

Return to “NA [1989 - 1997]”