Technical Guides primarily to do with the NA series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

tbro
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Making up a COPS system NA 1.6

Postby tbro » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Hey all,
Built one of these so decided to post up info for your benefit.
Part nos Coil on plug ZZFE toyota P/N#90080 19015 or 90919 02239, got mine new from ebay us from http://www.powerprousa.com $170 US Delivered.
Part no# 90980 11885 http://www.bsmotorsports.com kit # conn 75727 connectors, seals and plug 4 req, 6.99 each $US + del. Make up your own harness.
2 metres X 5 core wiring as used in trailer wiring.
A few bolts 6mm x50mm.
wired up, sorta looks pretty, this is my dyno rocker so easy cam gear adjustment!! :D :D
Imageto hold the coils down,drilled and tapped, studs have head removed and then locktite to stop them coming out. Fit 6mm nutserts to make strong and gives the correct height for the cops.
How it looks finished.

Wiring up.Looking at cop L to R, terminals
1=ground
2=trigger
3=tacho
4=12v power

Ignitor harness at the ignitor on the r/h guard, I didn't cut the plug off I just spliced and soldered into the back of the plug. This way if I want I can still run std system Why I don't know!!!!
Looking at the plug from wire end.
white= ignore it we don't use it.
Brown/yellow= to trigger coils 1&4
Blue= power to all coils
yellow/blue=Tacho
Black/white= connect to yellow/blue
Black= earth to all coils
Brown=to trigger coils 2&3
red= ignore.

Now if you fail you can try http://www.miataturbo.net for more info or pm me or if your in Brissy I'll guide you along.

Now Why COPS. simple if your going turbo saves blowing out the spark caused by a underpowered outdated inadquate system. Non turbo no more failed coil packs that are sh*t even when new and cost a bloody fortune when you can get them. I've had 2 s/h and one new one in 2 years!!!!
Does it make a difference to how the car goes, welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Flower yeh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So all up about 10hrs on the net (but I done that for ya) A$250 plus wiring and a few odds and sods say $300 and 4hrs wiring and all finished. A lot cheaper than kits avail and parts are easy to obtain.

Terry
"Racing shouldn't be for rich idiots, but for all idiots"

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: Making up a COPS system NA 1.6

Postby 93_Clubman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:09 am

Great post Terry - tks for sharing! Also rids you of troublesome plug leads.

greenMachine
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby greenMachine » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:00 pm

Good writeup Terry, and that link for the plugs is gold!

I got mine secondhand ($90 from a wrecker), but no plugs - wreckers not interested in selling a bit of a harness, they must be in big demand? Fortunately the guys in the Toyota dealership across the road were just taking off a wiring harness to replace it, and for a slab it came my way. Your link is a lot more reliable than sitting outside Toyota service dept with a begging bowl.

I made up an adapter plate to mount the COPs, but your way is better, and easier.

:mrgreen:
I never met a horsepower I didn't like (thanks bwob)

Build thread

NB SE - gone to the dark side (and loving it 8) )

CapitalF
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby CapitalF » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Terry,

U r a legend - this a job Ive wanted to do for quite a while but not been confident enough to do so on my own. I usually leave anything electrical to others.

Any chance you got the second link wrong? At the moment I get a page suggesting that domain is for sale? Maybe BS Motorsports just forgot to renew their domain or perhaps your good deal put them out of business? :D

Cheers,

Peter
90 Silver Roadster 1.6 + GT2554, large IC, MS-PNP, lightened flywheel, HD Clutch, 2.5" exh, Teins, Whiteline, etc etc

timk
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby timk » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:23 pm

I think the site you mean is http://www.bmotorsports.com/ but I could be wrong. :)

While on that site, grab some of that high temp braided sleeving to make the loom look/last like OEM. :)

CapitalF
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Postby CapitalF » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:13 pm

Ah yes, I should have known the original wouldn't be bs. It's from Terry after all. ;-)

Thx
Peter
90 Silver Roadster 1.6 + GT2554, large IC, MS-PNP, lightened flywheel, HD Clutch, 2.5" exh, Teins, Whiteline, etc etc

tbro
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Postby tbro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey all,
An update on supplier, now it's abcmarts on ebay or try http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com
"Racing shouldn't be for rich idiots, but for all idiots"

Return to “NA [1989 - 1997]”