Had car issues this afternoon, seeking help!

Technical Guides primarily to do with the NA series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Forshaw
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Had car issues this afternoon, seeking help!

Postby Forshaw » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Not sure if I'm in the appropriate thread, sorry in advance but I'm desperate for some help/ advice within the next 24 hours.

So I was driving on the motorway this afternoon, head unit starts to die an I'm just thinking, oh maybe this ones had it.. A few minutes later I try winding up my window, it ended up winding up ridiculously slow.
Winding it back down again and the car begins to lose power and eventually cut out and die.
Pulled over, tried to turn it over but nothing, all electrics were failing, such as the horn, pop-up lights etc.
I checked the interior lights to see if any had been left on and I noticed the divers side interior light was switched on but I've thought nothing of it as it hadn't been working in the first place.
I'm guessing this being on caused the battery to die.

Got a jump start from the family and got it home, but what I'm wanting to know is if its just the battery or is it something more major like the alternator?
I just don't understand why it decided to die as I was driving (for roughly an hour) and didn't experience any troubles until then?

Thanks for any help in advance! Much appreciated.
Form is within the function.

Dweezle
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA6

Re: Had car issues this afternoon, seeking help!

Postby Dweezle » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Sounds like the alternator has had it.
chuck a multimeter on the battery and see what voltage you are getting with the car off and then with it running.

Could also he as simple as the alternator/water pump pulley belt is slipping.
Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
ALL MUSCLE CARS ARE CRAP
Jeremy Clarkson

except of course, the Almighty VIPER!!!! 8)

RedMX
Fast Driver
Vehicle: Non MX-5

Postby RedMX » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:59 am

Dweezle wrote:Sounds like the alternator has had it.
chuck a multimeter on the battery and see what voltage you are getting with the car off and then with it running.

Could also he as simple as the alternator/water pump pulley belt is slipping.
Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Could be the simple thing of the alternator belt as Dweezle has said....
My car had the exact same symptoms as that when the alternator finally bitten the bullet. There is a couple of directions can be taken with this issue if the alternator has finally died.

1. Rebuild the alternator can be as simple as brushes, bearings & a voltage regulator (most auto electricians will do this unless the unit is beyond repair)

2. Replace the alternator with a 2nd hand unit. (can get you out of trouble for 6-12mths or another 10 years) but that's the joys of used parts.

3. Brand new unit can also be purchased. Witch is the option I chose as I could not get a used unit as that I needed the car straight away as my car is my daily driver.

It's highly unlikely the battery would have failed whilst driving the car but it could be 1 in 100,000 chance it could have, I have never seen it happen yet.

~Cheers Gareth

Forshaw
Fast Driver

Postby Forshaw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Thanks Gareth, it seems to be the alternator, replaced the battery out of piece of mind/ to get home. (Parents paid for it so I wasn't going to say no.)

Going to check the ground and see if that's causing the problem, the belt looks new and is not showing signs of it slipping or it being loose.

Forshaw
Fast Driver

Postby Forshaw » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Looks as If its covered by warranty, find out tomorrow. :)

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Hahaha, just by coincidence I came across this - I remember talking to you about it but I never got the symptoms off of you.

My car has been doing this since I got the damn thing, I've been meaning to replace the alternator but I'll check the belt first now :D
Silver NA6 - [MXV092] - "Scarlett the Pinkbits Warrior" - Join us @ Stance Potato Racing - Non-Pretentious Car Culture!

Forshaw
Fast Driver

Postby Forshaw » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 am

If I still had my old one I'd give it to you so you could even recondition it, I only got a new one because it was free haha

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:18 pm

The baby had a check up with the boys at mx5plus today, alternator is fine...time to start looking elsewhere :( haha.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2
Silver NA6 - [MXV092] - "Scarlett the Pinkbits Warrior" - Join us @ Stance Potato Racing - Non-Pretentious Car Culture!

Forshaw
Fast Driver

Postby Forshaw » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:22 am

I'm wanting to go In for my 140k service for my warranty, would you know of prices off the top of your head? From mx5plus

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:34 am

I got charged $350, but I had a bit of work needed to do.

I believe general service starts at $165ish, give em' a call - they're super helpful! And you know your baby will be in good hands :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

zero00
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby zero00 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:21 pm

Also, a battery that has been fine can all of a sudden drop a cell - same as many replace a battery only to find later it was the alternator not charging!

Pays to know an auto electrician!!
Roger D-SUNSHINE COAST
2000 NB8A-LP 69.1248|QR Clubman 71.9235|QR Sprint 68.1412
1989 NA6 B-SPEC #77|Toyota GTS86 MT

CaptainNate
Racing Driver

Postby CaptainNate » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:14 pm

I think Ill check the cd player first, its super dodgy wiring so I might pull it out and clean it up a bit. Its only the cd player that turns off randomly.

Sent from the land of the sheep.

Return to “NA [1989 - 1997]”