The Idiots guide to replacing a stereo in the NB8B

Technical Guides primarily to do with the NB series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

wun911
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby wun911 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:26 pm

Nice write up..

Did you get new speakers aswell? If you do can you do an idiots guide for that too?
every ounce counts

sabretooth
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8 - Turbo

Postby sabretooth » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Great writeup!

Incognito
Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Re:

Postby Incognito » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:17 am

Alf wrote:Nice write-up and pics, but are you sure part 1 is neccessary. I seem to remember from my NB8A that I didn't take out the console.

I'm doing an install this w/e and I've just pried off the two long covers of which you write with a plastic butter knife, without removing the console or the surround, and it looks like the OEM H/U will slide out without interference.

Will let you know how it goes.

Yep, you can do it that way and save yourself some time. I ended up running a cable along the transmission tunnel for a mp3 player in the centre console.

Alf wrote:Yepp, had the old one out, tried the fit of a new HU, and put the new one back in in under 10 minutes. Made the tools to depress the springy thingies out of 4 bits of bent wire coathanger, perfect. All without pulling out the console.

Pulling the glove box out provides easy access to the rear of the unit (for a double jointed, anorexic piano player).

I did remove the glove box, dead simple (forgot to take photos), and it helps a lot when putting it all together again.

wun911 wrote:Nice write up..

Did you get new speakers as well? If you do can you do an idiots guide for that too?

Haven't got speakers yet, but may go down that path in the near future.
The answer to the question of Life, the Universe and Everything is not 42..... it is MX5.

Nark

The Idiots guide to replacing a stereo in the NB8B

Postby Nark » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:00 pm

Thanks for the write up, Incognito.

Just some feedback, perhaps mention the fact that the clip has to be pushed inward and not outward.

I thought it was outward so when I pulled the head unit out, the clip bent outward and jammed the whole thing in.

I had to use a crowbar and brute force to pull the thing out. :(

This is the clip that needs to be pushed in to release the head unit.

This is what happens when you push the clip outward and need to rip the whole thing out with a crowbar.

bigdog
King of the kennel

Re: The Idiots guide to replacing a stereo in the NB8B

Postby bigdog » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!

Before you attempt this REMOVE THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE

Failure to do this may cause havoc, as I found out the hard way :oops:

I have lost my remote locking and changed the ECU settings by simply trying to remove the head unit. Will post the solution to this problem once I have it, but all my fuses are intact, and i can't find anything else wrong. My head unit wouldn't budge, so I don't have anything positive to show for my efforts either...
Marvin - '02 Silver SP - BD, PSS9, Guru, Build #62 Cardomain

Locutus
Racing Driver

Postby Locutus » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:24 pm

Nark wrote:This is what happens when you push the clip outward and need to rip the whole thing out with a crowbar.

i got mine stuck as well, but finally managed to pull the headunit out without resorting to brute force.

for the benefit of others, if your clips aren't releasing (or if you've fubared them), remove your centre console, then remove the trim around the centre console. this exposes a small slot/cutaway halfway up the side of the headunit - poke a screwdriver in there and push the clips inward to release.

de Bounce
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby de Bounce » Sat May 21, 2011 7:10 pm

Just replaced my audio unit in my NB8B and thought I would share some more photo's that may help.

For starters, if you are using the standard frame for the replacement head unit and a push-in pocket, you don't need to remove the centre consul and trim - unless you cant get the damn radio out.

To make it easier to pull the radio, removing the panel under the station pre-set buttons will gives you something to grip, it pops out with a little persuasion.
Yes the radio is out but would have been nice to know before I got it out.

I don't know what coat hangers people are using but I couldn't get them to hold back the clips, the wire just bent.
I used a small screw driver to pull the clips back a little then used some nails the same diameter as the holes.
They are all one big clip so pulling the top in allows the nail to be inserted into the middle then top and bottom.
You only need 3 nails per side.

The wiring harness I used was for a 2001 to 2005 MX5 to DIN as my head unit uses the DIN connections making it a simple plug-n-play.

Mazda also ties some of the aerial lead to the back of the frame on the glovebox (left) side. Unclip or cut the tape frees more cable and makes the install easier.

Job done :lol: :beer:

I'm not very happy with the plastic pocket, I'll see how it goes and I might replace it with the kit listed by incognito.
2011 NC2 PRHT SE in Dolphin Grey
2001 NB8B in Crystal Blue - Sold :(
Motorkhana Video

sliq
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - 2 GT

Postby sliq » Thu May 26, 2011 10:48 am

hi de bounce.

see this thread here on clubroadster.net

http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/sh ... hp?t=24054

the brand is kanatech. it's a bit expensive for a fascia kit, but it holds the head unit in very securely, plus the din pocket has a flap on it so you can close it (judging by the packaging and the photo).

hope that helps.
i can't brain today.. i have the dumb..

de Bounce
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NC

Postby de Bounce » Thu May 26, 2011 10:51 pm

sliq wrote:hi de bounce.

see this thread here on clubroadster.net

http://www.clubroadster.net/vb_forum/sh ... hp?t=24054

the brand is kanatech. it's a bit expensive for a fascia kit, but it holds the head unit in very securely, plus the din pocket has a flap on it so you can close it (judging by the packaging and the photo).

hope that helps.

Great find slig
I'll give my setup a try until it annoys me, then I'll get one of the Kanatech kits.
A little expensive but looks like an excellent kit.
When/if I do I'll add a write-up here.
2011 NC2 PRHT SE in Dolphin Grey
2001 NB8B in Crystal Blue - Sold :(
Motorkhana Video

aviper4u
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby aviper4u » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:55 pm

where does everyone get these fascia kits from anyways ebay is empty and ryda etc dont seem to have ones for mx (nb) years OR do those universal ones workout ok?
Can you remember your first drive?

Tallorder
Driver

Postby Tallorder » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:08 pm

If only it was this simple...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQT_YBBpN4E

After seeing this I bought a set of awls, and though they proved handy I was nowhere near as lucky as this guy. In the end I noticed I had a set of Din remover rings in a box of an older stereo I had lying around, but again, it didn't turn out easy when it came to sliding into the holes and unclipping the strereo from the cage. I actually managed to release the passenger side, but the drivers didn't want to budge, and then in attempting to realign the stereo again for a second go, some thing just jammed. So I ended up here to see if I there were any other ways of getting it out.

Debounces tip was good regarding removing the glove box, then taking a look on how to get access to those clips correctly from inside the footwell. Pictures to follow...

Tallorder
Driver

Postby Tallorder » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:38 pm

After removing the glovebox by squeezing out the lugs, I could take a look how these damn brackets were hanging on. These things are pretty strong with a good amount of travel keeping them clipped in like springs. Here's the view from the footwell looking out toward the back of the car.

You can see the chunky D-shaped clips screwed to the main body of the factory stereo. When I tried insert awls, or the Din ring removers I could see they were simply sliding in between the clips and the stereo itself, rather than on the outside of the clips, so that you can then push them in to pull them away from the housing. Basically you're normally pulling on the rings outward, which are pivoting against the clips and pushing them inward, unlocking them. Easier said than done when facing the holes from the seats.

In the end I pushed against the clips with a flat headed screwdriver from the footwell, pushing them down and allowing your din removers, awls or in this case nails to slide in on the outside of the clips. Even this was a tight squeeze, and it's just so much easier to slide them in between stereo and clip which you don't want.

Here's the nails all in, the bottom one seemed the toughest to get on the outside.

You'll note the scratches left by my screwdriver trying to get leverage.

After that it was the same deal on the other side, though access is even more limited with the steering wheel in the way. I ended up removing the trim piece underneath the wheel, then when I still couldn't quite get my 6' 3"+ frame crammed in, I ended up unbolting the drivers seat, lifting the roof, and giving my neighbours something to laugh about as I contorted into my footwell lying on my back with legs akimbo over the windblocker!

Due to the poor access compared to the passenger side the clip releasing was a lot harder, as it was just a PITA to get any sort of leverage against clips to close them and make room for the nails. However persistence pays off and the unit came loose and lifted out pretty nicely after that. For my efforts I found behind the factory stereo a still sealed Simpsons Tazo (swap you for one with Moe on it!) and of all things a suspect looking chicken bone, well I think it was chicken......Mmmmm c-h-i-c-k-e-n.

After all that I managed to make a good fit for this Alpine unit I'd bought a while back. The cage was not the most strudiest or tightest I've used before, but the fascia panel provided a good finish.

dinknjim
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby dinknjim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:30 pm

did anyone else not use the wiring harness? If so, how did u treat the 2 interior lights wires?

dinknjim
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby dinknjim » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:48 pm

dinknjim wrote:did anyone else not use the wiring harness? If so, how did u treat the 2 interior lights wires?

Problem solved, red/blk wire goes to h/u, and the grey/blk wire need to be earthed.

AntHarmer
Fast Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Postby AntHarmer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:35 pm

The double din Alpine unit looks really good. Has an OEM look about it

Return to “NB [1998 - 2005]”