Cleaning Your EGR Valve

Technical Guides primarily to do with the NB series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Alex
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Cleaning Your EGR Valve

Postby Alex » Sat May 23, 2009 7:39 am

I've been doing a bit of searching regarding SE's and came across this, thought it would be a great addition to the guides (which really should be used more).

It is applicable to all NB's.

Taken from here
Spoolin wrote:Tools Required:
Philips head screw driver.
12mm socket, and rachet.
Can of Carb Cleaner
Lubricating oil.

1. First off this is what you want to look for.. You will find it on the back of the intake plenum. It's your EGR valve.

2. Next lets remove the two 12mm bolts that attach this to the intake plenum.. First bolt.

3. Second bolt..

4. Once you have the EGR valve off, keep track of the bolts and metal gasket by re-inserting them in the plenum.

5. Now this little valve can be the source of many idle stability, and starting issues if not regularly cleaned.

6. Now we don't want to just start drowning this valve in carb cleaner yet.. because there is a electronic solenoid thingy attached and we don't want to damage it.. because that would be bad.
So lets pull out the philips screw driver ( make sure is kinda stout at the tip because otherwise you will strip the screws) and get to work.

7. There are a total of four screw that you will need to remove.

8. Once all the screw are out the solenoid section should easily remove from the valve section.

9. The valve operates like so..
When it's closed (or supposed to be):

Here is the open position.. Notice all the carbon built up around the valve. If enough carbon were to build up on this valve and impede its ability to close my engine would be sucking up alot of exhaust all the time.

10. Since the valve section is all mechanical you can feel free to dowse it with your favorite variant of carb cleaner.
**No Pic intended**

11. Once clean use the lubricating oil on the valve shaft so that it slides smooth and easily when you press on the spring.
**No Pic intended**

12. Upon reassembly don't make the mistake I made and face the solenoid the wrong direction.. I sat there for a good 10 minutes wondering why the EGR valve did not fit back onto the intake..

This IS WRONG!! DONT DO THIS! (Refer to the first image for the correct
orientation)

13. Re-install to intake plenum in reverse order and enjoy.

Hope noone minds if I start quoting them with info I think should be kept here for further reference, saves filtering through all the posts when doing a search.
Red NB8A - BD rollbar - Hardtop

22Silver
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: Cleaning Your EGR Valve

Postby 22Silver » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:13 am

Could you use petrol to clean it?
"Don't go crashing into Vulvas. *Volvos"

emily_mx5
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Cleaning Your EGR Valve