Technical Guides primarily to do with the NB series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

BISCUITS
Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

SE GT28/60RS build wrapping up..

Postby BISCUITS » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:56 am

Hi fellow MX5-manians..
My SE - forged internals, GT28/60RS, Vipec, AVO intercooler, etc build just needs a few issues / things wrapped up.
- need to confirm the genuine 108kPa 16psi radiator cap is the correct pressure for my SE
- need some info please regarding a good fuel surge tank / pump set up; because anything less than 2/3 tank of fuel when the go pedal is planted results in sucking in air when fuel slushes to the back of the tank.
- going to upgrade coils to Yaris or LS1 style soon; or what ever MX5 Mania and / or you guys recommend..
- clutch is a brand new NPC unit but in the process of needing to get upgraded
First dyno run gave good numbers but i just need the above sorted once and for all to ensure reliability and finish off this little project.
Thanks in advance for your responses to my queries above peoples..
Owned a: Mariner blue NA/tan interior, white NA/hardtop, red 1993 LE/Raptor Supercharger, black 1998 NB, red Clubman/hardtop, silver SP, now an SE.

Alex 2550
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Re: SE GT28/60RS build wrapping up..

Postby Alex 2550 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Hey Biscuits,
i wont be a huge amount of help here but i just picked up a set of toyota coils off a low KM 2002 corolla, genuine denso PN 90080-19015 so off a 1zzfe, 2000-2008 Toyota Corolla,
2000-2005 Toyota MR2, 2000-2005 Toyota Celica. i got them for $90 delivered for the set of 4 from the USA. Brand new can be had for $69 each off ebay and possibly cheaper from Amayama.
Plugs i got from Ebay seller was: pantherecu Description was: Toyota Coil Plugs Camry Echo Yaris Corolla Aurion 1NZFE 1ZZFE 2AZFE 2GRFE Price was: $6.95ea so $27.80 for 4.
here is a good write up on cops here http://www.miataturbo.net/useful-saved- ... eup-12704/ including dwell ect for aftermarket ECU and a list of other Denso coils that work, from all reports i have read or been told by people with experience genuine second hand are more reliable than new aftermarket (cheap chinese?).
i think they look neater than LS coils but the LS ones probably have more "sting" however in saying that the Toyota ones have been used for years on our cars and proved they do the job and brackets are easy to make for them or cheap to buy where i think LS is a little harder to mount but i haven't researched a whole heap on them.

also for your other questions FM sell 15psi caps with radiators, Mazdaspeed caps are around 18.5psi so i would guess your 16psi would be fine i think if in good operating order, i use the tridon performance cap but cant remember pressure and im not near my car but sure i went standard on it (NA8).
Fuel i cant help with as i haven't need it on the MX-5 but i ran twin 044's with surge tank on my S5 RX-7 and they were very loud but also mounted in the boot so essentially the cabin and a Walbro in my WRX which was great.
with clutch it might be worth talking to NPC about an uprated clutch they seem pretty good as i have been speaking to them recently, im about to fit one of there Isuzu 6x6 clutches modified for my Patrol but the options are endless.
anyway best of luck with it sounds like a beast :D

The American
Forum Guru
Vehicle: NB8B - Turbo

Postby The American » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:42 pm

The fuel surge issue is commonly the sock on the pump pick up being out of place. Mine did this regularly until the sock was adjusted, now it only does it occasionally, in corners (never in a straight line)

BISCUITS
Driver

Postby BISCUITS » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks Alex 2550 & The American for your feedback..
Owned a: Mariner blue NA/tan interior, white NA/hardtop, red 1993 LE/Raptor Supercharger, black 1998 NB, red Clubman/hardtop, silver SP, now an SE.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:07 pm

All the "cool kids" on MT.net are using LSx coils (D585, D514A).

See http://www.miataturbo.net/diy-turbo-discussion-14/lsx-coil-thread-82744/ for this including wiring diagram for SE/MSM (post #50).

There are a lot of knock-off GM coils though so beware of cheap GM LSx coils (the MSD GM coils don't have the longevity of the genuine GM coils so avoid these too).

There are 2 pre-fabbed D585 brackets on MT.net and one D514A bracket ("Singular" bracket) so Google for them if you don't want to make your own or need some ideas on how to mount them.

Here's my D514A solution, the bracket is similar to the Singular bracket except that the coils are mounted upside down from theirs so that the connectors fit under my 3-pt front strut brace:

There's also the FM Big Spark kit but that's hideously expensive and uses LS1 coils (D580).
It does come with everything needed though.
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

BISCUITS
Driver

Postby BISCUITS » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:45 pm

Thanks very much Lokiel.. :)

BISCUITS
Driver

Postby BISCUITS » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:43 pm

Whilst upgrading the coil packs, and adding a fuel surge tank are next on the engine mod list (for ensuring reliability), the little SE has punched out 203kW (approx. 270hp) at the wheels on its first run at 18psi. The GT2860RS may have more left in it but i am a little worried about what the standard SE 6 speed gearbox and diff will hold (power wise). Nonetheless, the SE is very daily-driveable off boost and quite fun 3500rpm onwards.. :D

Return to “NB [1998 - 2005]”