Technical Guides primarily to do with the NB series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

novachild
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Air-conditioning help

Postby novachild » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Hey everyone,

I bought a 99 mx5 early this year from the original owner, he ordered it from the factory without A/C.
I've bought myself a second hand system from someone on the forum and it's finally going to the mechanic soon.

My question is, does it require a a/c compatible crank shaft pulley? also, in it's current non a/c state it's only got one fan; Will I need a second fan for the a/c condenser? The kit didn't come with either.

Thanks,

Matty.

hks_kansei
Speed Racer

Re: Air-conditioning help

Postby hks_kansei » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Pulley should be ok, I think it uses the same pulleys as the power steering, just with a longer belt to do the ac as well.

From factory it has a second fan, so if you want a fully factory system you'll want to grab one, I'm not sure if you could parallel wire the single fan to do both jobs (it works pretty hard as it is)

Thankfully Mazda tended to use the same parts on lots of cars, I would not be shocked at all if the fan used on a 323 was the same specs (measure them up at a wrecker and see, bonus is 323 parts are usually a lot cheaper than mx5 parts)
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

novachild
Learner Driver

Re: Air-conditioning help

Postby novachild » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:38 pm

hks_kansei wrote:Pulley should be ok, I think it uses the same pulleys as the power steering, just with a longer belt to do the ac as well.

From factory it has a second fan, so if you want a fully factory system you'll want to grab one, I'm not sure if you could parallel wire the single fan to do both jobs (it works pretty hard as it is)

Thankfully Mazda tended to use the same parts on lots of cars, I would not be shocked at all if the fan used on a 323 was the same specs (measure them up at a wrecker and see, bonus is 323 parts are usually a lot cheaper than mx5 parts)

Thanks so much, You're help is greatly appreciated! :D

Return to “NB [1998 - 2005]”