NB ignition coil replacement

Technical Guides primarily to do with the NB series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Exbiker
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

NB ignition coil replacement

Postby Exbiker » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:18 am

I wonder if anybody can help. My 1999NB developed a misfire, then 1 cylinder failed. I limped home, researched the forums, & ordered new HT leads & coils from Mania.

But I can't get the old coil twinpack off. The two top nuts bolting the coil frame to the end of the rocker cover were very tight, but I got them off.
as for the bottom nut, I can just about get a spanner (socket & open ender) onto the nut, but there's no room to turn it.

The only way I can see to do this is to remove the water temp sensor. I think it's a WTS just by appearance & the single wire coming from it. It's at the back end of the cam cover on the right side.

So - do I need to do this, or am I missing a trick here? If I do remove the sensor, do I need a new base gasket?

I would greatly appreciate advice, as my beautiful car is inside, missing the last of the autumn hood down time.

Thanks.

Bruce

93_Clubman
Speed Racer
Vehicle: Clubman

Re: NB ignition coil replacement

Postby 93_Clubman » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:29 am

According to following you shouldn't need to remove anything else at the rear of the head. I've removed NA coilpacks & it wasn't that hard, but may be there's a bit more room on the NA. Note following are from a US forum so passenger side references are our dside.

'Remove the three 12mm bolts that hold the coil pack on with a combo of a 12mm socket with extension and a 12mm wrench (preferably angled). (I have the most problem with the third bolt located at the bottom of the coil pack. There is not enough room in there. I position myself on the passenger side and I put a socket wrench with 12mm sockets on the other side. I guide the end of the socket with my left hand and with my right hand on the socket , I push down. Its in there so tight but finally gave in.)' https://www.miata.net/garage/coilpack.html

'No need to remove any other parts to access the lower bolt. Position yourself on the passenger side of the car. Using your left hand, reach in below the back of the intake and below the CAS. Its tight, but it is possible to reach across the back of the engine to the lower bolt. Once you have felt the position of the bolt you'll have an idea of what wrench will work the best for removing that lower bolt. Finding the right wrench might take a few tries. I have found that a plain old open ended box wrench works as well as anything. An offset box wrench, or a stubby gear wrench both work really well'.

'Try this to remove the lower third bolt. Stand on the pass side, hold a socket wrench on your right hand, and guide the socket into the head of the bolt with your left hand. You will almost be embracing your engine. You will have better leverage this way. Just make sure you are turning the right direction'.

Exbiker
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Re: NB ignition coil replacement

Postby Exbiker » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:00 pm

Thanks for that. Guess I'll try again. Maybe the Japanese have smaller hands?

Cheers

Bruce

Return to “NB [1998 - 2005]”