Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Charlie Brown
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC
Location: Sydney, Just out of Dragon Territory over the bridge in the "Shire"

Thermostat Replacement on a MX-5 NC Guide

Postby Charlie Brown » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:42 am

Thermostat replacement on Mazda MX-5 NC

After much searching on the web I realised there weren’t any installation instructions on how to replace a thermostat on an MX-5 NC. I did find and started to use the Moss Motors supercharger installation instructions that include removing and modifying the thermostat but I found they remove more equipment than needed for a thermostat change, so I decided to make notes and take photos to detail the work involved and hopefully help those following me.

First of all I’d better explain the symptoms that alerted me to a problem with the thermostat. My NC is now 6 years old, an October 2005 build with 125,000 kilometres on the clock. I noticed the temperature gauge fluctuated with the speed of the car. On a cool day at a constant speed of 110kph on a flat road, the temperature gauge could drop to show almost zero and then rise again as speed decreased and load increased. Around town the temperature reading moved up and down and was never consistent, so I decided that the thermostat was either stuck partly or fully open and therefore needed to be replaced.

Next question is where is the thermostat located?
In the “old days”, the thermostat on my British sports cars were situated in the head where the top radiator hose connects and was easily accessed by removing two nuts, pulling the housing off and the thermostat out and dropping in the new unit and a gasket and retightening the two nuts, job done in 5 minutes.
Not the NC! The thermostat is located half way down the block, near the air conditioning compressor and under the inlet manifold, so you can’t see it. I quickly realised that this was going to be a time consuming job to get to the thermostat.
The maze to negotiate!!
Thermostat location. Clamp slightly to the left and below the white tag is the radiator hose connection.

Let’s get started. I’ll assume you have some mechanical knowledge; otherwise you wouldn’t be attempting this project.

You need a basic set of tools. A ¼” drive socket set with a 8mm socket (I used one of those El Cheapo Chinese sets), Phillips screwdriver, small flat blade screwdrivers, long nose pliers, a light, torch, jack stands, a container to catch coolant fluid that you’ll discard and replace with new coolant.

1. Jack up the car and place on jack stands. Working under the car, through a hole in the under tray, use a Phillip screwdriver to remove the plug from the bottom of the radiator and drain the coolant into the container. There is over 5 litres so make sure your container is big enough.

2. Disconnect a lead off the battery.

3. Remove the strut brace that goes from the top of the shock absorber to the bulkhead.

4. Disconnect the PVC tube going from the valve cover at the air intake hose (squeeze blue clip to release) and swing out of the way.
5. Remove the intake hose between the air filter box and throttle body.

6. Disconnect the small coolant pipe from the throttle body to inlet manifold using long nose pliers on the clips.
Image.
7. Remove the four 8mm bolts holding the throttle body to the inlet manifold and set aside the throttle body.

8. You now will be able to access the two hoses (radiator and heater) attached to the thermostat. Make sure you still have the container under the car to catch the fluid when removing these hoses and thermostat in the following steps.

Two hoses to be removed under inlet manifold blue O-ring.

9. Using the long nose pliers squeeze the spring hose clamp on the large radiator hose and slid it along the hose past the end of the thermostat. Pull the hose off the thermostat and swing out of the way to access the heater hose. Do the same with the smaller heater hose.

10. It’s been easy so far, now comes the fiddly bit. Look at your new thermostat body and familiarise yourself where the three bolts are located. You can easily see and get to the top left bolt in the photo below; the two bolts on the right side require the ¼” drive and 8mm socket with extension attached. If your set comes with a universal joint the next part might not be so hard. Loosen the top left bolt.

Top left bolt location

11. Next, using a torch to see, looking through the maze of pipes and brackets you will just see the top half of the top right hand bolt. Feed the 8mm socket and extension through this maze and undo the bolt, being carful not to drop it. Tip: You can use some “Blu-Tack” in the socket to ensure the bolt sticks in the socket when you draw it out.

12. The lower right hand bolt is removed by “feel” as you can’t see it. With your left hand fell under the thermostat and locate the bolt head. Feed the socket and extension through the maze of hoses and guide the socket with your left hand fingers onto the bolt head and remove the bolt.

13. The hard part is now done. Remove the top left bolt and then the thermostat will come loose and can be removed.
14. Replace everything in the reverse order.

I used “Blu-Tack” again in the holes of the new thermostat to hold the bolts in place while I refitted it to the engine block. Just make sure that there is no “Blu-Tack” between the face of the thermostat and the block or the bolt head.

How long will this take to do? At a guess, as I made numerous mistakes along the way removing more gear than I needed, I’d say you could finish this job in around 3 to 3½ hours.

On a slightly different subject, I also was experiencing coolant fluid leaking from the coolant tank only when I was at the track. I replaced the cap thinking that it was probably faulty only to find that the next track day the same problem arose.
Turns out that the coolant tank was cracked around the neck where the cap locks into place.

Wakefield 1:09.13 Eastern Creek GP 1:50.198 Ext 2:17.538 Sth 1:02.9003
Phillip Is 1:58.50 Winton Short 1:10.7 Lakeside 1:05.7711 MDTC 45.20

JBT
Speed Racer

Re: Thermostat Replacement on a MX-5 NC Guide

Postby JBT » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:31 am

Very handy instructions Phil. Good warning on the expansion tank too. :beer: :beer: I hope I won't be needing to this job for a couple of years yet.

jackdog
Learner Driver

Postby jackdog » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks again, mazda said there were no error codes but when they took it to bits they found the thermostat was sticking. I've found the local dealer pretty good over a number years and cars so hopefully they've got it right. Pretty expensive though $570 quoted & get it back on Monday.

Charlie Brown
Speed Racer
Location: Sydney, Just out of Dragon Territory over the bridge in the "Shire"

Postby Charlie Brown » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 am

jackdog wrote:Pretty expensive though $570 quoted & get it back on Monday.

:shock: Yep, that's not cheap. There a bit of labour in it though.
I got a set of front Hawk HPS pads and the thermostat from Goodwin and paid $172 and that included transport. :D

Wakefield 1:09.13 Eastern Creek GP 1:50.198 Ext 2:17.538 Sth 1:02.9003
Phillip Is 1:58.50 Winton Short 1:10.7 Lakeside 1:05.7711 MDTC 45.20

pie5
Fast Driver
Vehicle: ND - 2

Postby pie5 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:22 pm

Just replaced the Thermostat in my 2006.
Thanks to CB for the guide, very helpful.

My car was running cold. It was showing mid 60 degrees C in normal driving on my DashDaq.
My car had the limited run short neck Thermostat but I replaced it with a cheaper Ford long neck version.
Now with the new Thermostat, it's showing mid 90 degrees C.

I purchased the Mazda equivalent Ford Thermostat Part No 4M5G 8575 FC for only $35.00.

IMG_3465s.JPG

IMG_3466s.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2019 Racing Orange 30AE #783
2006 Stormy Blue NC 2.4 GWR Header & Exhaust, Progress Springs, Koni Shocks, Whiteline Sways, Recaros.

IMMX5
Driver

Postby IMMX5 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:59 pm

Wish I'd bothered to look here last week before I changed the thermostat!!!

Symptoms - On the Breakfast Club run down to Goulburn last Sunday I noticed the temp gauge was showing near zero (and subjectively the heater wasn't putting out the heat it normally does!). One other club member also made a comment that his was also reading zero (it was cold mind you!!). However, on run back home the gauge did creep back to just under mid-range...

No DTC's came up at all. Connected the OBDII dongol and seems like the max temp i was getting was around 70C.

On the Monday I noted on a short (~5km) run the gauge still did not go back to usual mid-range reading.
Started chasing a thermostat. Got given a bit of a furphy by Mania ito the measurements for short/long thermostats but eventually got one from Repco at just under $90 (Subsequently found Sparesbox had a variety of options incl. the Dayco ranging ~$48 to ~$105).
Note - MX5Parts (UK) has the correct pic for the dimensions of the short/long thermostats! (see pic) - it's clear the difference!

As CB mentioned it's a bugger of a job ito access. (Note - I didn't remove the strut brace as in CB's write up).
The worst is access to the lower right bolt on the thermostat housing. The 1/4" Socket set I have with the long extension fouls slightly - and I didn't have a universal joint at the time! It looks like there is a sort of cut-out in the inlet manifold that may provide slightly better access with a socket angled from just below the bolt - reckon the UJ may just help with access!! (See pic below)

I took the opportunity to clean the throttle body while it was off (I took off both hoses on the throttle body while still still bolted in place).

On the bench the thermostat looked like it was still seating - but I put it in a tub of water (~20C) and the level built up in the main pipe. So the replacement was justified.

Now the coolant temp rises just like it used to (in less than 1.5km typically), runs in early 90C's and the heater is ship shape for the Brass Monkey run!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 True Red 6 Speed - stock currently... (Still!???)

Return to “NC [2006 +]”