Technical Guides primarily to do with the NC series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

Charlie Brown
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC
Location: Sydney, Just out of Dragon Territory over the bridge in the "Shire"

Radiator hose wear point

Postby Charlie Brown » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 pm

While tracking down a mysterious under bonnet squeak I found a problem I'd heard about on the US sites but never located about the radiator hose rubbing on the body work. The squeak was related to it also but I think most will never know about the problem until it's too late.

Carry out the following check.

Disconnect the rubber air intake hose from the throttle body by undoing the clamp.
Undo the two clips holding the two halves of the air filter box together.
Now remove the top half of the box and swing out of the way.
Remove the air filter and then undo the two 8mm nuts that hold the bottom half of the air box to the chassis. You now need to pull the bottom box up as it's clipped in and remove it.

You can now see a large white nylon clip that holds the radiator hose to the body. The clip was the source of my squeak. To the left of the clip, the hose turns down through 90 degrees. The chassis has a curved cut out to allow the hose to clear but if the hose is too far to the right in the clip it rubs on the sharp edge of the chassis and will eventually fail.

I repositioned the hose and then cut a 50mm length of garden hose, split it length wise and then slipped it over the sharp edge of the chassis and glued it into position to prevent the hose rubbing further.

Then I put grease between the clip and body to stop the squeak and refitted the air box in reverse order.

All up this only takes about 10 minutes and may save you being towed at some stage.

Wakefield 1:09.13 Eastern Creek GP 1:50.198 Ext 2:17.538 Sth 1:02.9003
Phillip Is 1:58.50 Winton Short 1:10.7 Lakeside 1:05.7711 MDTC 45.20

Return to “NC [2006 +]”