NC Battery Tray

Technical Guides primarily to do with the NC series

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, Andrew, -alex, miata

malyou
Learner Driver
Vehicle: NC

NC Battery Tray

Postby malyou » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:45 pm

Should there be a rectangular seal which fits the drain opening in the bottom of the tray to provide a seal between the tray and the rectangular drain tube below?

Luke
Racing Driver

Re: NC Battery Tray

Postby Luke » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:10 pm

Drain tube?
That is actually an air pickup tube to provide some cooling from the front of the car.
They do have foam around the connection points which deteriorates. Not really important. The foam realistically was likely there for reducing noise due to the plastic parts rattling against each other then acting as a seal. If it bothers you just put some tape or similar around it.
If you look closely you will also have a second vent that directs the air out of the battery box towards the alternator.

When a battery leaks in a NC it juts makes a big mess anyway all under the tray onto the steel rail as the tray has multiple hols in it.

See this link.
Sort of talks about it all.
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=666011
2022 BRZ 10AE
2021 GR Yaris
2008 Peugeot HDi Lemans, Number 1027/2000, White with Red stripes

malyou
Learner Driver

Re: NC Battery Tray

Postby malyou » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:46 pm

Thanks Luke including the link. I realize now its an air pick-up tube. The foam seal had disappeared (not a great design) so I replaced it with another I cut from a piece of felt and used auto gasket sealant and tape to secure it and the tube in position. Perhaps not really important as you say but tidies things up. Removing the battery tray revealed the white powdery stuff had formed where you said it can so I cleaned it up. Wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Return to “NC [2006 +]”