What ECU for my SE

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

kenson
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: What ECU for my SE

Postby kenson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:45 pm

gslender
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby gslender » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:04 pm

I would be willing to offer assistance with an install, and might be able to buy one at a reduce price too if someone is keen in Brisbane. I'd be interested to see how good we can get the tune and how difficult it isn't given my experience with the MS3 Pro I have running my NB engine in my NA6
MX5 91 NA6 LE completely stock and loving it!
MX5 92 NA8/ITBs Silver "aka Track Beeotch"

Aussie Stig
Stig

Postby Aussie Stig » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Is this applicable to the SP, my guess is YES ?

It is a known fact that 50% of people are of less than average intelligence

bear2230
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB SP

Postby bear2230 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:31 pm

Aussie Stig wrote:

Is this applicable to the SP, my guess is YES ?

Yes, but don't underestimate how good the SP tune is from Lachlan. You will never get it as good as Mazda did. It will be good. Almost perfect, but there will be Idle flutter, Cold start issues, Electrical load issues if everything thing is on (Lights, Aircon, stereo and wipers). Nothing major, but annoying little things that just give you the shits.
If you are keeping it at standard boost and not flogging the arse out of it, don't touch it. If anything take back to chip-torque and they can smooth the edges.

Richard.
Scooby - Silver SP - Build # 53
Snowie - White NB project car. Engineered and registered :)
Vader - Hilux & Gretel the black German Bitch

Nevyn72
Speed Racer
Vehicle: ND - RF

Postby Nevyn72 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:21 am

At that price you're talking around the same money as an Adaptronic by the time it's landed..... :?
"A Convertible has a top you can put down when the weather's nice...... A Roadster has a top you can put up when the weather's bad."

Aussie Stig
Stig

Postby Aussie Stig » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 pm

bear2230 wrote:If you are keeping it at standard boost and not flogging the arse out of it, don't touch it. If anything take back to chip-torque and they can smooth the edges.

Richard.

That is really good to know Richard, if it aint broke I prefer not fart around with it.

I never knew the stock SP setup was held in high regard, seeing as the original engine management system is getting on a bit.

I know there can be a bit of compressor flutter with the SP, I suppose that is something you get used to.

It is a known fact that 50% of people are of less than average intelligence

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm now actively seeking an alternative tuner for my Haltech PS1000. Hopefully I'll soon be able to say the ECU is good and just the tune was bad.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Sean
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby Sean » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:57 pm

davekmoore wrote:I'm now actively seeking an alternative tuner for my Haltech PS1000. Hopefully I'll soon be able to say the ECU is good and just the tune was bad.

It's a great piece of gear and lots of guys have had excellent results with them, if you cant find a decent tuner locally consider looking at some of the guys people have used interstate, sure the cost adds up, but you've already put a lot into the build, and value vs cost it may well be worth it... Just a thought.
When results speak for themselves - don't interrupt.

davekmoore
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NC

Postby davekmoore » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:39 am

Thanks Sean, for the positive affirmation of my Haltech choice. If local tuners recommended by the manufacturer don't respond soon I will indeed be prepared to go on a road trip to get it sorted rather than taking the time to teach myself how to sort it. Mind you, from the info so far squeezed out of Haltechers and others (WHY IS THIS SO HARD?) it would seem the tune goes too lean when hot, and when going from 0% to 10% throttle, and when varying any throttle position by 10% in either direction.

Wouldn't it be great to believe a reasonably intelligent Haltech customer would be able to:

1. Expect his Haltech authorised distributor/supplier/tuner to just be capable of recognising the issue and deal with it?
2. If 1 can't happen, when it's reported to Haltech, for Haltech to want to intervene at their expense to deal with it?
3. Easily access the software to deal with it himself?

Hopefully I'm not being too harsh on Haltech here, and I'm not too much grumpified by a recent 64% customer satisfaction result for myself where I seriously thought I'd made my customer 100% happy. I average 96.4% YTD in a weirdly skewed survey system which says 10 of 10 = 100% and 9 of 10 = 50% and 8 of 10 = 0% and customers' opinions of my performance are mixed with their opinions of, for instance, the appearance of the dealership, over which I have no control.
UK since return: Standard NC2 (horrid), C200K, ND2 BBR, NC2 BBR200 (loved it), NC BBR300 (better than BARMY), V-Special, turbo NB8B (my 84th car)

Juicy HiC
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Postby Juicy HiC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:29 am

Dave I recently used NT performance garage in footscray. They're a haltech dealer and the tuners name is Simon. They did a great job on your old interceptor, both fitting and tune.

sailaholic
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA8

Postby sailaholic » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:24 am

So sounds like the the map for air temp correction is overly aggressive. OR the high iat is just bogus and the ecu is leaning out for hot air that isn't hot.

The other sounds like throttle pump / acceleration enrichment.

Dave, you really need to check what the MAF is being used for if anything. I'd say you need to do it before seeing the tuner as then you will be able to point them at a bogus setup rather then them tuning around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”