Is it worth 'upgrading' from supercharged to tubby

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

Paulus
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NA6 - Turbo

Is it worth 'upgrading' from supercharged to tubby

Postby Paulus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Hey guys,

So i'm currently running a mini MP45 with a 17% reduction putting out about 10.5 PSI on a NA6

Dynos vary, i got 109rwkw recently.. but we discovered a huge outlet leak.. probably @ 120rwkw now i've gone to a TRLane cast outlet.

Problem is, both I and the girlfriend are getting a bit tired of the whine. While i had the charger off, we both loved the car's sound and throttle response.

So it's time to go turbo...

I'll be moving to Melbs soon, so I'm looking at going for an AVO setup, but only a few parts as i'm mostly there.

Targetting the magic 200rwhp number, so like 160rwkw

Questions:
1. Will a GT28 chuck out much more boost? 14PSI? Will i hit my goals
2. I'm already megasquirted and intercooled, so i'll just need tubby, manifold, downpipe and water/oil lines?
3. Should i source these odd parts from AVO in the hope it may assist in legality?
4. Can i get away with just getting a downpipe?
5. Do i need a CAT for Victoria?

Essentailly.. all things considered, will power be much better? #hopeso
td05-16g, megasquirt, custom zorst, msdroid tablet etc

fastfreddygassit
Waitin' for a mate
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Is it worth 'upgrading' from supercharged to tubby

Postby fastfreddygassit » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:04 pm

Ummm...you may need to do a bit of reading up if you want to be aftermarket FI legal in VIC, especially if you use an aftermarket engine management system.
Read this http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=33873
I think the AVO kit needs to be installed by AVO for it to be vicroads & epa legal.
I am thinking that your best way of doing this is keeping the car QLD registered whilst in mexico.

btw 120rwkw on a MP45 NA6 is sweet! :mrgreen:
Have you tried putting your (pod?) filter in a semi-sealed air box to reduce the whine?

in anycase, try to catch up with the Melb crowd at thursday night meet or the monthly cars'n'coffee meet.
:mrgreen:

speed
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NA6

Postby speed » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Please pm me if you decide to sell the supercharger kit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NA6 turbo - 140kw atw - not the most powerful but so much fun :D

meanmx
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby meanmx » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:05 pm

To get an AVO kitted NA6 legal you will need to run their full kit and have it installed by them. Then you will need to go to an engineer who will sign it off. Once you are legal you can then do what you like and hopefully the police will let you off with the appropriate paperwork but it's not always a guarantee. The megasquirt will instantly render your car illegal here. Just as a reference, the AVO kit will get you between 100-110 rwkw. I had a roadlegal AVO car so if there's any questions just ask
2014 VW Mk7 Golf R
2001 Black NB8B viewtopic.php?f=57&t=58136
1986 Mazda Luce Royal Classic (13BT Mazda 929)

Paulus
Fast Driver

Postby Paulus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:36 pm

fastfreddygassit wrote:Ummm...you may need to do a bit of reading up if you want to be aftermarket FI legal in VIC, especially if you use an aftermarket engine management system.
Read this http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=33873
I think the AVO kit needs to be installed by AVO for it to be vicroads & epa legal.
I am thinking that your best way of doing this is keeping the car QLD registered whilst in mexico.

btw 120rwkw on a MP45 NA6 is sweet! :mrgreen:
Have you tried putting your (pod?) filter in a semi-sealed air box to reduce the whine?

in anycase, try to catch up with the Melb crowd at thursday night meet or the monthly cars'n'coffee meet.
:mrgreen:

thanks man, i will hit up the group! Driving seemed pretty 'intense' when I visited last weekend... big need for mid range torque to avoid being constantly embarrassed by VW Golfs.

Noted about the AVO kit- a pointless route.

speed wrote:Please pm me if you decide to sell the supercharger kit :)

will do bud, but will probably just be the charger, bracket and outlet. maybe the tensioner too

meanmx wrote:To get an AVO kitted NA6 legal you will need to run their full kit and have it installed by them. Then you will need to go to an engineer who will sign it off. Once you are legal you can then do what you like and hopefully the police will let you off with the appropriate paperwork but it's not always a guarantee. The megasquirt will instantly render your car illegal here. Just as a reference, the AVO kit will get you between 100-110 rwkw. I had a roadlegal AVO car so if there's any questions just ask

OK- thanks. AVO not big gains and need the holistic kit to be legal.

So the standalone issue continues... I will need to research this- so far nothing on https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/~/media ... icles.ashx
No mention there and google isn't turning up too much..

If I have to take off the megasquirt, it's all too hard with all the bespoke wiring.

I may get around this as i imported the car from the UK, i'll contact the relevant authorities... problem is there's never a guarantee.

Should this be considered in the 'most livable city' metrics?

hks_kansei
Speed Racer
Vehicle: NB8A

Postby hks_kansei » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Pretty sure the programmable ECU rules are part of the EPA Vic legislation and not Vicroads VSI rules, or ADRs.

Basically, the ECU is very unlikely to be picked up on the roadside. BUT, if you get referred to an EPA testing station you're screwed.

Having a turbo or supercharger under the bonnet is a real easy way to get sent to the EPA.

And no, you can't argue that because it was registered and legal in QLD/NSW that it should also be in Vic..... I recall a member on here a while back who learned that the hard way.
1999 Mazda MX5 - 1989 Honda CT110 (for sale) - 1994 Mazda 626 wagon (GF's)

meanmx
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby meanmx » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:37 pm

On the roadside they just look for an AFM or unplug it to see if the car dies. It's the worlds most liveable but also the nanny state.
2014 VW Mk7 Golf R
2001 Black NB8B viewtopic.php?f=57&t=58136
1986 Mazda Luce Royal Classic (13BT Mazda 929)

Paulus
Fast Driver

Postby Paulus » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks.

Regarding legality etc, i'll address that in the other topic. Let's leave that there.

I've sourced a TD05-16g, so it's time to say farewell to being supercharged for the last 5 years.. sad times!

Questions remain:
Paulus wrote:2. I'm already megasquirted and intercooled, so i'll just need tubby, manifold, downpipe and water/oil lines?

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Paulus wrote:Thanks.

Regarding legality etc, i'll address that in the other topic. Let's leave that there.

I've sourced a TD05-16g, so it's time to say farewell to being supercharged for the last 5 years.. sad times!

Questions remain:
Paulus wrote:2. I'm already megasquirted and intercooled, so i'll just need tubby, manifold, downpipe and water/oil lines?

1. Yes
2. Not sure what you are asking, maybe referring to the dump pipe off the turbo?

I'm currently considering the supercharged route. Your comment about the noise concerns me a little. Any chance you could post a video from in the cabin with the roof up, whilst on boost?

Paulus
Fast Driver

Postby Paulus » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 pm

As in just getting the turbo downpipe and no other exhaust parts.

What charger are you getting? Mines a special case as it's an MP45 off an old Mini Cooper s.

If you're going MP62 or M45 (JRSC) you'll be fine. I can post a video after my track day this weekend :)

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:19 am

Paulus wrote:As in just getting the turbo downpipe and no other exhaust parts.

What charger are you getting? Mines a special case as it's an MP45 off an old Mini Cooper s.

If you're going MP62 or M45 (JRSC) you'll be fine. I can post a video after my track day this weekend :)

Not sure what exhaust you have. You could just do DP to cat. But you've done everything else, so why limit your power?
Personally I'd go for a decent 2.5 inch system. Certainly wouldn't go smaller than 2.25

I'm just sussing out the supercharger route.
Mp45 from a mini is a contender. Do you have a build thread? as I'd really like to see how it all goes together Tb's etc...

I look forward to seeing the on track footage too :)

speed
Speed Racer

Postby speed » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:42 pm

speed wrote:Please pm me if you decide to sell the supercharger kit :)

Paulus, Remember this? haha

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”