Begi turbo kits

Discussion regarding Turbocharged and supercharged MX-5s

Moderators: timk, Stu, zombie, The American, Lokiel, -alex, StanTheMan, greenMachine, ManiacLachy, Daffy, Sean

imblue
Learner Driver
Vehicle: 10AE

Begi turbo kits

Postby imblue » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently looking it turboing my 10ae and am having a stickybeak at turbo kits.
Does anything know anything about begi turbo kits and which is the one to get for lower power (150ish whp)?
Alternatively are there any other options out there that would be worth looking at?

Thanks in advance

wasp47
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB SE

Re: Begi turbo kits

Postby wasp47 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:33 am

Hi
If you contact, email, Stephanie at Begi, you will find her most helpful and knowledgeable.
Cheers

ManiacLachy
Forum Guru

Postby ManiacLachy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:34 am

Read up on Begi customer experience, a LOT of bad reviews out there.

bootz
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NB8B

Postby bootz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 pm

NitroDann is the best for service to customers.
Bootz and Boof - On the road to somewhere.

Lokiel
Forum legend

Postby Lokiel » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:03 pm

If you want LOTS of problems, have plenty of time prepared to get it working, don't mind sending items back and forth to the US until they get it right, go with BEGi (do some Googling regarding this, you'll find plenty of unsatisfied customers).

If you want to DIY it yourself with a kit that comes with EVERYTHING and is almost guaranteed to fit with no issues, go with FM (buy your own preferred ECU though, you wont get any tuners in Australia who are familiar with their old and new ECUs). Be prepared for high S&H costs though, they wont "cheap-out" on this to guarantee safe delivery :(

If you want to do it right first time with a minimum of hassles, go to NitroDann.
If he's more expensive than you're prepared to pay, you probably shouldn't even consider the turbo route (most DIYers end up re-workng a lot of their components which takes time and a lot more $$$ than they ever would have been prepared to pay in the first place).

Dann's built+installed a lot of MX5 turbo kits so he knows what it costs to tailor a rock-solid system for your power goals.

General rules of thumb for those who start thinking about the turbo-route:

1. Take your initial figure double it - that's if you do it right the first time (ie. go with a proven kit/installer).

2. If you plan to "DIY-it", have done a LOT of research and use proven components, 2.5x-3x that initial figure (you'll spend time and money getting the right combination of components together).

3. If you plan to "DIY-it", have done a LOT of research and use a "bleeding-edge" turbo (like I did), 4x that initial figure (my 1st manifold+downpipe implementation didn't work).
Don't worry about dying, worry about not living!
Garage Thread: http://www.mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=76716

billybunter
Racing Driver

Postby billybunter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:31 pm

all very good advice from lokiel and when you venture down that slippery track you can spend anything from $6K to $12K pretty easy all depending upon the mods :lol: but be warned your chances of getting much of that back $$ wise is pretty slim :lol: but $$$ aside - you will enjoy the ride.

now should you go nitro dann's path like many others have I can thoroughly recommend him as his work will save you lots of days when your trying to sort out the car some-one else has played with/touched and should you get the turbo mods done - best you get it done right.

in the end it will be one smooth ride :wink: it's even smooth with 300 at the wheels :shock:

anastasic81
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby anastasic81 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Will you be tracking?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

billybunter
Racing Driver

Postby billybunter » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:06 pm

if I replied "yes" i'd probably have someone checking my arms :lol: but the serious answer is no. I've had my bit of fun with the car over the past couple of years. but there's a few with 300 hp or more on the forum and some of those guys race around the track :wink:

smy0003
Racing Driver
Vehicle: NA8

Postby smy0003 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Emailing begi is so painful. A reply every two days means just arranging postage takes a week or more. They have a disclaimer on their website about the customer having to check their orders for completeness, because they are slap-dash.
Would never order from them again.

NitroDann will build you a kit and can also install/tune. When you factor in US shipping and exhchanges (remember to add gst) he's pretty bloody cheap as well.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
[b]Then: Sunlight Silver NB8B
Now: Chaste White NA8

anastasic81
Fast Driver
Vehicle: NB Roadster

Postby anastasic81 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:16 am

So far I can vouch for the nitro Dann's manifold and downpipe and MX5 mania's install. Yes I'm in both camps. I was going to do it on the cheap but after hearing of ongoing issues I went ahead with paying for it to be note by someone with experience and the right tools. MX5mania mentioned Nitro Dann's bits fit really well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Return to “MX5 Forced induction (Turbo/Supercharger)”